• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Tunebuggery Day 3 -- rear brakes done[ish]!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Today was a 1/2 Tunebuggery day, as I had a morning full of other errands to take care of. The afternoon was warm and sunny, but I successfully fought down the urge to take the Triumph out for a ride (even though it's supposed to snow for the next couple of days. So back in to the garage I went.

I took advantage of being down in Orem for a service on the Fit in the morning and stopped by Harbor Freight for a few odds and ends that I needed. One of those bits was a 4-1/2" angle grinder, needed for modifying the brake drums to fit with my later-style backing plates. Thanks to advice from the good folks here (especially spritenut) I knew that I needed to make the brake drums about 1/16" less deep. The method is to grab the handy grinder and grind away. I marked one Sharpie-width around the outside of the drum so I'd know when I'd gone far enough.

drew_at_work.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Drew with a power tool, showing that drum who's boss</span>

This process proved to be relatively simple, although a bit messy. I did happen to have a test drum on hand -- one that I have modified a bit to use as a rear hub puller. I practiced on that one first to make sure I knew what I was doing.

test_drum.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">Test brake drum, showing where I was grinding</span>

Once I had ground the Sharpie line away it was off to the car for a few test fits. I think I've ground enough off, but it's easy enough to pull the drum again and do a bit more if there is still rubbing once everything is fully assembled and adjusted.

drum_on.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">New brake drum on and fit properly</span>

The last step was the most fun, as I finally got to put the rear wheels back on for the first time in many months, maybe as much as a year or so! The wheels were torqued up and seemed spin freely. They'll be off and on many more times as I get everything sorted out, but at least for one night the back of the car looks like a car again!

wheel_on.jpg

<span style="font-style: italic">If you squint a bit it looks like a car</span>

Tomorrow is all about putting in the new brake lines. I have a set of hard lines that just need to be bent into the proper shapes. I did one of the lines when I first bought the car, but still have all the rest to get to. I'll do a bit of cleanup around the lines as well while I'm at it, and will put in the soft lines as well. If there is time, I'll get the front A-arms and shocks installed, but that may wait until Wednesday depending on how fast the brake lines go.

Not bad for just 1/2 a day!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Looks great and just think how much quicker if you didn't keep posing for pictures
grin.gif
seriously, it's wonderful and even more wonderful to have things moving :hammer: :cheers:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Once a day, at the end of my work, I post my daily recap -- a nice way to wind up the day. Can't work all night as well, so finishing up the day sharing a picture is a nice thing.

Sure is nice to have a bit of progress. I've already started to think that I might actually drive this car someday! :smile:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Drew,

Looking good. Mark Masquelier, Bill M's brother here in Daytron is just about to get started with his BE. Supposed to get back from the body shop this week. He's starting exactly where you are at and I know he's going to be looking on with interest in your progress. Keep it up, and it really sounds like you are thinking ahead at the end of each night to exactly what you need to accomplish the next day. Knowing in advance, just what you need to get done on Tuesday and the steps you need to take to make that happen is most of the battle in getting the most out of this week.

Another tip, organize and put all of the tools back where they belong at the end of the day. That way you won't spend half of the morning looking for that 7/16" socket that you just used last evening, "WTH did I put it!" won't be part of your morning vocabulary.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Jim, I've been making my dad proud -- at the end of each project I round up and clean all the tools. Everything goes back where it belongs, then I grab parts for the next project and pull out the tools I need. Shop area is cleaned at the end of each day.

I guess I'm finally growing up, at least a little.
grin.gif

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Yeah,

Your Dad knew you had it in you!!!!

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Drew, give that drum a coat of black rustolum. I know I know some will burn off with use but the rest will save you some rust.

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Will do, Jack. Didn't even think about that.

64rocksprite

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Or even better Drew, pick-up some brake caliper paint..that is what I did on my new drums..should hold up to the temps. I think it runs about $6-7 a can..make sure you clean all the oil off 'em first! go ahead..ask how I know!

You are making nice progress Drew.
I keep thinking I am ready for re-assembly..only to find one more thing that needs repaired (mostly body work)..hope to start going the 'other way' with parts at the end of the month. Then hopefully join the ranks of the driving by the end of summer! 2-1/2 years of sitting on jack stands..hope she remembers how to roll!

Keep at it man! I can't wait to hear how Tunebug runs with that "Rat" motor Hap built for ya.

Roger

Luke Skywalker
Bronze
Country flag
For brake drums I like the heatproof paint I got from True Value for my BBQ grill. It covers very well, and dries a matt black that looks just right, IMV.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
On third thought I think I did use high temp black spray paint. At least I have whats left of a can in the garage.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
The "bareque" paint works very well.

Great progress Drew!!!

...I meant about you cleaning and stowin' th' tools at day's end. :devilgrin:

OP
drooartz

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I've got some high-temp engine paint in black -- I'll probably use that.

I was lucky in that the Tunebug has a very sound body -- I've not had to do ay body work yet. There's plenty that could be done to it, but I need to drive it for a while first. As I've been pulling off the old bits, I keep noticing little things that could use work, but have so far refused to be drawn in. After a year or two of driving (and saving money) I'll take care of the body issues. The structure is good, so the little things can wait.

Luckily a Bugeye is easy to disassemble, so minor body work can wait.