• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Safest way to tow a Bugeye?

dcoplan

I know this is a simple question, but I don't want to take any chances on the tow guy screwing anything up. For sure I will have my car towed on a flat bed, question being what's the safest way to haul it up both from the front and back (in consideration of two options)? Around the axles? Chassis? Any warnings on what to look out for?

Dan

smaceng

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Either way on the flat bed. Safest way is to use tire straps on all four. Other methods, less safer and more possibility of damage to the car would be straps on the rear axle and front cross member. Scott in CA

OP
dcoplan

dcoplan

Just to clarify, around the axles, front or back, is the answer? Leave the chassis and other parts alone?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
If I remember correctly (and it's been a while) there are two tie down points just behind the front wheels, near the front edge of the floors underneath the car. One on each side, covered by a little rubber plug. Remove the plugs and you can get a hook in there. I believe they were used as shipping tie downs originally. Someone will need to confirm, though, because I can't be certain -- and don't want you to cause any damage.

If you do use the back axle, you'll want to be careful of the brake lines.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I do know you can't tow any kind of distance with driveshaft in place. Tranny lube comes from engine rotation and if towing with rear wheels on the ground, tranny is turning but not getting lubricated. If you need to flat tow disconnect the driveshaft.

OopsClunkThud

I do know you can't tow any kind of distance with driveshaft in place. Tranny lube comes from engine rotation and if towing with rear wheels on the ground, tranny is turning but not getting lubricated. If you need to flat tow disconnect the driveshaft.

Thanks, that just solved the puzzle of how the transmission case was cracked on my bugeye. It had a tow bar mounted to the front of it when I got it.

taskadog

Jedi Trainee
Hauling it up onto the flatbed: Pull it up from the front. The winch on the towtruck will not jerk it and the car ways less than 1700lbs. so there's not much risk of damage. Use the toe eyes, if it has any, or straps around the frame. Avoid the A-pans of suspension points.
Once on the bed, if they have straps that capture the tires and hold the car from there, then there is little chance of damage

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
If I remember correctly (and it's been a while) there are two tie down points just behind the front wheels, near the front edge of the floors underneath the car. One on each side, covered by a little rubber plug. Remove the plugs and you can get a hook in there. I believe they were used as shipping tie downs originally. Someone will need to confirm, though, because I can't be certain -- and don't want you to cause any damage.

If you do use the back axle, you'll want to be careful of the brake lines.

I doubt those were intended as hold-downs. (At least I've never heard that explanation for them) There's not much structure there, just flat sheet metal, and I sure wouldn't trust securing my car in that fashion. Later Sprites had tow hook brackets bolted to the frame horns using the bumper bolts. Brackets could be swapped or custom made (see pic). Over the tires or with axle straps (looks like a short seat belt) would be much better. I use the tow hooks and axle straps when towing the race car on my trailer.

tow hooks.jpg

Last edited:

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I doubt those were intended as hold-downs. (At least I've never heard that explanation for them) There's not much structure there, just flat sheet metal, and I sure wouldn't trust securing my car in that fashion.
Thanks for the clarification, Gerard. As I said, it's been a while since I had to have a Bugeye towed.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard,

Those nice tow hooks you showed are you producing those tow hooks? Will they work with a front tilt bonnet?

nomad

Yoda
Gerard, how about the source of that nifty anti sway bar?? :playful:

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I didn't notice the adjustable Sway Bar. Trick stuff.

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gerard,

Those nice tow hooks you showed are you producing those tow hooks? Will they work with a front tilt bonnet?

That's a 5 speed customer in Colorado. *The bar is from Winner's Circle.*

As far as the tow hooks, I don't make them because I don't think there'd be enough demand. I have the resources and certainly something I could do in quantity, if there was interest though.

Last edited: