• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

fuel filter

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Do our cars have a fuel filter? Where?
What about adding one?
Where should it go?
What type, or brand is recommended?

My new gas tank had gas sitting in in over 1 1/2 years. Some have said that being the tank is new, just empty the gas, but to install a fuel filter to clean out any stuff that may make it to the engine. Sound right?

Cheers, Roger 64 BJ8

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Roger,
#44 on the Moss site shows the carb filter. Stock, the Healey didn’t have an inline filter. I don’t think there is a “wrong” place to put one. Some people put them just upstream of the carbs for ease of checking and changing. I put mine between the tank and pump. I used one that can be cleaned.
185684-filter.jpg

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I used the old VW type replaceable filters just before the carbs. Fairly easy to reach and change, inexpensive to replace and easy to find. And when you remove an old one, they make a great mobile for hanging over a baby's crib so that the kid will grow up appreciating clean fuel (and as an added bonus, always have the pleasant odor of gasoline in the room).

zblu

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Was wondering GregW, as I replaced copper with copper and the brakes guy said "you realise this does not comply now!",
my answer was yeah , but they dont rust, and besides its a yesteryear car!

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
Hi Zblu,
They are the Moss Cupro/nickel lines.

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Was wondering GregW, as I replaced copper with copper and the brakes guy said "you realise this does not comply now!",
my answer was yeah , but they dont rust, and besides its a yesteryear car!

[/ QUOTE ]
Hi Guys,
A number of materials have been used for brake lines. Plain steel which is subject to rust, & steel with copper, lead, or zinc coatings which prevent rust. Also stainless steel which is hard to work.

IMO, the worst is pure copper which is easy to work but greatly subject to fatigue cracking. Pure copper has not been allowed in the USA for many years. The various steel lines were standard.

The best material commonly available now, is 10% nickel/90% copper alloy which has been used in Europe for many years. It is relatively easy to work & has great resistance to corrosion & fatigue cracking.

It's very likely that any line intended for brakes that is commonly called copper, or appears to be copper, is actually the nickel/copper alloy.

If by chance, pure copper were used, IMO, it's pretty risky due to the possibility of fatigue fracturing. This applies equally to fuel lines. Even most of the 50 year old LBC's originally used steel brake & fuel lines. Short lines that are not subject to vibration excepted.
D

why

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
There is a little clear plastic filter available at any autoparts store for about 3bucks, cut line anywhere in the engine bay, put it in with hose clamp on each end and for 5 bucks your on your way. Advantage of being able to see in to tell if filter dirty, if it is, just 60 secs and 3bucks for another.

Dave Russell

Yoda - R.I.P
Gold
[ QUOTE ]
There is a little clear plastic filter available at any autoparts store for about 3bucks, .

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think much of plastic fuel filters anywhere in fuel lines. Especially in the pressure side & in hot engine compartments. Very fragile compared to metal filters & subject to weakening when things are hot. The last place that you need a cracked filter. The see through advantage is not very great when you think about it.

A remote possibility is that if a plastic filter collects any water & is subjected to freezing temperatures, the plastic will break. Result is a large fuel leak. Had it happen once.
D

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The little plastic filter is the same as the old VW filters I've used since the 60s. I've never seen on crack or break. Granted, the one you use looks far better, but I don't think the plastic filters are any bigger risk, less effective and certainly a lot easier to deal with. As for being able to see how dirty they are, that's a huge advantage for those of us who aren't climbing into the engine too often. Sometimes they stay clean for a long time, and others they get clogged in a month. I can understand why you would want something better, but the plastic ones are a great alternative for us simple folk.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I don't think much of plastic fuel filters anywhere in fuel lines. Especially in the pressure side & in hot engine compartments. Very fragile compared to metal filters & subject to weakening when things are hot. The last place that you need a cracked filter. The see through advantage is not very great when you think about it. D

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't mind plastic filters if in the right place and the engine compartment is NOT the right place. In fact I don't think it is the right place for any fuel filter regardless of material--just two more fittings that, if loosened, will spill raw gas on hot parts, etc.

I have a plastic see-through filter tucked up under the left rear wheel arch, spliced into the fuel line between the tank and the pump with rubber hose. It is easily serviced by removing the left rear wheel and because it is upstream of the pump protects it from becoming plugged up. I know there are cleanable filters in SU pumps but I also run an auxiliary NAPA-type pump that has no cleanable filter and could become clogged under worst-case conditions.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Look at GregWs pic, preaty brass, shiney. Pleas tell me how you do that, not shine it but keep it that way? Is it coated and if so with what? Thanks. The brass surely looks nice.

Skip & Lynne

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have one that has a thick glass body and you can take it apart and clean it if you need to. I don`t think the glass would break if you dropped if from 10 ft onto the concrete

GregW

Yoda
Platinum
Country flag
Hi Jlaird,
Thanks. It certainly helps to take photos of brand new parts freshly installed. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif I did use a clear coat on the 4-way brake-line connector up front. Just a rattle can clear paint. After 4 or so years, it still looks good.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well Shg, I have been using that same VW Type Plastic filter on one of my cars for many years without any problems.However, after the price went up from$1.00-to-$3.00 being "frugal"- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif- I decided I could save a buck by buying a Russel filter with a cleanable sintered bronze core for use on the other car.---Fwiw---Keoke- /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Oh boy, thanks. I got quite a bit of alum, brass, and copper in the Bugeye engine room. Will clear coat it all after a final polishing. Looking forward to it.

Jack

OP
AUSMHLY

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
I appreciate all the replies. Now I'm wondering where the best, safest, place to install it is.

As always, thank you. Roger

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
I appreciate all the replies. Now I'm wondering where the best, safest, place to install it is.

As always, thank you. Roger

[/ QUOTE ]

Well Roger, I like them mounted on the left hand shroud support under the bonnet close to the carbs,that way I kin keep an eye on em and change them quick as a /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif---Fwiw---Keoke