• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

More on mechanical fuel pumps

T

Tinster

I have had 6 or 7 flatbed rides home due to failed mechanical fuel pumps. Paul Rego kindly gave me a beautifully rebult, OEM fuel pump. It lasted almost 200 miles.

Some folks laughed when I installed a parallel, hard wired, electric fuel pump system. Well it saved my arse today. Paul's pump failed in the middle of an intersection froma region mall to expressway. Cops were were on me immediately. Talk about a road-block!

Within ten minutes I had my hard wired electric fuel on line and drove drove home. I highly recommend ANYONE with a mechanical fuel pump install a hard wired electric pump in your earlu TR6s. Saved my arse today. The mechnical pumps are POS, IMO. I've had many in my Six.

trpumps.jpg

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Please pull it apart Dale. I'd like to know what failed in there. Mine has about 2,000 miles on it and I don't drive it much at all. I'm always worried about gummed up fuel from my lack of driving so I use Marvel gas treatment every other tank fill up. So far no issues.

I'd like to see if the diaphragm or something else failed inside. I can't believe that it would only last 200 miles.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Dale and Paul, Wow, that is hard to take, having that many failures. Dale, are you getting the control arm on top of the cam that runs the pump. I have seen them run off the bottom portion, but not for very long.

Wayne

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Wayne,

Dale has had that pump on for a couple of seasons now, so he installed it correctly. I'm just puzzled as to what let go after all this time. There was an earlier thread a month ago about fuel pump reliability and Dale posted the following, so something went wrong shortly after posting this:

"Randall! You would not be referring to a certain red, 1969 TR6 as having a redundant pump would you?

I went thru 4 mechanical pumps in less than 1000 miles of stop and breakdown driving. Paul Rego kindly sent me a beautifully rebuilt/restored mechanical pump and Don sent me a nice electric pump. I installed them in parallel with an easy switch over. 6000 miles later, Paul's pump is working just fine."

I'm just wondering if the diaphragm was eaten up or if something is inside the screen blocking the output. Or, it could be the valves. I'm sure he'll have it apart soon and the mystery will be solved.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Paul, I too will wait for the answer, very puzzling.

Wayne

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
My eyes are failing again. In Dale's first post about an hour ago, he says "Paul Rego kindly gave me a beautifully rebult, OEM fuel pump. It lasted almost 200 miles."

But Paul writes that in an earlier thread, Dale wrote "6000 miles later, Paul's pump is working just fine."

Could someone help me understand what's actually happening here?

Thanks.
Tom

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
I didn't dream my response up Tom. It was quoted from an earlier thread in December about fuel pump reliability:

BCF Fuel Pump Relliability

I'd really like to know what failed, because I have a rebuilt pump on mine that was rebuilt with the same kit only two weeks earlier than the one that I sent to Dale. It came from this page on my site: Brosky Fuel Pump Rebuild

poolboy

Yoda
Country flag
NutmegCT said:
My eyes are failing again. In Dale's first post about an hour ago, he says "Paul Rego kindly gave me a beautifully rebult, OEM fuel pump. It lasted almost 200 miles."

But Paul writes that in an earlier thread, Dale wrote "6000 miles later, Paul's pump is working just fine."

Could someone help me understand what's actually happening here?

Thanks.
Tom
Does smell fishy.... :sick:

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
In my experience over the years with many Triumphs, the OEM AC mechanical fuel pumps are like anvils and almost as reliable. The main differences are that anvils usually don't get sediment, varnish and rust from the gas tank in them, and they don't usually need to be rebuilt every....30-40 years. :wink:

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
I agree 100% with Andy, there's not much in there to fail and it's fairly foolproof, two little one way valves and a diaphragm. I'd have a look inside for crud. My TR3 pump is 50 years old and works fine (ok it was in storage for almost 40 years). My anvil, on the other hand, is only a bit over 100 and already needs a new face. Tom

pdplot

Yoda
Country flag
The Piper Warriors and Archers I flew for many years had both a mechanical and an electric pump. The electric pump was only switched on for takeoff and landing. before taking off, we always shut off the electric pump just to make sure the mechanical pump was ok. I never had any problem.I may install a bypass electric pump on my TR-6 as I posted earlier.

PD

donbmw

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I have had only 3 pumps fail. 2 of them on my TR3 the pivot pin which was pened in place came out. The pump I installed the valve came out found they where not pened reinstalled and this pump is still being used. I have installed a electric pump inline that because of vapor locking I am have with todays fuels..

Don

glemon

Yoda
Country flag
trrdster2000 said:
Dale and Paul, Wow, that is hard to take, having that many failures. Dale, are you getting the control arm on top of the cam that runs the pump. I have seen them run off the bottom portion, but not for very long.

Wayne

This has got me curious, I have the pump on my TR250 with the sediment bowl pointed down, which made sense to me as it purpose is to accumulate sediment, I don't know which way it is supposed to go, but I do know it is darn near impossible to get the oil filter in and out, is the sediment bowl on a 250/6 supposed to go up or down? I assume the correct orientation of the sediment bowl will get you the correct orientation of the arm....

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Our pumps don't have those bowls. Only one way to go on the engine. It never would have gone 6,000 miles if installed incorrectly. Very interesting development.

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Andrew Mace said:
The main differences are that anvils usually don't get sediment, varnish and rust from the gas tank in them,

Dale - didn't you post about crud in your gas tank a year or so ago? I remember a picture of what came out of there; really nasty stuff. How does that fit this timeline?

Mickey

OP
T

Tinster

Tom and Paul- An old feller like me is prone to typos, expecially on this new laptop the Mrs bought for me. Sorry!

I will type this slower. Yes! I have several seasons and about 6000 uneventful miles on Paul's beautiful pump. It is installed correctly. My fuel tank was brand new from Tony so no crud or rust. I buy my Hi Test fuel from only one gas station. I also put fuel additive every other tank or so.

I'll pull the pump out and see what's up. Something must be gummed up, who knows. I'll post what I find. Not in good health today- so later this week.

Thanks all

D

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
OK - I knew you replaced the tank, but wasn't sure of the timeline.

Hope you get to feeling better - too many fish out there with your name on 'em!

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
Well, the car can sit while you rest. Get better and let us know what you've found.

Good luck.

Brosky

Great Pumpkin
The pumps that I rebuilt were all original units (with the levers) that were 30 plus years old. Most were filled with crap inside, but the disassembly and micro-polishing took care of that. These were spotless when I assembled them.

They are pretty bomb proof unless something gums them up, which is always my concern with the gasoline of today. Or, the fuel may attack the rubber, but I did use the best kits from TRF at that time, so we'll have to wait and see.