• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Piston Sets

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
I am curious why Moss does not sell 83 mm piston sets (they only list complete piston/liner sets). Is it a quality issue or just possibly lack of a market for these? VB does list them in their catalog.

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
No idea really but my guess would be lack of market. Considering the work involved in changing pistons in these wet liner engines and the somewhat limited scenarios where new or bored liners would not be also advisable, lack of demand seems likely. When NOS sets come available, they seem to attract very few bids. New sets were available from Morse some time ago: 814000. They were also available from general aftermarket suppliers, (Hastings and Federal Mogul, for example) although I have not checked for some time.
Tom

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I would agree there is a lack of interest, if your going to do the work of a "meticulous Assembly" why settle for something that is marginal and out dated? I got my piston set from British Frame and Engine have not had the pleasure of driving it yet but I can't wait!

OP
RedTR3

RedTR3

Jedi Trainee
The machinist who is rebuilding my engine would prefer to bore the liners "in place" rather than removing/replacing them since the liners have been well-seated in the block for many years. Thus I am just assuming that I need to stay in the 83 mm range, maybe that is a poor assumption on my part. (have not reached that point in the rebuild yet).

TomMull

Darth Vader
Silver
Country flag
The machinist who is rebuilding my engine would prefer to bore the liners "in place" rather than removing/replacing them since the liners have been well-seated in the block for many years.

I'd get a second opinion here, for sure. This may be possible but does not sound right to me. You need to remove the jugs to replace the figure 8 gaskets and rely not on age and scuz for a seal. Any boring enlarges the bore and you cannot go back to std without inserting sleeves, totally impractical here. The block needs a thorough cleaning too, particularly after machine work.
Tom

DornTRoriginal

Jedi Hopeful
Gold
Country flag
I AGREE, probably not going to bore just hone them maybe? I have a copper head gasket (83mm) if you want it let me know, I have no use for it.

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
The machinist who is rebuilding my engine would prefer to bore the liners "in place" rather than removing/replacing them since the liners have been well-seated in the block for many years. Thus I am just assuming that I need to stay in the 83 mm range, maybe that is a poor assumption on my part. (have not reached that point in the rebuild yet).
I can't imagine the reasoning of all the metal shavings being collected in the block and then attempting to clean them out. I would definitely get a second opinion.

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Being able to remove the old liners allows one to "get inside" the block and really clean it out. This will help for cooling in the future. I found a lot of buildup, especially in the rear of the block. It sounds like your mechanic is just not experienced with liner type motors.
If you bore the old liners then you will likely need to go up to the 86 mm. pistons. Though there may be some piston sets between the 83 and 86.
Charley

TFB

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I cant imagine any experienced builder of these motors wanting to take that route unless the liners can be cleaned up with minimal honing (rigid clyinder hone) and original or new original size pistons can be used with new rings.
Even if you bore the liners oversize,and 83mm is available oversize, you still need pistons,pins and rings
The removable liners are of great benefit for rebuild ease .
Also hes not just boring but then finish honing,checking fit, and at what cost.
I would get best set of 86 mm ,disassemble to check clearances,wash everything with solvent,then soap and water,oil up, reassemble and install.
And I dont like three piece oil rings but thats another subject.
Tom

CJD

Yoda
Country flag
Find another machine shop. That one obviously wants to treat your engine like an American block with integral cylinders. You cannot count on crud holding a part while you machine it, and that is reason enough to run away from this guy.

You can easily machine the liners outside of the block...but once you price machining versus the price of a piston/liner set, you see why it is rarely done.

Jayplum

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Find another machine shop. That one obviously wants to treat your engine like an American block with integral cylinders. You cannot count on crud holding a part while you machine it, and that is reason enough to run away from this guy.

You can easily machine the liners outside of the block...but once you price machining versus the price of a piston/liner set, you see why it is rarely done.
amen!!