• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB-GT Frustration Extendus Horribilis - GT Windscreen

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Today I have been trying to replace the front windscreen seal rubber. It all started out well, following instructions I found here:

https://www.mgcars.org.uk/cgi-bin/gen5?runprog=mgoc&a=&p=emg/mgbgtwind.html

I removed the old chrome trim pieces, the old rubber, and removed the windscreen, no problem.

Then I put the new rubber seal in position. That was a bit of a game, but I got it on eventually.

Then I inserted a length of nylon string in the groove, all around.

I then offered up the windscreen. It seemed to be a mile too big! I managed after a lot of huffing, puffing, effing and blinding, to get the lower edge of the screen engaged in its slot. But I can get nowhere near engaging either side, or let alone the top. It's not even close to going in.

I stepped away for a couple of hours, and returned fresh, only to spend another frustrating hour trying to manhandle the screen into position.

This is easily the most tricky job I've encountered on Harold. I'm about to give up and call AAA :smile: Can I call a windscreen replacement outfit and have them come out and do it for me?

Yours despondently,
Julian

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
Wow, that looks like the hard way. First,clean up the glass really well with a razor blade. Clean and smooth is good. Lube up the channel where the glass is going to sit. A fairly "thick" mixture of Ivory liquid and water works well, as does Armor All. Fit the rubber to the glass. This might take a while, but be patient, it will go. Wrap a fairly thin nylon cord around the seal where it fits on the body, with the overlapped ends on the bottom.Fit the whole mess into place, working it onto the lower flange as well as you can. The end of the cord should be on the inside of the car. The seal should be lubed, but not dripping with the stuff. Grab one end of the string and slowly pull it sround, pulling the seal over the flange. You can wrap the string around a dowel, or screw driver to help pull.It helps to have someone on the outside helping to seat it. Work the string around, and it will finally settle into place. Insert the locking bead. You almost have to have the tool for this. Fitting the chrome trim is up to you. I hate doing that and have never found an easy way. My glass guy says to assemble the locking bead and chrome first, and then "string" it into place, but I have never been able to do that. It can also help to let the seal sit out in the sun first, so it warms up and gets a bit more pliable.
Good Luck,
Jesse

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Ah ha! What a brilliant idea: putting the rubber around the glass first. I will try your method next :smile:

Many thanks indeed: I have renewed hope of being able to do it myself.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Doing it single-handed for the first time is really challenging. What Jesse describes is the only way I've ever done it. Another tool you may want to have on hand is a bamboo chopstick, for teasing the seal if things don't go exactly right. Don't be tempted to use screwdrivers, metal tools of any kind against the glass. The tool for inserting the locking strip can be fabbed from a wire coat-hanger and some vice-grips in a pinch. This is another place where the soap slurry is helpful, and a small (1") paintbrush for applying it in the channel(s). Glycerine, available at most any pharmacy, is another lubricant I've used with good results. Patience is your most important tool for this job.
...and be very glad you do not have a roadster. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag
This is one project I am not looking forward to doing one day.

jessebogan

Jedi Knight
glass shops sell these excellent teflon sticks. I have a couple for glass work, and I use them all the time for rubber, dash work, atc. Well worth the investment.

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
Not GT related, but a barstool comes in really handy for assembling the frame around a roadster windscreen. Lay the glass on the barstool, wrap the seal around it. Lube up the seal and then "offer up" the frame segments. Man, if it were only that easy, I hated that job. I was mortified that tightening the frame screws would crack the glass.

Also, I recall putting the seal around the glass and ended up with 2" excess seal. Everytime I got the frame pieces on, I'd have a wad of bunched up extra seal. Needed to chop a chunk out to get the frame to fit.

Then the real fun of stuffing it into the car began...

