• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Vent Pull Frustration

angelfj1

Yoda
Country flag
Anyone who has disassembled the cowl vent lid and mechanism on a sidescreen TR knows the frustration involved in this job. Its kind of tedious and reassembly is not intuitive. OTOH, once this job is finished, there is extreme relief that its behind you. At least that's what I thought! :wall: When restoring the vent lid and mechanism, we decided to replace the actual "pull rod", knob, escutcheon, etc. The repro isn't very expensive and we figured we'd save some time/money. Ha! In the first photo below you see the assembly with the knob attached.

vent_pull_DSC06237.jpg

For some reason this assembly is made up from three different metal parts, plus a phenolic knob. The steel wire is snug fit into the brass rod(and pinned), and the brass rod is press fit into the pot metal ferrule but not pinned. We did not recognize this lack of a pin until everything had been reassembled.

The second photo shows the brass rod pulled out of the pot metal ferrule.

vent_pull_DSC06239.jpg

I wasn't there to see it happen but I can only imagine the look on Brian's face when testing the vent. Pull once - looks good. Push back in. Pull twice - very nice. Push back in. Pull three!!! Oh - you dirty, no good, blah, blah, blah. That's right! The brass rod/pot metal ferrule came apart, and Brian is standing there with the knob in his hand. He realizes that the vent and mechanism job has to be repeated.

I took the repro unit home to show my wife. My 3 year old grand son was able to pull it apart. There's no way a press fit would have lasted. Then, I had a revelation! Perhaps in their infinite wisdom, the engineers at Canley counted on electrolytic corrosion between the dissimilar metals, brass and zinc(pot metal). Surely there was a reason for selection of three different metals! :jester:

So, a word to the wise is sufficient - check your repro vent pull! :yesnod:

hondo402000

Darth Vader
well s..t on me once same on you manufacturer, looks like you will have to drill and pin it yourself, the easy part, redo the installation. Priceless metaphores. but the second time will be easier I promise

Hondo

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Makes me glad I made my own, from an old bicycle spoke and a PC board standoff.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
"Adapt, innovate, overcome!"

I'd be for threading th' beast! I did a similar "improvement" to the choke cable on Her MGB. An old knob for observational originality and a new cable modified to fit the facia, cable and old receiver. The vent rod on the TR is under much more load so Randall's spoke and 'pooter bits would be a good solution. :thumbsup:

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
I went one step further, and purchased an early TR2. So, I don't have to worry at all about the cowl vent, it's not there.
Been into those buggers before though. I agree, not a fun job. very little "finger room" to get all that hooked up.

apbos

Jedi Knight
Country flag
wp68f83c39_05.jpg

I've got one of these for "Statler" when I get done with the B/E.

Paul

tinman58

Jedi Knight
Silver
Country flag
Mine did the same , pulled apart. Krazy glue works good too...

hondo402000

Darth Vader
bicycle shops are good places to get cables supplies, outer cable housing or just the inner spiraly wound cable

Hondo

Banjo

Yoda
Country flag
Yup.My local bicycle shop supplied a perfect replacement for a broken outer door handle cable on a Ferrari 308. I asked the guy, after I paid for the cable, "Did you know you sell Ferrari parts?".

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
:lol: I've done that as well, Ben. They always look at ya funny, tho.

I've restrung Italian window regulators with stainless cable for rigging sailboats, too. :wink: