• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

opinion on top for sale.

1960AH_Pops

Hello everyone!

Its been a while since I have been on, now that the weather is getting better I plan on getting some progress done this year.

I went out to the garage today and pulled the top out. I will not be using the top on this car and thought I should sell it. I really don't know how much to ask for it though. I have seen some for sale before on ebay but never see the selling price.
I was hoping that I could get some opinions on what you think it is worth. It is in great shape structurally with all of the hooks but it would still need restoration. I am posting some pics to get an idea. If this isn't the place for this I am sorry.

This is for a 1960 BT7.

Thanks everyone and hope you all have a good day!
S4020652.jpg

S4020653.jpg

S4020655.jpg

S4020657.jpg

This is the worst part I could find on it

S4020656.jpg

Healeysince59

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
This one is on eBay and will be up today.

Item # 360240176449

My guess it will go $1500 to $2000. The plexiglass looks good which is a plus. I'd like to have one but they have exceeded my budget.

Marv J

OP

1960AH_Pops

Healeysince59 said:
This one is on eBay and will be up today.

Item # 360240176449

My guess it will go $1500 to $2000. The plexiglass looks good which is a plus. I'd like to have one but they have exceeded my budget.

Marv J

Thanks for that, do you think if I ask $900 it would be a good deal for both parties? I am not looking to get rich on this I just want to give someone that is going to use it a good deal.

Chris

ModifiedBJ7

Country flag
Chris,

I'd place the start bid a little higher with no reserve. You can list/sell several times/month on eBay at no charge. Worse case, it doesn't sell after 7 days you relist at a lower start bid. Don't forget, you have to crate the top for shipping.

B

BUNDYRUM

Hello 1960AH Pops,

If you really need to sell this top sell it to hama61. He has an ex works 3000 that needs a factory top.

That's what I would call someone who needs a top.

No bias, just trying to help someone.

Best regards,

bundyrum.

frankenhealey, any buyer would be gettig a very good deal at $900.00, i have an original bj7/bj8 top that was stored as new by the original owner the day he brought it home, im guesstimating its sale price about 4-5 thousand but is not for sale, i also have a non roll up window aftermarket one in good condition worth what i think is in the 7-9 hundred range that will be up for sale soon, so yes i feel $900.00 is a very good price. looking back i sold one like the one you show in 1967 for $100.00 :savewave:

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
If it came with the car I'd keep it. If and when you ever decide to sell the car, the top would definetely be a plus.

If however, you really are serious about selling the top I'm willing to buy it from you, I live in Missouri and will pick it up.

Call me at 3i4-729-0044. Or email at jlore26@sbcglobal.net

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Charlie, you haven't listed anything on ebay for awhile. No more free listings, they charge a "lot" for everything...

I tried to sell an item for a friend and the re-listing fees plus extras cost a total of $52, and the item didn't sell!

hama61

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Hello Bundyrum,

Thanks for your support mail. Allthough the seller initially asked me how to carry on. I just received a message that he changed his mind as he had a local offer.

So back to zero again

regards

Harry

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I have seen beat up tops for maybe $400-500 and nice (but far from perfect tops such as the one I bought for my wife's BN7) for $2000.00 and more. Hers still needed new windlacing,could really use a new headliner as there are a few stains that will not scrub out but it is okay, and the shell exterior was in good enough shape that I could have it painted the color she wanted for only $400.00, so I have less than $3000.00 in it and it looks good. But it is far from perfect and I know of guys who have bought beat up hardtops and had them fully restored and spent upwards of $5000.00 on them by the time they were finished.

So no matter what top you are considering, if you can live with it pretty much the way it is then price is relevant but if you are looking for a fully restored top buy as cheap a shell as you with as few missing parts as possible and still be prepared to spend LOTS of $$ as that is what they cost.

talking tops? i ran into this one yesterday, my wife pulled up the driveway as i was unloading it, she just looked, smiled, and shook her head silently walking into the house, what did that mean? :rolleyes:, anyway......, second picture on next page...

Attachments

• 20494.jpg
    20494.jpg
    34.5 KB · Views: 205

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
anthony7777 said:
talking tops? i ran into this one yesterday, my wife pulled up the driveway as i was unloading it, she just looked, smiled, and shook her head silently walking into the house, what did that mean? :rolleyes:, anyway......, second picture on next page...
You're asking a bunch of guys what your wife meant by looking at the Top, smiling, shaking her head, rolleyes and walking away??? Good luck with that one! Maybe you can ask another woman and get a straight answer? 99.99% of us guys are clueless(me included).
BTW: Your Top looks like a Parrish Top and they're still being made, about $1200.00. At least you won't have to fit the Top to your car like the Factory Tops for BJ7's & 8's.
Patrick

patrick67bj8, strictly a rhetorical question, yes it is made by "parrish plastics" says so right on the small disk on each side, thanks for letting me know they are still in business, ive been google for them without success, ill call them and see if they still have parts, the rear window seal looks like nothing more then that of a v.w. beetle front window. i have a factory top for my car so this one will not be installed on it, but why do you feel this type installs more easily?, or is it im not understanding what you mean? :savewave:

Patrick67BJ8

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
anthony7777 said:
patrick67bj8, strictly a rhetorical question, yes it is made by "parrish plastics" says so right on the small disk on each side, thanks for letting me know they are still in business, ive been google for them without success, ill call them and see if they still have parts, the rear window seal looks like nothing more then that of a v.w. beetle front window. i have a factory top for my car so this one will not be installed on it, but why do you feel this type installs more easily?, or is it im not understanding what you mean? :savewave:
The Parrish Top company, I believe, was sold to Smoothline. https://www.smoothline.com/austin_healey.php

The Top sits over(behind and on the painted area) the "U" shaped chrome surround piece on the BJ7's & 8's instead of "on" top of it. No special fitting required. The Factory BJ7&8's Tops have to be fitted to the car as each car is differentalthopugh a person may be lucky and find a used Top that doesn't required andy modifications to it.

It may be the one biggest reason that many Factory Tops for the roll-up window cars were not sold??
All of the parts and gaskets are still available for the Parrish Top. There's a $50.00 minumum order though.
Patrick

patrick67bj8, interesting, ive installed a few factory tops from one car to another with some adjusting but never did they require "trmming", lucky maybe, im still looking for parrish tops but get sent to "smoth line tops" they do corvettes, do you know where parrish is located?, thanks.