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've said it here more'n once: I'd rather do THREE clutch replacements on a B than ONE windshield R&R. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight
Re: Frustration Extendus Horribilis - GT Windscree

DrEntropy said:
Doing it single-handed for the first time is really challenging. What Jesse describes is the only way I've ever done it. Another tool you may want to have on hand is a bamboo chopstick, for teasing the seal if things don't go exactly right. Don't be tempted to use screwdrivers, metal tools of any kind against the glass. The tool for inserting the locking strip can be fabbed from a wire coat-hanger and some vice-grips in a pinch. This is another place where the soap slurry is helpful, and a small (1") paintbrush for applying it in the channel(s). Glycerine, available at most any pharmacy, is another lubricant I've used with good results. Patience is your most important tool for this job.
...and be very glad you do not have a roadster. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

Thanks for the advice, Doc et al. Is there a diagram anywhere of what the locking strip tool should look like?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

In the back of the Bentley manual in the tools section. If you don't have that, lemme know and I'll see if I can locate the last one I cobbed up.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight

I've had another try, this time with the seal on the windscreen first, as advised above.

I simply can't get the rubber to engage with the bottom lip of the surround at all, let alone start pulling the cord :-(

The other problem I have is that if I engage anything at one side of the windscreen, it pops out on the other side.

I've also discovered that getting any auto glass place to come out and do it for me is much more difficult than I expected!

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

That stinks and it looked like that link you had was a really well documented process. I saved it but now I start to worry come time I need to do this. Is your car at least in the garage?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag

I fear when it comes to having a pro glass outfit do MG windscreen replacement, our reputation precedes us. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/devilgrin.gif

It *may* help if you explain it is NOT the roadster independent frame type, rather the GT is glass in the body with the seal all the way 'round.

vping

Yoda
Bronze
Country flag

You think they are less like to do a ragtop?

vping said:
You think they are less like to do a ragtop?

Yep....my local Glass Specialties shop in Champaign "politely" asked me not to bring back my MGB tourer should it need a replacement in the future...after spending a LOT of time with a R&R for me.

/bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight

I spoke to one auto glass place, who quoted me $200 to do the work. When I expressed my astonishment at the price (just labour of course, since I have all the pieces) the guy said "Yeh, those MGBs are real difficult to work on". I did say it was the GT, but I wonder now if he really took that in.

The car is outside, but the weather is very nice at this time of year in Pasadena, so I'm not worried.

I'm about to go outside and have *another* go :smile:

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Julian, it is a matter of perserverance and an extra hand or two.

OP
jjbunn

jjbunn

Jedi Knight

Drum roll .... I got it in!!!!

Now I just need to put in the locking strip and the chrome trim ... should be relatively easy, right?!

Here are some photos and comments on the job so far:

After cutting away the old rubber, and removing the windscreen:
506578386_d3fa8ca915.jpg

(this was by far the easiest part of the job)

After placing the new rubber in the aperture. This is actually very frustrating, as the rubber appears to be bigger than the aperture. This means that the top edge repeatedly drops off, especially if you have lubricated the rubber with washing up liquid, as I did. In the end I just let it fall, and concentrate on the sides and bottom.
506609159_bf50f1ae0c.jpg

I didn't use the nylon cord recommended by others. I found that it didn't help at all. It takes ages threading it into the windscreen groove, and once in position, with the windscreen located in the bottom groove in the rubber, whenever I pulled on it, it would just dislocate itself from the groove, and come free inside. Maybe the nylon cord I was using was too slippery.

So I first engaged the bottom edge of the windscreen, then I started teasing the windscreen into the groove on each side. I used a short piece of thin smooth metal rod with a 90 degree bend on one end for this: everything else I tried wasn't strong enough (chopsticks etc.). I realise it's risky using metal against the glass, but I was pretty desperate, and it turned out alright.

After working around, using quite some force to push the windscreen inwards as I pulled the lip of the rubber over it, and on the top edge, simultaneously engaging the rubber in the lip of the aperture itself, I was left with a length of about 6" at the top middle of the screen:
506578606_d0e0596e7c.jpg

It was impossible to work this, so I disengaged one side of the windscreen and worked the rubber towards that edge, along the top of the screen.

Finally, after a suitable incantation of some choice four letter words (I can provide the spell if you PM me), the side popped into place, and I quick check revealed that the whole screen was in position: I ran around the garden, whooping for joy. (I do wonder what my neighbours made of the whole business.)

506608979_bab4222c8f.jpg

(Large version here: https://farm1.static.flickr.com/204/506608979_bf92f54d5c_o.jpg - note the cup of concentrated washing up liquid and water, plus brush, used for sploshing around for lubrication. On a safety note, I used thick gloves *all the time* while doing this job.)

Nunyas

Yoda
Country flag

so you didn't have to trim the seal at all?