• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Post-War Other The Herald front vent windows

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
At last the orchestra, band, and choir season is coming to a close- time for the car season. Finally the Herald is running- installed a new electric fuel pump after the aroma of gas filled the cabin during Triumphest last fall. Also took the car to properly install the exhaust system; damage incurred returning for previously mentioned Triumphest.

So...

New rubber front vent window gaskets are available, there's got to be a way to install them. Do I have to take the whole window assembly out? Maybe just find the right size socket and reach in at the opening?

Also does the steering shaft / steering wheel need to come out to install the under dash fiber board piece? Again there is a replacement sold, there must be a way of installing it on the car.

Trevor Triumph

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Trevor, I'm sorry to say I'm not sure about the gasket. I suspect that it can be done by simply drilling out the rivet in the exposed upper "hinge" piece and removing just the vent window. I'm not sure, though, about just how to replace that rivet assembly. If you like, I'll be happy to find out more for you; just let me know!

As to the underdash fibreboard, I'm pretty sure it should "snake" in there without dropping the column.

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I'll try the underdash fiberboard snake idea. I think I have more wires than necessary under the dash; there was an after market radio. That may contributed to the difficulty. Which brings up another question: how does the speedometer come out? I have a new voltage stabilizer, but I can't install it because the fuel gauge seems to make the speedo bigger than the hole in the wood dash.

Regarding the quarter window, the rivet is drilled, but the bottom of the vent is secured with a screw, bushing, spring, washer and nut. There is a hole in the gasket, so it appears the the glass (frame) has to come out.
I figured I could replace the rivet with a small bolt and a nyloc nut rather than a rivet.

T.T.

trrdster2000

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Trevor, The 7/16 nut on the bottom of the spring that is on the pivot pin has a locking flap on it. It can be overcome with a little force upward. After getting the nut off, there is a washer and spring will come down. Using a quarter inch socket wrench extension and deep socket will be a big help. The window will lift right off the top pivot. Pry the gasket out with thin screwdrivers. It has a channel that it pops into when installing.

Wayne

OP
T

Trevor Triumph

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Success at last- the gaskets for the front quarter lights are installed. I had to clean and paint the frames, clean the mounting hardware - nuts, washer, bushings, springs. Trouble is as I do the work I see other things that cold use some attention. Somethings take a bit of money others just take time- cleaning, polishing, adjusting. Oh well spring is here in Arizona so I've got a warm place to work. Next on the list: replace tranny cover, repair rubber seat blocks, install new throttle cable, install silicon valve cover gasket, add the voltage stabilizer so maybe the gas gauge and temp gauge will register more accurately.
I had a local muffler shop replace the exhaust system. The header does not rub against the oil pan, the exhaust pipes are evenly mounted. Tthe down side is that the wholes system is welded- good for leaks bad for repair of other stuff.

Thanks to all who offered advice.

T.T.