• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Rear Crank Seal Kit

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
I'm having my 100's engine done this winter and though it's not a terrible leaker I''d like to install a rear seal kit to tighten things up as much as possible.
I know there are several different kits available and would appreciate any input on which one to select along with installation tips.

Best--Michael Oritt

Country flag
Michael, Which kits are you considering? I've installed one and seen at least one other advertised, but they didn't seem to have much, if any, differences.

Note any kit AFAIK for the 100s requires machining the crank and some re-shaping of the rear engine plate. We did this for our BN2 and now the engine has excessive crankcase pressure and still leaks too much. Whether this can be attributed to the seal I can't say; I believe I would have checked the road draft tube for blockage but can't swear to it. A new thread just started re: drilling the rear main cap to drain the bearing. The kit we got--from BCS IIRC--recommended drilling but we didn't do it; the 100 crank is a known weak spot and compromising its support may not be advisable.

A possibly better/safer solution would be to install a PCV kit. I'd pre-purchased a kit for my BJ8 but at overhaul my mechanic all but refused to install it. He said to stick with the PCV kit I had already, but he made some artful improvements. This car now uses a quart every 2,500 miles or so, which I can live with. I've acquired a well-engineered PCV kit for the BN2 and will be installing it as soon as I get some more round tuits.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Hi Bob and thanks for the info. I really have not done any research on rear seal kits which is why I asked the question.

Until reading BT7 owner's--and now your-posts re leaks despite having installed the rear seal kit I assumed that installing a seal was pretty much a 100% solution to the problem. It will be interesting to see what additional feedback gets posted.

I have one of the early finned cast AL valve covers--the pattern that Ray Juncal uses minus one fin--and thus do not have any vent pipe except for the road draft tube. As said, my car doesn't leak much oil out of the transmission drain hole so maybe I should leave well enough alone?

Country flag
If your leak is just a few drops after a hard run I would leave it alone (your call, of course). The mods you have to make for a 100 are irreversible, the need for an additional drain is debatable, I've heard mixed results on the seals and a seal will wear and leak some eventually. There are also some who think the standard vertical drain pipe is too long as the end gets submerged and prevents drainage (I have no experience with that). When we first got our BN2/100M it would pee oil all over the floor after a run and we assumed it needed the rear seal. When we tore down the engine I found that the front seal on the gearbox was hard as a rock and, quite possibly, the source of most of the oil. If I was smart I'd have put 2+2 together and left well-enough alone. While you're in there, though, consider the copper pipe from the oil pump to the block, it's known to work-harden and crack. I installed a flex line from DWM and I see now Moss only offers a 'flexible replacement.'

My BJ8 pulls a slight vacuum at the filler cap at idle with a PCV--it has no source for fresh air that a true 'system' requires--but you can feel considerable pressure on the 100's filler. I have a stock valve cover with the vent that, since my car is a 100M vents to the CAB; it will make an ideal source for filtered air for a PCV system when I get it installed. It's kind of interesting, to me at least, that when emissions first became a hot topic, and the PCV system was one of the first, many raged that it was the devil. Now, hotrodders and others routinely install them not only to cut emissions and leaks, but it can keep your oil cleaner. The only downsides is a possibly dirtier intake. I put a catch can on my Mustang GT and it traps a teaspoon of oil or so every 1K miles; I've never replaced the valve on my BJ8 and it probably has 100K miles on it and the intake manifold was in good shape at tear-down.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
If your leak is just a few drops after a hard run I would leave it alone (your call, of course). The mods you have to make for a 100 are irreversible, the need for an additional drain is debatable, I've heard mixed results on the seals and a seal will wear and leak some eventually. There are also some who think the standard vertical drain pipe is too long as the end gets submerged and prevents drainage (I have no experience with that). When we first got our BN2/100M it would pee oil all over the floor after a run and we assumed it needed the rear seal. When we tore down the engine I found that the front seal on the gearbox was hard as a rock and, quite possibly, the source of most of the oil. If I was smart I'd have put 2+2 together and left well-enough alone. While you're in there, though, consider the copper pipe from the oil pump to the block, it's known to work-harden and crack. I installed a flex line from DWM and I see now Moss only offers a 'flexible replacement.'

My BJ8 pulls a slight vacuum at the filler cap at idle with a PCV--it has no source for fresh air that a true 'system' requires--but you can feel considerable pressure on the 100's filler. I have a stock valve cover with the vent that, since my car is a 100M vents to the CAB; it will make an ideal source for filtered air for a PCV system when I get it installed. It's kind of interesting, to me at least, that when emissions first became a hot topic, and the PCV system was one of the first, many raged that it was the devil. Now, hotrodders and others routinely install them not only to cut emissions and leaks, but it can keep your oil cleaner. The only downsides is a possibly dirtier intake. I put a catch can on my Mustang GT and it traps a teaspoon of oil or so every 1K miles; I've never replaced the valve on my BJ8 and it probably has 100K miles on it and the intake manifold was in good shape at tear-down.
While you're in there, though, consider the copper pipe from the oil pump to the block, it's known to work-harden and crack. I installed a flex line from DWM and I see now Moss only offers a 'flexible replacement.'
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I installed a flex line years ago after the copper pipe fractured while I was driving at speed. Luckily my eyes were on the OP gauge when it happeded--I literally saw the needle falling and was able to shut down with no damage. I also installed a red low OP warning light in the dash.

OP
Michael Oritt

Michael Oritt

Yoda
Gold
Country flag
Michael, Which kits are you considering? I've installed one and seen at least one other advertised, but they didn't seem to have much, if any, differences.

Note any kit AFAIK for the 100s requires machining the crank and some re-shaping of the rear engine plate. We did this for our BN2 and now the engine has excessive crankcase pressure and still leaks too much. Whether this can be attributed to the seal I can't say; I believe I would have checked the road draft tube for blockage but can't swear to it. A new thread just started re: drilling the rear main cap to drain the bearing. The kit we got--from BCS IIRC--recommended drilling but we didn't do it; the 100 crank is a known weak spot and compromising its support may not be advisable.

A possibly better/safer solution would be to install a PCV kit. I'd pre-purchased a kit for my BJ8 but at overhaul my mechanic all but refused to install it. He said to stick with the PCV kit I had already, but he made some artful improvements. This car now uses a quart every 2,500 miles or so, which I can live with. I've acquired a well-engineered PCV kit for the BN2 and will be installing it as soon as I get some more round tuits.

Bob Spidell said: "I've acquired a well-engineered PCV kit for the BN2 "
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Bob--

What was the source of the PCV kit you refer to?

Rob Glasgow

Jedi Knight
Country flag
David Nock installed a rear seal on my BT7 about 25 years ago and my car still doesn’t leak any oil from rear of the motor. What minimal oil it does leak comes from the transmission. I have a stock engine set up with no PVC valve.