• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

T-Series Tow bar on a TD?

pwlester

Freshman Member
Has anyone here used a tow bar to pull a TD? I am thinking that it might be a good idea to weld tow bar mounts on my TD so I could pull it home if it breaks down on the road instead of incurring a $100+ towing fee. I remember seeing these used a lot many years ago but have not seen one in the last 20 years or so. Now everyone seems to have trailers. Any advice would be appreciated. Paul.

ccougill

Jedi Warrior
If I had a TD I'd have a trailer (I do) or insurance that would pay for a flatbed. (Hagerty)

Steve_S

Yoda
You don't have AAA? They will tow for free. Many classic car insurance companies will also.

I don't have a good answer for your tow bar question since I've never used one. Honestly, an M.G. of any vintage should not break down so much that a tow bar would even be worth mounting.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Faith, Paul, faith...if it thinks you don't believe in it, it'll get you...if it knows you trust it, it'll not let you down!

Plus, I don't know how you would attach a tow bar that's safe enough....

OP
P

pwlester

Freshman Member
That TD and I are roughly the same age(I am oldest)so I understand if it sometimes gets contrary and stops. I am interested in towing it because I live in Texas and some of the events I would like to attend are at long distances in hot weather making travel by TD less than a happy experience. And yes Steve S. I know about your trip across the desert and over the mountains in a TC but I am really not up for that anymore. I don't have a good place for a trailer but a tow bar sounded like a good option. I am sort of concerned if it will put too much stress on the frame or front suspension. Paul.

Steve_S

Yoda
Not everyone enjoys distance touring in a little antique sports car! A trailer would be ideal of course, even a 2-wheel unit. Consider disconnecting the drive shaft if you leave the rear wheels on the ground. Without the engine running, it can cause serious wear in the gearbox to leave the rear wheels spinning for long periods of time.

I've seen tow bars on TCs, but I can't think of any TDs off hand.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
Looking up under my TD, I can't see where you'd attach one...

David_DuBois

Jedi Warrior
I have a tow bar for use on our TD. I have only used it once, for a distance of about 40 miles. Mine just has a flat bar that is bolted to the front end of the dumb irons where the bumper brackets bolt to. I had to get longer bolts and have special spacers made up to get everything to work correctly and I am not sure that I would consider towing the TD on long distances with it, but it worked well the one time. I also didn't bother disconnecting the drive shaft and don't know if it is really necessary. There seems to be two opposing opinions on the need for disconnecting the drive shaft with a manual transmission.

For long distance towing, consider renting a vehicle trailer or a two dolle from Uhaul. I thinnk that it would be a much safer alternative to a tow bar and it would be one less thing to have to store at home.
Cheers,

Steve_S

Yoda
The T-Series gearbox is lubricated on a "splash system". The first motion shaft is turned by the engine, which in turn spins the 2nd motion shaft (laygear). It is this shaft that throws the oil all over the gears, bearings, etc within the gearbox.

If you flat tow the car with the drive shaft connected, the 3rd motion shaft (mainshaft)turns but does not lubricate anything. This can cause the needle bearings between the main shaft and first motion shaft to run dry and burn up, as well as the rear mainshaft bearing.

To avoid this from happening, you must disconnect the drive shaft at the differential flange and tie it up out of the way. Don't let it hang loose or it might slide back and contact the spinning diff input flange! Alternatively you can stop periodically and run the engine for a while in neutral to let the layshaft splash oil around in the gearbox.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]I have a tow bar for use on our TD. I have only used it once, for a distance of about 40 miles. Mine just has a flat bar that is bolted to the front end of the dumb irons where the bumper brackets bolt to. I had to get longer bolts and have special spacers made up to get everything to work correctly [/QUOTE]
So, David, that entailed removing the bumper???

OP
P

pwlester

Freshman Member
Thanks for the input. Having been a reader here long before registering I know those who replied are very knowledgable. I have insurance through Hagerty so that is an option I had let slip my mind. Steve, thanks for the transmission info. I have the Moss 5-speed trans but it might be a good idea to disconnect the drive shaft(4 bolts) anyway in the event of a long trip. David, the 2 wheel cart for the front wheels might be small enough to store instead of a trailer. Lots of things to ponder and no real decision has to be made before spring. Thanks to all. Paul.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Just went to the British show in Charleston, SC and talked to a lady who owns a TD. I thought that it was just restored for the first time. Found out that I was wrong! It was just restored for the second time in a couple of years. Seems they liked to "Flat Tow" their TD, thinking they'd save on buying a trailer. Well, the tow bar broke while on the road and it took a whole year and a lot of money to put the car back together again. Fortunately they were able to repair it. A very sad affair. A lot of pain and heartbreak. The car does look beautiful again. All of this would never have happened if the car was trailered. Plus, in my opinion, (for whatever it's worth), flat towing a car that old, is a tremendous strain on the old drive train. How about the back bearing in the transmission? If it's to far to drive it, for safety sake, put it on or in a trailer. JMHO. PJ

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
I won't flat tow any car regardless of age or make!