• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Mechanical or Electric Fuel pump?

veale001

I have a mechanical pump on my 73 tr6 and it seems to be leaking alot of fuel from the cover retaining bolt? The cover doesn't want to seal up properly? Being a noobie I started by opting to get a new one. It seems to be the pretty run down. Was that a too quick to pull the trigger move?

My next question was if I were to replace it, what are the pros and cons of a mechanical or an electric pump? Also how much work is going from a mechanical to an electrical?

Thanks for helping a noobie.

Help is always appreciated.
W

T

Tinster

Hi Warren!

I also am an non-mechanic TR6 owner.
I had several mechanical pumps fail due
to poor quality fabrication. I was left
stranded only once before I decided to
install an electrical pump back-up.
I also started to carry a few mechanical
pumps as spares; just in case.

I hard wired the electrical pump with an
off/on switch, installed a length of fuel hose
to reach the carbs. It was real easy even for
a non-mechanic like myself.

Paul Rego kindly gave me one of his beautiful
rebuilt original mechanical pumps and I've since had
no mechanical pump failures in almost 2000 miles
of driving. The elec. pump backup gives me peace of mind.

They cost very little money and you can do the entire
project in about 4 hours for about $50..

Good luck.

Dale (Tinster)

T

Tinster

Warren, I am NOT noted for
my mechanical skills. My car is usually broken down.

Dale (Tinster)

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My approach is a little tamer than Dale's ... on long trips, I carry one of the little Facet electric pumps in the center of the spare tire, along with some extra soft fuel line and some "clip leads" (lengths of insulated electric wire with alligator clips on each end, available at Radio Shack). If the mechanical pump should fail, it's a fairly quick task to temporarily bypass it with the Facet. And the separate components come in handy for other things; for example to empty the tank when it needs to be removed for some reason.

But in 30 years and perhaps 250,000 miles of TR operation, the stock mechanical pump has never failed to get me home. I have had some leaks, especially when CA first switched to alcohol in gasoline, but I was fortunate enough to not have that happen while far from home.

All of my on-the-road fuel pump failures have been electric pumps. Once in a Stag, once in my motorhome, once in the wife's Dodge Caravan. Obviously 3 totally different models of pump. IMO the stock mechanical pumps (not cheap aftermarket ones) are more reliable. And once rebuilt with components compatible with gasohol, will last darn near forever.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Warren, they can be rebuilt and if yours is still the original I would stick with it.
There was a problem with rebuild kits out there and I am not sure it is corrected yet.
Paul and others will let you know on this. Also visit Paul's site when he chimes in,if he's not too busy playing GOLF, he has a great pictorial on it.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
Any car over 20 years old that I have ever had, I have always gone with electrical, and kept a spare in the spare tire well. I usually mount them somewhere out of the way, but easy to get to in case I have to swap it on the side of the road, although I have never had to.

I used to use the mechanical ones, but after years of trying to find rebuild parts and the fact thats its not as easy to change.

I also learned, that after having back to back to back fuel level sender issues, that I get no warning, with a mechanical fuel pump, that I'm almost out of fuel. But with the electrical I start getting a loud tick-tick-tick noise when I have about 1-4 miles of fuel left (depending on how far from the carb(s) the placement of the pump is).

Point is, electricals have never let me down, and mechanicals have. Think about this too... why do modern cars use electric fuel pumps?

Sure electrical pumps aren't they way to go for a purist, but I'd rather have fun driving it instead of wondering if I'm going to have to push my pretty little car through the busy intersection.

The only hard part that you non-mechanical guys would have with the change to electric would probably be wiring into turning on with the key. But I think its very worth it, especially if you ever have to change the pump in the rain! (learned my lesson on that one with a previous VW)

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
I too carry an electric as a spare. Just a cheap one from my FLAPS (Autozone):

Electric%20Pump%201.JPG

For the TRs 3&4 I had to fashion a reducer out of a couple of barbed fittings to go from the 5/16" pump outlet to the 1/4" carb line.

Electric%20Pump%202.JPG

Have used it many times, though only once on my own car.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
pjsmetana said:
Think about this too... why do modern cars use electric fuel pumps?
Because they need the high, constant pressure for fuel injection. They also usually have them inside the fuel tank, to keep them cool; and big alternators/batteries so the extra 8-10 amps of power draw is not an issue. Plus provisions to deal with the entire fuel tank being heated by the pump.

And if one fails, you first call a tow truck, then the bank to ask for a loan so you can pay a mechanic to drop the tank. BTDT.

pjsmetana

Jedi Warrior
TR3driver said:
pjsmetana said:
Think about this too... why do modern cars use electric fuel pumps?
if one fails, you first call a tow truck, then the bank to ask for a loan so you can pay a mechanic to drop the tank. BTDT.

I guess I don't think about the possibility of it failing since my daily driver is a Honda. But I guess your right, I seem to recall that the Ford F-150 uses 3 pumps... and oh how I do hate trying to fix any modern Ford.

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
<span style="text-decoration: underline">"Think about this too... why do modern cars use electric fuel pumps?"</span>

IMO, ONLY because manufacturing a quality mechanical pump can not be done cheaply.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Frank, I think that you may be right.

Rebuilding these pumps is easy. Just get the best and latest kit here: Then & Now Automotive

And follow along with my page here: Fuel Pump Rebuilding

The new kits are much better and have more parts that what is on that page from my web site. You can see the difference in the new one that I just did for Panda here:
Cross Forum post because I haven'y updated my site yet

Just follow the thread about half way and you'll see the parts that come with the kit.

Good luck!

Paul

TR6BILL

Luke Skywalker
I bought a brand new after-market fuel pump from The Roadster Factory that is a direct replacement for the OE AC Triumph fuel pump. The pump was gorgeous. The filter screen inside was junk! Nylon screen that curled within a year and caused the pump to leak from the cap profusely. I have yet to contact Brosky's source for fuel pump rebuild parts. I have instead chosen, out of pure laziness, to buy another (a fool and his money) TRF after-market pump. Running right now but not for long. Will follow Brosky's lead soon and rebuild my new, old pump (hecho in Italy) and install it, then rebuild the new, new pump and keep it as a spare. If you have an old OE pump, rebuild it. They don't make them like they used to. And the rebuilder should use a brass filter screen.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Bill,

These new kits have brass screens included, as well as a seal for the bottom diaphragm shaft. Aircraft grade neoprene that is resistant to the new fuels as well. These guys know their stuff. One phone call to them and you'll understand that clearly. If I remember correctly, the owners name is Bill.

PeterK

Yoda
(sarcasm) Oh yeah, and install a secret electric fuel pump switch under the dash. That should keep my car from being stolen - no one would ever think to look there! Funny how many people have done this.