• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Frustration & Responsibility...LONG POST

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
What started out as a pretty good day ended up in a complete disaster. As the day started out, I received my Porter manual and the Bentley book for '75-'80 Bs (already had the green book from early 60s). I installed my new fuel pump and ran new rubber hoses under the car. I fed in some fresh fuel and attempted a startup. No go on the startup so far; probably need a tune up, not unexpected.

Now, for a bit of background: I still live at home with the 'rents, and as such, the garage is not essentially mine. It is, for lack of a better term, a cluster bomb of junk piled up every which way but loose. This is not good for a little MG. In particular, one member of the family isn't exactly careful around the car; over the last year or so, a bicycle was dropped against the car, resulting in a huge gash in the paint. I would frequently come home and find various things "stored" in the interior, on the luggage rack and even on the convertible top. Recently, my nephew was allowed to play inside the car, resulting in his breaking of the wiper stalk on the column. Not exactly a cheap or easy item to come by or repair.

Today was a breaking point: I came home and found 10 big sheets of plywood propped up against the car. After I cleaned my glasses and found what I was seeing to not be an illusion, I went ballistic. The reason? "No one was here to help unload it from your truck." And: "Where else was I supposed to put it?" WHA?!

I'm not sure if it was sheer anger giving me added strength, but I moved every sheet of it out of there and out to where it should've been. When I got the last sheet out, my horror was realized: the side mirror was broken from the weight. The mount bracket tabs were sheared off and the housing cracked. There are things that make you go "hmmm" and things that make you go "ARGH!". This is the latter of these.

With all that's happened so far and the current circumstances, I'm beginning to seriously consider if keeping the car at this stage is the responsible thing to do. I don't really see the garage situation changing in the near or distant future; if anything, it would probably get worse. That may, however, be the cynic in me. I realize that making decisions in the heat of the moment isn't the best thing to do, so I will take some time to mull things over.

If it came down to it, I'd much rather sell the car to someone who could/would take care of it and love it as opposed to keeping it in an environment where it would be subject to damage and lack of proper care. Selling it isn't necessarily something I want to do per se, but responsibility to the car would supersede that.

I apologize for the lengthy post...any advice or thoughts you might have would be greatly appreciated.

Bruce74B

Jedi Knight
Maybe is is time to get your toys out of Mommy's house! Been there, done that...sorry, but maybe you are getting the hints more clearly now?

Bruce

V

vagt6

Frustrating.

Maybe, as diplomatically as possible, organize a garage cleanup party or at least offer to clean and organize the garage for the "rents"?

Surely they wouldn't decline such an offer?

Sure seems better than selling the car! :yesnod:

Good luck, let us know . . .

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
:iagree:

Great idea, Mark - at least two birds with one stone!

Stewart

Darth Vader
Country flag
I know the feeling as I still keep my 75 at the 'rents and until it was restored it took a heck of a beating. But for the most part it sat in a dark dry garage for the 9 of the 11 years I was unable to do anything with the car.

After I left home without my car my sister "borrowed" it and got into an accident, it was used as storage after my sister's accident took out the fuel pump, picked up a few more dents with all the crap piled all over it and then was kicked out of the garage and stored outside for 2 years while the house was remodeled. I was lucky enough to get the space back but before I did I had to completely rearrange the garage so it would fit everyone's needs.

Best thing you can do is organize the garage to fit both your needs. Yeah it sucks cleaning up for other people but then again a weekend cleaning the garage is better than paying 70 bucks or more a month for a storage unit. If the cars going to be sitting longer take the mirror's off as its only 1 screw that needs to be loosened buy a nice and thick breathable car cover and use it. Keeps the pesky 2 legged creature out as well. Try to idiot proof everything else.

In the end as soon as you have a running driving car odds are it will be treated better as it will be seen as a car and not some big pile of junk in the garage.

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
Don't mean to be a hardass about this, but unless you are under 21 or are still in college, it's time to leave home and make your own way in the world.

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
I've had a chance to cool down some since I wrote the original post; I found the damage to the mirror assembly was relatively minor. One of the tabs on the mirror bracket was sheared off and the housing wasn't cracked as I initially thought. I should be able to procure a replacement bracket soon.

I must admit that I am over 21 and out of college, working full time, although not really making enough $$$ to strike out on my own. As it stands, I'm probably priced out of a lot of rentals or mobile home parks. As a side note, the '77 B was given to me as a college graduation gift by the 'rents; I don't think I could've had it otherwise.

Pay rates aren't exactly what one would call great in this area. I'm trying to save up as much dough as I can to change that situation; I also spent a good two hours searching the local real estate listings last night(as well as portable garages/closed carports) :p. I'll definitely try the compromise of cleaning up the garage and perhaps sectioning things off to where one side doesn't interfere with the other, but that may prove to be an uphill battle. That's why I was searching carports/garages :p. I may have to build one for myself after all.

Randy_Myers

Freshman Member
Josh,

Similar problem, different circumstances. I bought a temporary garage from Harbor Freight a couple years ago for about $180.00 Inexpensive as shelters go and the best money I've spent to protect my MGs. I bought a second one last year for a new mgb I bought and never regretted it. The first one is still in great shape and replacement tops are $75 - cheap. You can erect it in an hour with help. Without help you better have 6 arms.

Good Luck,

Randy

QuickSilver

Jedi Trainee
Bruce74B said:
Maybe is is time to get your toys out of Mommy's house! Been there, done that...sorry, but maybe you are getting the hints more clearly now?

Bruce

+1

By the way, this sounds like the B is a second car also.

OP
J

JoshP

Jedi Trainee
@Quicksilver - The B is indeed a second car; I have a S10 pickup for a daily driver.

I'm currently working toward getting the garage cleaned out and organized; anyone who has seen this garage knows that it isn't a small undertaking. I'm also researching options on a temporary garage/carport like Randy said or possibly building a permanent metal garage on concrete slab

I know in my heart of hearts that I'm not going to be able to keep the car on any kind of permanent basis. At the very least, if it does have to leave me, I'd like to leave it better than the way I found it. I completed the handbrake repair, cockpit rail recovering and new interior panel installation this past week. After I bolt the seat back in and clean up, I can call the interior finished.

The fuel pump is installed and working; I'm going to send my distributor out to be rebuilt and reworked. While I'm waiting on that, I'm going to do a full brake servicing and find out at long last why I've got slow leaks in 3 out of 4 of my wheels. After all that's completed...who knows?