• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front wheel bearings

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
I just took out my front bearings to check,clean& repack and on inspection decide to just replace them. I plan to order 2 oil seals,2 bearing hub-in,2 bearing hub-out. Should I get a couple new spacers while I'm at it? And what about the "shim" ? how do I know which ones to get?(.003, .005, .010, .015) or should I just re use the shims that where in there ? It's a 61 AH3000 car# HBT7l/13279. So that makes it a "BT7" .....I think???

Country flag
The preload has to be set very carefully for the front wheel bearings.

I have a ton of pictures showing how it's all done, but unless you read the manual, to know what has to be done, you might as well be peeing up a rope.

Buy an assortment of shims, then when you measure, you stand a better chance of having the ones you need.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Note; do all of the initial fitting with the spacer bearings and shims clean and dry then pack with grease and complete the final assembly. The spacers need not be replaced --Fwiw--Keoke

BlueRidge1

Jedi Warrior
Donny L

Read the thread from Robert 560 updated my Healey web site and drop down to the bullet where it reads sloted and drilled rotors. Just below that is a video showing how to get the correct load on your front wheel bearings. Good stuff. I also put this message on that thread so it should be easy to find.
Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi All. I think everyone who has a HEAlEY NEEDS TO READ THE HEALEY MANUAL AND FOLLOW IT'S INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING REPLACEMENT OF THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS. MGB and Healey may look alike but they do not use the same procedure.--fWIW--kEOKE

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:iagree: Even a feeb like me has had success rebuilding most of the assemblies on my BT7 with the help of the factory manual. Well written ,concise, and easy to follow. --elrey

Robert560

Keoke said:
Hi All. I think everyone who has a HEAlEY NEEDS TO READ THE HEALEY MANUAL AND FOLLOW IT'S INSTRUCTIONS REGARDING REPLACEMENT OF THE FRONT WHEEL BEARINGS. MGB and Healey may look alike but they do not use the same procedure.--fWIW--kEOKE

Keoke, could you summarize what's different? Having both watched that MG video as well as done the bearings in my Healey, I really didn't notice any differences... this having read the Healey workshop manual, though I've not read an MG manual, so maybe it has things different.

~Bob

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
I read the manual and some of the tech talk is lost on me. After watching that link posted on the other thread it really made it very clear for me.Thanks for all the help and patience.

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
It's like riding a bike, or rolling up the window while driving your first time. Just relax, take it easy, and before you know it, aah... [ Of course now that i've found Keoke, Randy, and the gang, I'm a burnin my book as soon as it's cold enough ! ] :nonod: --elrey

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI BOB
Try Norman Knocks tech tip book if you can get your hands on one. Basically lubrication and torquing of the searings is not the same. At the Colorado meet many years ago we experienced many severe bearing failures caused by following non Healey instructions. I think Roger Moment has written up some of the worst we saw.---Keoke

Country flag
The idea is to stack up the spacer and shims until you get a certain amount of end float. The manual specifies a two-step process: 1) add too many shims and measure the end float and 2) add/remove shims to take away the end float you measured in #1 (working from memory here, but that's basically it). Since I haven't seen shims less than 0.003" you're going to get +/- 0.002" (which IIRC is close to the tolerable end float). Note: inspect the stub axle for any signs of cracking or fatigue while you're at it.

The key points are to get the spacing correct before you pack with grease (you don't need to fill all the cavities, either, just pack the bearings well). You need to make sure the bearings are properly seated in their races then torque down well. Also, make sure the inside spacer the seal rides on is smooth with no groove (touch it up with emery cloth or get a new one if necessary). Pre-lube the lip of the seal with grease. If you can turn the hub easily with little or no end float you'll be OK. DO NOT SPIN THE HUB/BEARINGS ANY MORE THAN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY BEFORE GREASING.

Be sure when setting up and finalizing you torque to spec (basically, as tight as you can get it with the cotter in a slot). I failed to do this right one time and the keyed flatwasher spun. Made a lot of noise for a couple miles--thought I'd lost a bearing for sure--but the noise stopped after the washer wedged itself in the spindle threads (this was at start of 3,000 mile trip).

Country flag
Pages 7 through 11 here: https://www.rfdm.com/gallery/album170?page=7 give a pretty good visual essay of the process.

IMG_7528.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
OK. DO NOT SPIN THE HUB/BEARINGS ANY MORE THAN ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY BEFORE GREASING.

And for goodness sakes do not put any in dry!!!

Be sure when setting up and finalizing you torque to between 50 and 70 LBS(basically, you can get the cotter in its slot within this range.

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
???? When I pulled the old one out there were 2 shims on one side and 3 on the other. Is that common? Shouldn't they be the same on both sides?

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Donny_L said:
???? When I pulled the old one out there were 2 shims on one side and 3 on the other. Is that common? Shouldn't they be the same on both sides?

No , don't concern yourself about that.

The shims are used to compensate for the length differences of the spacers incurred during manufacturing. Consequently there could be a differece in the number of shims contained on each front axel of the car.----

Country flag
Probably didn't hurt anything, but as you can see from Randy's photo the spacer is tapered on the outer end and the shims are sized for that end (plus, it makes it easier to do the adjusting--you don't have to pull the spacer out). The shim dimensions are a match for the inner race on the outer bearings.

Putting the shims on the inside could, conceivably, allow a bit of wobble from the inside bearing, but I doubt there was any problems. Check the bearings for spalling (missing pieces of bearing or race surfaces) or overheating, which causes a blueish hue to the metal.