• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

What's the opinion on Porsche 914's?

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
All I know is that it is a flat 4-cyl, rear engine, rear drive air-cooled targa.....
I don't even know what to ask about it.
I'm going to look at one tonight.

:devilgrin:

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Is it a 2.0? Does the driver seat adjust or is it bolted firm...I don't know alot about them but like the concept.

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
The guy said it was a 4 cylinder, so I would suspect it's not the 2.0.
I know nothing about the seat, sorry.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I'm liking them more these days.

I race against an older guy in a 1.7 car and it really seems nice at speed. Because of the slab-sided styling and heritage (obviously), some refer to them as "U-boats".
Personally, I like the way they look.

The four cylinder engines come in 1.7 , 1.8 and 2.0 liters. All are decent, with the 2.0 being the most powerful.

It can get confusing because Porsche also made a 2.0 six cylinder engine available in the 914/6.

Unlike the 944, these cars weren't galvanized, so rocker rust on a 914 can be just as bad as a rusty Spridget or MGB.

Early Euro 914s were badged "VW/Porsche"

By the way, if you refer to a 914 as "rear-engined" at a PCA meeting, you'll get the hairy eyeball. :laugh:
These cars are considered <span style="font-style: italic">mid-engine</span>.

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Thanks gents.
It turned out that I knew more than the owner.
I can see why it was badged VW as well, it's a beetle roadster to all intents and purposes.
The condition it's in, it's never going to see a PCA meet Nial, but thatnks for clarifying.

$200?
That'll do nicely!
Steve, you ready?

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
All I know is, I've seen 914s go like stink on the track, and everyone I know that's ever owned one loved it.

DeltaAir423

Jedi Trainee
Banjo said:
All I know is, I've seen 914s go like stink on the track, and everyone I know that's ever owned one loved it.

Every owner of a 914 I have talked to has loved it too, it's just talking to the Porsche owners that haven't owned a 914, consider them VW's and not Porsches.

R

RonMacPherson

Okay, 914's. A very good car in all actuality.

They came with either a 1.7 or 1.8 or 2 liter engine. Both the 1.7 and 1.8 were VW engines. The 2 liter was a Porsche 4 cylinder that later got sold to VW.... The only idiosyncrasie on the early ones was the shift linkage.... They had very good brakes, non power, very good handling, and the body style would usually fit a lot of people, even tall people(I am 6'3" and fit comfortably in mine) and those that indulged in too much calorie intake.

Big problem was electrics. The fuse box and wiring to the starter became problems when the vehicle acquired a few years or miles. The starter problem would be overcome by installing a relay, The fuse box required replacement....
Most all of the electrics were able to be sourced through VW for a LOT less than Porsche.

The door hinges were one of the most noticeable failures as the body/chassis aged... New hinges needed. Pelican Parts is(was, it's been a while for me now) one of the aftermarket parts purveyors. So you might search for them and see what is on their web site....

Now the 914-6 was a different animal altogether.

The 914 was originally designed to be an Audi sports car but that fell through, so Porsche/VW got involved and sold that way at first, then Porsche took over all sales...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Go kart on steroids. 'specially the 2.0L.

Rust is a BIG factor.

V

vagt6

Back in the early seventies I was able to place competitively in most of the autocross events I entered in my (lightly modified) '70 GT6.

Then, when the Porsche 914s came on the scene, it was all over but the crying. A stock 914 could literally run CIRCLES around practically all the British sports cars of the day. GT6 was quicker in a straight line or quarter mile, but the Porsche outhandled practically everything in its class.

The Porsches (and Datsuns) spelled the end of an era for many of the Brit sports cars, so to speak.

Not a difficult car to restore, lots of fun, great fuel mileage, and fairly well-priced. The best one to get is a 2.0, better engine. The 914-6s are far more expensive.

Go for it, I'd say!

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
Thank you all.
I've never had any experience with an air-cooled motor.
What are the pros / cons of such?

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Pro:
No anti-freeze to fool with (but it does have a radiator :wink: )

Con:
Not always the best heater.
Oil takes more of a beating.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
vagt6 said:
Back in the early seventies I was able to place competitively in most of the autocross events I entered in my (lightly modified) '70 GT6.

Then, when the Porsche 914s came on the scene, it was all over but the crying. A stock 914 could literally run CIRCLES around practically all the British sports cars of the day. GT6 was quicker in a straight line or quarter mile, but the Porsche outhandled practically everything in its class.

The Porsches (and Datsuns) spelled the end of an era for many of the Brit sports cars, so to speak.

