• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Please give me your opinion. pacific or brg ?

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello,
for my restauration, I would like to know your opinion. I have a BT7 in pacific green with orginal grey interior with dark green piping. Like this https://www.britishcarpartsco.com/P1010182.JPG
For me it looks like a funny cracker... but it is orginal....and fit to the interior..

My dream colour (dark brg) looks like this https://www.mikeabbasclassiccars.co.uk/Ac_Ace_1955_Green.jpg

What do think about this planned colour change ? (I think pacific green is more for the american market e.g. for a corvette from the 50ths)

Please tell me your <span style="font-weight: bold">true</span> opinon.

Thanks in advance
Michel-who like discreet british painted british cars

Shane

Jedi Warrior
As far as I'm concerned, it's your car, paint it whatever color you want if you're going to keep it. If you're painting to sell it, I would go back to the original color, unless your market responds to BRG better. Are you changing the interior color?

I personally like the Pacific Green only if the coves aren't painted. Normally I like the coves painted, but not for that color for some reason. For a while, it seemed like every other car was painted BRG, but that's less and less now. At the All British Car show here in St. Louis last weekend, I think I could count on two hands the number of BRG cars out of about 150.

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Hi there,

I own both a Healey Dark BRG and a Florida Green big Healey and each car offers something very different. Granted my cars are totally different, used for different purposes, but the colors do create certain emotions which are specific to each. BRG is classy, elegant and refined Pacific and Florida Green are happy, playful and carefree. If you are keeping the car, what color matches your personality the best?
Either way I like them both.

Dougie

dougie

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Didn't think this picture would post.

Dougie,

Patton

Jedi Warrior
There should be no question as to my opinion

Healey%20Pics%207-6-08%20001.jpg

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello,

thank you all for responding. I would like to make the Healey for myself. But my favorit is the dark brg with ivory coves and ivory coloured wire wheels. But it is also like dougie wrote......the characters are very different. My interior is in a very orginal and very good condition . So many arguments speaking for pacific green . First time I hate the pacific green, more and more I can agree with this color.
The european market responds better for brg,but in combination with a black interior.
So I think have to fight with myself....
If someone have further opinions, tell me all.

Michel-who looks out of window and it is raining,remember I live not in california with sun shining and funny coloured cars...;-)

Shane

Jedi Warrior
germanmichel said:
So I think have to fight with myself...

I do that every day...sometimes I even win! :thumbsup:

Good luck!

Ed Kaler

Jedi Warrior
Michael, my .02!!

I would stay with the Pacific just because it WILL be a rarity and not just another BRG car.

:cheers:
Ed

nevets

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I vote for Pacific Green, great color and uncommon, but go with BRG if you can also somehow transform your Healey into an AC Bristol. Seriously, no wrong choice here...whatever makes you happier.

JCSH

Freshman Member
Hello All! this is my first post on the forum - have made a brief intro to myself on the New Members forum. Hope you are not going to flush my head down the bog, or something as an initiation ceremony...

I have a love-hate relationship with BRG. On the one hand I think it is the classiest, quintessential British sports car colour, but there is no getting away from how dull it looks except in bright sunshine, it is the colour for the purist. I really like colour - I have an Amethyst porsche 964 and used to have a speed yellow 993 and before that a Viper green 73 RS. I also own a Red and white BJ7 and when it came to respray time seriously couldnt decide whether to go all red or retain the white coves. Thinking was: all red looks 'tougher' and I wanted to have an element of the 'works rally car' in the look. But I couldnt get away from how elegant the white coves look. In the end I did the white coves and even though one or two people just dont get it - one says it looks like Noddys car! It is now obviously and unmistakably a Healey.

Personally I wouldnt have white coves with BRG for the above 'classic purist' reasons but at the end of the day you must have what you want.

one suggestion occurs: How about having teh car 'wrapped' in BRG and white, then when you come to sell it just remove the plastic?

BTW: I thing the 2 tone car in the pic looks superb but it does have al the fancy chrome bits too, is that what you are planning - IMO the bumpers etc make a huge difference to the way the car presents.

Country flag
germanmichel said:
I have a BT7 in pacific green with orginal grey interior with dark green piping.

... but it is orginal....and fit to the interior..

My dream colour (dark brg)

The Pacific Green will be a more unusual color; and with the interior it would retain its original character. Whether it'd be more valuable in the German market or not is hard to say. If originality is important for you then it's a factor to consider.

The BRG is a very nice color, traditional and it looks very fitting on the Healey.

