• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Front Wheel Bearings [...Removal Of ]

neils

Freshman Member
Any suggestions on how to remove the inner front wheel bearings from the spindle? I have left the spindle soaking in a bucket of Kroil penetrating oil for a week to no avail. The lip on the edge of the bearing is too small for my hub puller (from sears)to keep hold onto. Do I have to take the spindle into a machine shop and get it cut off, or is there a less drastic measure? The spindles are no longer available so I don't want to damage it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Neils, I don't really understand the problem.However, if I had a bearing stuck on a shaft that I could not remove.I would head for a machine shop and have it pressed off.-FWIW---Keoke

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Neils when I took mine off the bearings were left in the hub, what vehicle have you got and what is the 'spindle', are you talking about the stub axle. I'm sure that a mechanic would have a puller to deal with it at your local garage.
Bob
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
There should be two small holes on the backside that you can insert a small punch and tap on the race.

Cheers,
John

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
John, if the bearing is stuck on the stub axle, he may not be able to do what you suggest, normally you need to drift the bearing out of the hub, or am I getting confused?
Bob /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/england.gif

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Bob,

If the smaller inner bearing race is stuck on the stub axle (spindle) there are two small holes on the backside of the stub axle to allow you to tap the race off. When you drift the race out of the hub that is the larger of the two inner races. It's all in the workshop manual (which is recommended reading especially if one is working on setting up the Healey bearings properly). /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif
John

OP
N

neils

Freshman Member
Sorry about my confusion of terms. I am trying to remove the bearing from the swivel axle on a BJ8. This is the soild axle that attaches to the king pin. I was able to get the outer bearing off by drifting on the inside of the hub axle (axle with the splines on for the wire wheel). Sorry about some of the terms but I am a transplnted Brit so there may ba a mix of terminology plus what I may make up.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif
Neils, Is this a true statement??:The splined hub is off the car and You were able to get the outer bearing race out of the splined Hub by drifting it from inside the Hub. ---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Neils,

I understand what you are trying to do (I think!). Did you look at the back of the swivel axle? Look at the attached picture where I have pointed to one of the small holes in the 9 o'clock position. There is another at 3 o'clock. Insert a small punch or 1/8" music wire into the holes and tap tap tap to get the small inner bearing race off the spindle.

Cheers,
John

p.s. you can even get to these holes if the swivel axle is still assembled on the car.

swivel.jpg

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Hi John, Neils has stated that he is working on a BJ8 the swivel axel assy you have provided appears to be one from an earlier car. The BJ8 assy's are not the same as the earlier car design.However, the PO may have installed ealier ones on his car.-FWIW---Keoke

John Loftus

Darth Vader
Hi Keoke,
Yes, the illustration is for a BN4 (which is all the workshop manual has) but I have a BJ7 that has the two holes for removing the inner bearing race. Did they remove these holes on the BJ8 swivel axle?
Cheers,
John

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
HI John, on the BJ8 Cars I am familiar with the Hub is simply removed. Both the Inner Bearing and the Outter bearing Races are then Drifted out of the splined hub, The Inner race is accessed via half moon cutouts in the Hub. Been a while since I was there.Regards---Keoke

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Keoke says, Because the BJ8 wheel bearings do not press on to the stub axel, there is a case where the BJ8 wheel bearings can weld themselves to the stub axel.This can occur if you follow american practices where the castelated nut is snugged up finger tight and the cotter key installed. This incorrect practice or failure to torque the beaings correctly will allow the BJ8 wheel bearings to spin on the stub axel and the resultant heat can cause bearings to weld to the axel. OH! does this create a nasty mess. More correctly, these bearings are held fixed under a compressive load by a tapered distance piece located inside the hub. The resultant assy is then shimmed to allow a torque of 50-to-70 LB/FT to be applied to the castelated nut while the wheel/hub exibits "Zero" end play and no drag. This takes a bit of fidlin---FWIW-Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

OP
N

neils

Freshman Member
John, you are correct, this is the bearing I am trying to remove. But unfortunately Keoke also seems to be correct as there are no holes on the BJ8 to drift the bearing out. Also it does appear to be welded onto the axle. I presume I am now into taking it to a machine shop to have it cut off, unless there is some other way? Thanks for everyones help.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/savewave.gif Neils, The other option you have is to contact Bruce at Healey Surgeons and obtain a good used swivel axel assy. The cost of repair and verification of the soumdness of the damaged assy you have may very well exceed the price of a known good replacement.-FWIW---Keoke /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/patriot.gif