Not a difficult car to restore, lots of fun, great fuel mileage, and fairly well-priced. The best one to get is a 2.0, better engine. The 914-6s are far more expensive.

Go for it, I'd say!

Must not have had any Elans in your neighborhood back then. :devilgrin:

Steve

Staff member
Platinum
Country flag
Baz said:
Thanks gents.
It turned out that I knew more than the owner.
I can see why it was badged VW as well, it's a beetle roadster to all intents and purposes.
The condition it's in, it's never going to see a PCA meet Nial, but thatnks for clarifying.

$200?
That'll do nicely!
Steve, you ready?

I'm ready, I'm ready! :laugh:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
vagt6 said:

Well....not quite.

Yes, they were a very good handling car, and would beat things like Healeys, Triumphs etc.

They would not outhandle a well set up MGa, MGB or (especially) Spridget. We had one a couple of classes up from me that I regularly outhandled in my MGA, but then my car was particualrly well set up.

Funny thing - in the day, I test drove a 914 and was blown away by how well it handled (stock, not requiring modification like the British stuff did to match or beat it). I drove one much more recently and my reaction was completely different - I thought how dated the chassis was, although it still stuck pretty well. How thinsg change!

The 914-6 was a giant killer and a really nice little racer - I recall some great races between one and dead stock Morgan Plus 8, Datsun 240Z etc.

V

vagt6

billspohn said:
vagt6 said:

Well....not quite.

Yes, they were a very good handling car, and would beat things like Healeys, Triumphs etc.

They would not outhandle a well set up MGa, MGB or (especially) Spridget. We had one a couple of classes up from me that I regularly outhandled in my MGA, but then my car was particualrly well set up.

Funny thing - in the day, I test drove a 914 and was blown away by how well it handled (stock, not requiring modification like the British stuff did to match or beat it). I drove one much more recently and my reaction was completely different - I thought how dated the chassis was, although it still stuck pretty well. How thinsg change!

The 914-6 was a giant killer and a really nice little racer - I recall some great races between one and dead stock Morgan Plus 8, Datsun 240Z etc.

The competitions I competed in, cars had to be mostly stock. Suspensions could not be modifed, maybe you could remove the hubcaps, but that's about it.

A stock Spridget/MGA wouldn't have a chance with a stock 914.

Modified, well, that's a whole different bag o' cats! :yesnod:

OP
Baz

Baz

Yoda
Country flag
OK, It's a Tangerine ( :pukeface:) 1974 with a 1.8 motor in it.
Completely stock and not in too bad nick.
Except for the tin worm on the rockers, floorpan and all up in the front wheel arches. Quite bad in places.
Motor looks sound despite the evidence of rodents and spiders. Targa is in good shape and even the weatherstipping isn't half bad.
I might have to borrow a friends welder, get a 24 pack......and learn to weld.

coldplugs

Darth Vader
Country flag
Baz said:
I can see why it was badged VW as well, it's a beetle roadster to all intents and purposes.....

You could say the same about early Porsche Speedsters - that isn't necessarily a <span style="font-style: italic">bad</span> thing. (I know - it's a stretch...)

I think 914's of any model are nice little cars once you get past the appearance, and they seem to look better every year. I had a VW 411 many years ago which had a similar (same?) engine and thought it was a fine powerplant. I understand the fuel injection can be tough to deal with when they're older, though. I've always liked aircooled engines although for some reason always had to deal with oil leaks more than I'd have liked.

To me the potential downsides would be rust and access to the engine. (And in this case, the color...) But for the money it could be great fun.

Country flag
Why do you or would you want to bag cats??!! :crazyeyes:
grin.gif
:crazyeyes:

billspohn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
vagt6 said:
The competitions I competed in, cars had to be mostly stock. Suspensions could not be modifed, maybe you could remove the hubcaps, but that's about it.

A stock Spridget/MGA wouldn't have a chance with a stock 914.

Modified, well, that's a whole different bag o' cats! :yesnod:

Yup, the 914 was way better than dead stock British cars, but there were few classes that didn't allow some modest mods like an added sway bar, which was a great equalizer. There were some other cars that handled great right out of the box, as it were - Fiat X1/9 for one.

In the fairly stock classes, I was always thankful that the MG could be substantially improved within the allowed rules. For awhile I ran a very stock class, but was allowed to port the head to gasket size, and add a sway bar. I ran against an Alfa. The Alfa was much better than the MG to start with, and had been placed in the class on the basis of power to weight ratio. It could do all the allowable mods and would gain almost nothing, whereas the same work done to the larger engined MG resulted in a difference that made it a potential class winner.