Mine is still in pieces but I do believe I'll paint it BRG with the black interior.

I'm considering painting the coves white and think it makes a very nice combination, but until I actually come to paint it I'm not sure whether I would or not. There are a couple here BRG/White that look very handsome indeed.

I've seen one that is BRG with the tan interior and that too looks very nice; but, again, when it comes ot actually doing the interior I'll have that hard choice to make.

I'm inclined to believe that it's an either/or choice- the white coves look good on a car with a black interior but I'd think that the combination of BGR/White & tan interior would just become too "busy" and wouldn't look at all as nice as either combination alone.

I wouldn't let the popularity of the colors be much of a factor- do what appeals most to you. It's not like you'll often be parking next to an identical car even with BRG or Healey Blue.

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello,

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] The BRG is a very nice color, traditional and it looks very fitting on the Healey.

Mine is still in pieces but I do believe I'll paint it BRG with the black interior. [/QUOTE]
It sounds like european taste.. :yesnod:
But a BT7 was never painted in brg.

Sorry for my english...By the way James, I visit your Healey Journal....where did you get the power and the time for this hard project ? Plus website creating and documenting.. Your day have more than 24 hours.. :winner1:

Bye Michel- who will paint the pacific green, because of the orginal design and more less work...

Country flag
The BRG will make the car seem longer and lower, in my opinion. The Ivory coves and wheels would be a stunning - in a GOOD way! :smile: - contrast. Can someone photoshop a picture to simulate it?

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
You know I always wanted a BRG car, and got a TR4A in that color several years ago, I disagree that it only looks good in the bright sun, looks great nect to the chrome etc.

I have to say I loved it the color and never grew tired of it or wanted anything else.

If this is your dream car and that is your dream color I would say go for it, you won't be disappointed.

However, I do like the rarity factor as well, and there are certainly a lot of red and BRG cars around.

Two other things, I have used vinyl and leather dyes before and they are easy to apply and adhere very well--so you probably have options for the interior.

Lastly--are you doing a ground up restoration? Changing color correctly on a Healey, where both the body and chassis were painted body color is a lot of work!

pan

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Hi Michael,
Last May we were discussing the procedure for repairing the chassis in your 3000. I may have missed a post from you saying how you intended to proceed. From your current post, it sounds like you are going ahead with the restoration.
What did you decide to do about the frame rails?

JodyFKerr

Jedi Knight
Ok, reality check.

Are you buying and painting the car for *you* or for a potential buyer?

If it's really for you paint it any colour you want. Just keep eveything else correct and it's an easy respray at a later point. But, then you really don't care because you plan on either dying and having the car in your estate or being buried in it.

If anywhere in your mind sits the idea of selling the car, then go by the factory paint. Factory "correctness" is always better than modification on these sorts of cars. The secondary market is either "I've always wanted this specific one and nothing else will do..." or "I want to purchase a good investment for resale purposes.." It's much easier to make happy the latter segment as the former is totally based on emotion.

I got lucky on mine. The BIHMT states that it's Blue with white coves. I would have taken it should it be any other colour just because I was so happy to have one. The fact that it really does match my colour reference is dumb luck.

Consider the rarity of the colour. You may actually be better off painting it the original colour and buy a BRG version that's not selling. Who knows.

Jody

OP
germanmichel

germanmichel

Jedi Hopeful
Hello thank you all,
for giving a vote. I would like to summarize.Someone prefer brg and someone prefer the pacific green. I did not want to separate the car in parts, so it is the most important argument to finish the car in pacific green. But I have to paint all inner wings and the whole car needs new painting. My 12 years old daughter has a very good argument:
"Daddy your dream color is brg, but if your car is finished in brg, your dream is come to the end. You are a classic car freak, and a classic car freak like old things how they are...orginal "
I think it is a real good argument... (She jump two school classes....and speak better english than I...)

@pan: I have a bad conscience for missing a final information post about my accident frame.The reason is, it is not really finished. I have straigthened the rust free (dry state) frame. For the rest of the crumbled areas I pull the dents on the bottom side out with weld on nuts and a pulling tool.
(It works very well). Later I would like to remove the weldseam on the main rail (20cm) and move a stiffener plate thickness approx 2,5mm trough the slot. Than I would like to weld spots through holes on the side of the main rail to fix the stiffener plates in the inside of the main rail. Later it looks absolutely orginal. I hope so...

Thanks Michel- who has the next 2 weeks holiday in south france :smile:)