• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Low oil pressure after spin on filter

jmwuva05

Country flag
I recently replaced my original canister filter with the spin on kit from spridgetmania. Installed easily without any problems. I havent really driven the car other than around the block every 2 weeks since it got cold 3 months ago. Yesterday I took it out for a couple of miles and noticed my oil pressure had dropped to reading lower than I ever saw last summer or fall, like 5-10!! I immediatley turned around and headed home. Car started faintly knocking the last half mile. In the garage after cooling down oil is completely full. Car normally ran at 30-40 depending on load and at hot idle stayed at 25 with the old setup. Again this was the first time I took the car out for any distance since changing to the new filter. The engine had new bearings and oil filter put in it in the mid ninties and was only driven a few miles before my purchasing it. I am going to get a new pressure relief spring and check there first. Also I put one of those K&N high performance filters on instead of the delphi one that came with the kit. Is there any way this filter could be too restrictive. I am using valvoline 20-50 as I always have. Any advice appreciated

Country flag
So ... how many miles since the rebuild?

Any metal "sludge" in the pan?

R

RonMacPherson

I bought a purolator oil filter and installed it on the family Accord once. No oil pressure...

couldn't believe it. Replaced the purolator with a Fram, oil pressure returned..

Pythias

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Seems I recall hearing NOT GOOD things about K&N OIL filters. Their AIR filters are top rate, BUT....

Your pressure IS still within "spec". Do you really want the oil pressure to read higher BECAUSE the filter is restrictive? Or do you just want the filter to actually FILTER the oil?

Billm

Yoda
Country flag
When you pull the oil pressure assy out look at the plunger before you go too much further. If the tip looks bad then try putting a 1/2" ball bearing in there (along with the spring, etc :smile: ) and (after you change to another oil filter) start the car and check your pressure.Your original readings of 30-40 are lower that I would be happy with and it could be your plunger bypassing too much.
Bill

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I'd suggest you reverse the procedure first and see what happens - If oil pressure returns, you know where the problem lies, then it is either the fitting or the filter - but, you've narrowed it down. With all the respect in the world to Bill above, don't introduce too many variables all at once - don't ask me how I know.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Yeah, if all was good before and now, after installing this kit, the pressure has dropped, I'd probably re-install the cartridge filter setup and see if pressure returns.

I know you don't want to hear this but based on what you've said, even if the pressure returns, I'd drop the pan and look at the rod bearings.
I'm not sure that any knocking could be considered faint.

If your rod bearings have worn down due to oil starvation, things will go south pretty quickly.
You might be able to swap in a new set of rod bearings and save things.

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
<span style="font-size: 12pt"><span style="font-weight: bold">BUMMER!! :wall:

I HOPE it turns out to be something easy (& CHEAP!) to fix!</span></span>

(I just HATE IT when I'm trying to improve/upgrade & end up wishing I'd left it alone... I guess that's where the phrase "If it works don't fix it" comes from....)

Best of Luck!

-Bear- :cheers:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If I was a guessing kind of guy who actually knew something I would suspect that the wrong filter was installed.

OP
jmwuva05

jmwuva05

Country flag
Thanks guys for the input. I had to go out of town this weekend for a wedding and now that I get home there is a lot of snow on the ground so I havent taken the thing out yet after changing back to the delphi filter supplied with the kit.
Concerning the engine it had new bearings and rings put in back in 1990 from old recipts that came with the car. The thing ran so well with plenty of power, no smoking, and no significant oil leaks other than the old canister filter that I didnt even bother taking the engine apart especially since I plan to have Hap rebuild in the next year or so when I get the money together with some inconspicous performance upgrades.
I checked the pressure relief spring and everything (length and strength) seemed fine before I put the engine back in the car.
I wouldnt have worried about the lower pressure if that faintknock didnt start after a couple of miles. I did let the thing warm up in the garage for about 30 minutes and rechecked the oil pressure readings with a gauge and I get 15-20 at hot idle and 40 under load. When all the snow is off the ground I will take it out and see if the delphi filter gives better readings.
Again thanks for the input.

OP
jmwuva05

jmwuva05

Country flag
Oh I havent taken the oil pan down yet but while I was restoring the car I id take it off and didnt notice much sludge at all nor was any signs of metal shavings or excessive wear. I will take the pan down after I see if the other filter fixes things. If not I maybe sending the engine to Hap sooner.

OP
jmwuva05

jmwuva05

Country flag
Well let the car warm up in the garage for 30 minutes. Pressure on crank up now 50-55. Warm idle 20-30. Warm under load 35-45. No knocking heard oil still really clean but changed it anyhow. When the snow melts I will take it out and see how things are on the road. Seems like that K&N filter was the cause or at least I hope so. I have used those in my dodge ram without any problems whatsoever. They seem to be such well made filters and the 1 inch nut on the end makes removal easier. I suppose a filter will make a lot more difference in an engine with 45 HP versus one with 350+

Sarastro

Obi Wan
Silver
Country flag
The thing to remember is that the oil pressure is measured at the right-side oil gallery, which is AFTER the filter. So, if you change something at the filter, and the oil pressure suddenly drops, while it was OK before.....that pretty much has to be something at the filter. Either the filter itself, or something went together wrong.