• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Fuel Filter installation

62BT7

Country flag
Dear 66: I just put one in my 62 Mk II BT7. I installed a solid state/electronic SU pump and wanted to protect the investment, so I installed a universal fuel filter on the line from the fuel tank to the fuel pump. It requires a longer fuel line to make the bend between tank and pump but now the pump is protected from any gunk that may flow in from the tank. Not to mention that it's invisible to the eye if you care about authenticity. On my car the pump is easily accessed by removing one of the rear seat pans; not sure if the same is true of BJ8's. If you didn't want to hassle with my approach you could always put one between the chassis fuel line (front of the car) and the front carb. Good luck.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi 66mk111 ,Based on my experience with the BJ8 cars, I locate the fuel filter as close to the carburetor input as I can get it. I have had no adverse fuel pump operations using this technique on either of my cars. However, monitoring the state of the filter and changing it on the road is simplified should it cause a problem.--Fwiw--Keoke

62BT7

Country flag
One thing I forgot to mention is that if you install between the tank and pump, fuel leakage is a near certainty. Not a problem to me, but by all means be careful and plan ahead. If the pump goes dry you may also need to prime the pump. I suppose this makes such an install a bigger hassle but it's my preference give the potential for junk (rust, etc.) in my tank. That pump was pricey!

OP

66mkIII

Freshman Member
Thanks again for the advice. While mounting near the carb does some easier, between the pump and tank may be "safer" since this is a car that i am attempting to revive after many years of sitting.

VelodromeRacer

Jedi Trainee
I mounted mine close to the carbs as well, right where the line comes up in the engine bay and splices into the braided hose. Mounts to the brace opposite the brace the horns mount to.

SHG

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
The PO of my BJ8 mounted the fuel filter on the line below where it clamps to the brace so that it couldn't be seen on the top by the carbs. It's a fine idea for hiding it, but what a major pain to get to when you change it and when y0u do, gas gets everywhere. I do NOT recommend this placement.

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I install filters between the tank and the pump for two reasons:

1. The filter in the pump has a small "trash" capacity and could easily be clogged by a bad lot of fuel, etc.

2. Installing a filter away from the engine compartment means two less fittings that in case of failure could dump fuel on a hot exhaust, etc. etc.

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
I would have to agree with Michael on this one. Consider where the fuel has traveled to reach the filter. If it's placed in the engine compartment it has traveled through the fuel pump and all the existing fuel lines to finally be filtered. I purchased a clear glass type from "Holden's" that has the advantage of being able to come apart for cleaning. Most SU fuel pumps won't be hindered by either "pulling" fuel or "pushing" fuel through a filter. If you have a race car then you most likely won't want a fuel filter as they will slow the fuel down a bit. I have seen dual fuel filters used, both near the fuel tank and at the carbs. A bit of "overkill" I think. The filter I purchased did require the fuel line from the tank to be cut. Rubber hoses with spring clamps were then slipped over the fuel lines. I've never had a problem of leakage from this type of filter and it isn't difficult to remove for cleaning. I try and do this before the driving season begins. It's located near the top of the rear bulkhead and is easily visible with the battery cover lifted (I have a BN7 model). Good Luck.

healeynut

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Michael -

Your logic is good, but from my perspective just putting in a clear VW beetle/universal filter right before the carbs is a better placement - easier to check regularly and easier to replace.

OP

66mkIII

Freshman Member
Thanks to everyone, although it may seem somewhat basic, it is good information, especially for those who may be just starting out.

John Loftus

Darth Vader
66mkIII said:
Thanks to everyone, although it may seem somewhat basic, it is good information, especially for those who may be just starting out.

Generally we justify whatever we have done .. so much for unbiased opinions! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif One thing you might consider is what modifications need to be made to add a fuel filter to your current system. Originally the tank to fuel pump line is steel tubing that will need to be cut and flexible fuel line added to insert a fuel filter (and possibly a change of the banjo fittings on the pump). If placing the filter near the carbs there is a petroflex line that would need to be cut or replaced. Often the fuel lines/petroflex has been changed from original over the years so your situation may be different. Anyway, just something else to add to the mix.

Cheers,
John

OP

66mkIII

Freshman Member
John Loftus said:
66mkIII said:

Generally we justify whatever we have done .. so much for unbiased opinions!

Oops maybe I misspoke, I just meant that my original question may have seemed like a basic question. All The info has been extremely helpful. I will look into acquiring a longer hose and hopefully do the install in the next week or two. This forum and those who make it what it is make it an invaluable source of info. Thanks!

John Loftus

Darth Vader
66mkIII said:
Oops maybe I misspoke, I just meant that my original question may have seemed like a basic question.

Just to be clear ...

The "justify whatever we have done" comment wasn't directed at you. I was just making a general comment about why there are often many strong opinions on doing something one way or another on these forums. But sifting through it is a good way to gather opinions, tips, insights to help with making decisions.

Good luck with the project!