• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

How low does the convertible top seat

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hi guys,

I'm in the process of tweaking the fit of the convertible top frame. (Going on two months now...don't get me started with all the set backs...)

How low does the main top bow settle into the holding area behind the rear seat?

I have about an eight of an inch clearance at each corner going down past the chrome trim finisher.

It maybe not be enough once I get the top material on.

Does the main bow settle down in the holding area, or is it just above it when the top material is installed?

Now I'm sure someone would have pointed out that my frame should be grey. And it was. My new top will be a Robins, Sunfast in blue. Unfortunately the blue Sunfast exterior is not available with a grey headliner. Headliner choices were tan or black. I choose the black headliner, that's why my frame is now power coated satin black.

Cheers
Roger

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
You look like your as far down as it goes , and yes it does not sit up proud of the shroud. The top boot covers it.. I'm at the same stage with a BJ7 . Could you take a picture for me of the long spring and where its attachment loop is located? I'd appreciate it. The car I'm putting togeter came to me in pieces and those little clips for the spring are missing. Kevin

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Brinkerhoff said:
Could you take a picture for me of the long spring and where its attachment loop is located? I'd appreciate it. The car I'm putting togeter came to me in pieces and those little clips for the spring are missing. Kevin

Hello Kevin,

Both the top of the spring and the bottom of the spring should slide through a hole. You'll notice I screwed a D-Ring in the bottom hole (that the spring should pass thru). That D-Ring makes getting the spring attached there much easier. I don't think that added one inch affects the spring tension. Others may chime in with their thoughts about that.

Cheers,
Roger

Brinkerhoff

Jedi Knight
Thank you, thank you. Just what I wanted to see. Have you checked the fit of the top frame with the doors rolled up? My top frame was tweeked or something and I have hours messing with it to get it to fit with the door glass up. Kevin

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Brinkerhoff said:
Have you checked the fit of the top frame with the doors rolled up? My top frame was tweeked or something and I have hours messing with it to get it to fit with the door glass up. Kevin

Yo Yo, Kevin,
You're doors roll up? :savewave:

Don't get me started with how many hours I've spent shimming, elongating the mounting holes, tweaking the bows, modifying the wood in order to get a consistent window to wood gap.

All fun all the time.

Country flag
I've never seen a spring attached to that D-ring before, and I've worked on plenty of original cars.

The spring hook goes into the welded pad on the inner sill (where the D-ring mounting screw is).

My apology for the poor picture quality :frown:

IMG_3347.sized.jpg

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Randy Forbes said:
I've never seen a spring attached to that D-ring before, and I've worked on plenty of original cars. The spring hook goes into the welded pad on the inner sill (where the D-ring mounting screw is).

Hi Randy,
That's because I"m creative and working alone. As you guys know, getting that spring in that hole isn't easy. Anyway, I guess I did not make it very clear, sorry:

"Both the top of the spring and the bottom of the spring should slide through a hole. You'll notice I screwed a D-Ring in the bottom hole (that the spring should pass thru)."

The bottom of the spring typically will go thru the hole that I put the screw in that I used to attach the D-Ring. The D-Ring just makes it easier than trying to get the spring thru that little hole.

Cheers,
Roger

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
So, guys who have their tops done, does the large metal bow settle down in the holding area or is it above the chrome finishing edge, when your top is resting in the down position. A photo would be helpful.

Thanks,
Roger

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
No matter how many ways I've tried to get the front of the top down below the chrome surround it just won't work. BTW you might pickup a little additional clearance on the sides (1/8") by pulling the top frame forward, careful to not misalign the wooden top bow.

Attachments

• 24004.jpg
    24004.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 444
OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Thanks Johnny,

Could someone post a photo with the top material on, side view, in the down settled position. A photo like mine showing the clearance of the corners or a side view showing how low it settles in the holding area.

My two corners have about 1/8" clearance without material, and I'm trying to figure out once the material is on, is that enough clearance?

I may need to elongate the mounting holes more than I already have, to try and move the top forward to allow more clearance for the bow corners. However I can't go much more, for it will affect where the front wood bow settles.

I think I'm fine, but if not, I need to address that area now before I have the material installed.

Once the top material is on, the top will not settle anywhere a low as my photos here without material. I just need some sort of reference at ground zero.

I guess this isn't hot topic. As usual, I'll plug away, back engineer and end up with what I think is all I can do. And I'll be happy with that.

Cheers,
Roger

Country flag
Roger, if you manage to get the top lower, the boot cover wont fit properly. I've never seen one lower than what you got. How did you get the gas filler cap that low?

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
tahoe healey said:
Roger, if you manage to get the top lower, the boot cover wont fit properly. I've never seen one lower than what you got. How did you get the gas filler cap that low?

:savewave: Richard,

"Once the top material is on, the top will not settle anywhere a low as my photos here without material. I just need some sort of reference at ground zero."

I'm replacing my Everflex top with a Sunfast. When all is said and done, if the boot cover needs tweaking, I'll have the shop do that also.

Stock gas cap, no mods.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Roger, I think you're right on track. A couple of points to remember is don't "pinch" the fabric when lowering the frame, also check the owners manual (blue cover) it tells you how to properly lower and stow the top. I think there's photos/drawings as well.

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I'm now focusing on the front and side aluminum rails.

I'm trying to figure out why the front aluminum rail does not line up with the side aluminum rails.
Also the front rail and the side rail height is not the same. Side rail is larger?

I also noticed that the front of the side wood has a bevel in it. Yet the aluminum rail is straight and does not bend down into the beveled wood. Because the aluminum rail is L-shaped, I can not bend it to follow the bevel of the wood, unless I cut a slit in the aluminum. I'm not sure that is the answer, for I would figure it would come pre bent to follow the wood or it would have had a slit in it to bend to what ever you need.

Would someone pull their seal away from the top front corner and shoot a photo of what yours looks like.

Thanks guys, I'm getting closer everyday.
Cheers,
Roger