• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR3 Center Mirror - Support Bracket. Yes or No?

luke44

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Would an early TR3A (s/n #31577) have the small support bracket and rubber buffer behind the center mirror to reduce vibration or did that come later? I'm pretty sure the bracket was on the post 60000 cars with the upgraded center mirror, but does anyone know at what point this was added?

Thanks in advance.

7770187412_6750437d0d.jpg

7770186234_792e464490.jpg

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Luke - Piggott's "Original Triumph TR2/3/3A" reads on page 47:

"The rear view mirror changed during TR3A production, at TS60001. The earlier mirror has unpleasantly sharp edges .... The later mirror is larger and has black plastic safety edging, while at the base of its longer stalk is a steady bracket with rubber buffer ..."

Tom
PS Mine must have been replaced, as I have the later mirror assembly, despite my pre-60001 commission number.

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
TS47905L also has the steady bracket (with the correct earlier mirror). Seems doubtful that anyone prior to me cared enough about this car to add a later feature. Piggott is not always fool-proof.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
All TR2/3/3A/3B had the support buffer. If you look carefully at Piggott's "early" photo, you can see the edge of the bracket.

I guess "reduce vibration" is a reasonable description; but without the buffer, there is a very real chance that the glass will crack from vibration.

Attachments

• 29391.jpg
    29391.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 220

FordFiesta

You really want that centre brace, even if it's not concours-original. Without it the windshield is not supported well enough.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
<span style="font-size: 11pt"><span style="color: #003300">It's like Randall said...They all had them. You did a nice job of documenting your restoration and it looks like you're "Going for the Gold".. My notes indicate that your car (31577) was built sometime in the 3rd week of May 1958. Lots of reasons why that happens. Anyway, sometime in 1959 the company started to fit rheostats for the dash lights (probably some USA safety law). The problem was the rheostat wouldn't fit in the traditional top position for the switch, because the rheostat design wouldn't clear the plastic ignition warning and turn indicator bulb holders. Also, the rheostat mounting shaft was wider than the push-pull type, so Triumph had to re-design the facia. Now the wiper switch was on top and the panel switch (with the little arrows indicating it is now a "twister")was below the indicator lights.Bottom line....Replace the panel knob with one w/o the arrows on it.
Frank</span></span>

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
6TTR3A said:
Anyway, sometime in 1959 the company started to fit rheostats for the dash lights
Seems like I have read that it was somewhat sporadic at first. At any rate, I'd say that if you have the proper panel for the rheostat (larger hole in the middle as Frank said), go ahead and put it together that way (including the knob with the markings, on the rheostat).

But I agree, if that is the panel light switch, then it takes the knob without the arrows.

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
When I bought my TR3A brand new in May 1958 (TS 27489 LO), the windscreen had the anti-vibration buffer suppoert. The same one is still on the car.