• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Car Dolly's and LBC's /Drive or Tow to the Ozarks

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
OK this week marks < 6 months to go until the Spridget 50th Celebration. In prepping for a Trip to the Ozarks this summer I'm presented with a dilema. I have access to a car dolly which is described to me as "So Small you can't hardly fit anything on it."

1) So what is the minimum distance needed to safely fit a Spridget on it?

2) I know driveshaft needs to be disconnected. Can it be disconnected, dropped down and somehow secured in place, or does it need to be removed so rear end isn't banging against it as I go down the road.

3) Fluid loss from tranny if disconnected?

4) Will driveshaft fit in the trunk? How long is it?

Option 1 - Use Car Dolly/Trailer to comfortably tow Bugsy with Suburban - 75-80 mph tow speeds and never know it is behind the Suburban. Room for tools, jack stands, and most of my garage in the back of the Suburban. Know I will get there and not have to wory about a mechanical breakdown along the way. Available to tow other stranded LBC's I may find along the way.

Option 2 - Experience life on the open road with a Spridget, trust to my wits and engineering abilities, and knowledge of driving Bugsy and his quirks over past 6 years to arrive safely in the Ozarks and return without incident. With minimal mechanical backups, tools, spares, etc.

So which are you going to do - Drive or Tow. We need to start some planning dialog on Routes and Convoys and Times from North, South, East, and West. This trip can be a whole lot more fun if done in a group, picking cars up along the route. I live right off of I-70 for example which many folks will traverse coming from the East. Lets start the convoy.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If you tow just remove the four bolts at the rear of the drive shaft and safety wire it up under the car on that end. Tranny will not turn and oil will not come out.

Think I used a couple of coat hangers long long ago from MI to Atlanta.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
My family and I are driving 2 days each way with 3 Sprites.
Half the fun is the drive and if nothing goes wrong, you will have nothing to talk about. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif
At SS03, John Sprinzel was driving one of my Sprites when he lost all the oil at speed on the NJ Turnpike.
He quickly shut it down and we did manage to fix it on the side of the road in 10 minutes. And if that never happened, he would never remember the trip.
Having a fuel pump failure on the uphill side of a major bridge keeps your adrenalin pumping for sure.
Drive it, and remember, I have seen severe damage to cars that arrive at meets on trailers. Some jump the front, others shift off the side, some just roll off the back.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Re: Car Dolly's and LBC's /Drive or Tow to the Oza

You could also put bugsy on backwards - as long as you don't have wirewheels

or of course, there's putting Busgy IN the Suburban /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

If you can get a trailer - that's the way to go.
I've learned (don't ask)to use a come-along at the
front & back,with tie down at each corner for insrance.
Also,it's very hard for most people to back up a dolly.

- Doug

kcbugeye1275

Jedi Knight

Decisions, decisions, there probably isn't a right answer. I think a group trip might better allow the fixing of any problem, if by yourself, maybe a trailer would be better, regardless, be there, it will be a great time. Just thinking about the warm weather, Ozark hills and roads, and the meet makes the winter less cold.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

As someone mentioned, Bugsy could almost fit inside the Suburban. The '96 Suburban got nicknamed "Dwayne". I'll describe him as a "Big, Male. Dumb, 3/4 Ton Truck". He's got one purpose , pulling the boat trailer and an occasional run to Home Depot. Other than that he just takes up a large space in the driveway. No rust, never wrecked, absolutely clean, 150k miles, simple and stupid truck that consumes major gas around town but once moving on expressway not too bad. Price was right.

So lets start talking about convoys. I can imagine Frank C. and family starting from Jersey and picking up Spridget here there and everywhere along the route from the East Coast to the Ozarks. I see the movie now, what starts as two Sprites tooling down the expressway, first on , then two Spridgets fall in behind getting a speed boost as they accellerate down the ramp and deftly move in behind. Through one state and another,what started as two becomes 6, becomes 10, becomes 20 Spridgets heading Southwest. Convoys coming from the Midwest heading South from Team Thicko Land passing through Chicago and down to St. Louis where they join up with the Convoy from New Jersey. One after another, Spridgets everywhere gathering to visit with their brethren. With Cell Phones and some of those low power, inexpensive FM Tranceivers we can organize and communicate.

I know this is possible to organize. the Cobra Kit Car folks seem to get something like this together every year to gather at a Cobra meet in London, OH. Last year they has more than 300 Cobra Replicars there. We need some ideas put together on how to organize a convoy and some thoughts on great routes to take to get to the Ozarks. 10 hours of Expressway Driving is not what I'm interested in doing. Gotta see some scenery and curvy roads. Let's start talking this one up.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Go for it Jim, I have to be there early a day or so to kind of get things ready.

Bring it on good buddy. I got the front door.

spritenut

Luke Skywalker

Yes Jim, a convoy is in the works.
A few guys from NJ are coming with me, maybe a couple from NY, and we are picking up the PA gang as we drive thru.
PA pike to I-70 to St Louis then south on 55 (I think) to LotO. A couple of guys will have trailers so if one of the driven cars has a major meltdown, we will just put it on a trailer and drive the trailered car.
We are bringing everything but a spare engine so far.
Front end, diffs, axles, radiator and I even have a good running 1098 we can toss in the back of 1 of the trucks just incase.
So far the plan is to make it to WV or eastern Ohio by the first night.
We can meet you along the way.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

Frank,

You can count on picking me up along the way. The convoy is going to pass within 10 miles of my house. And I know Bud Osbourbe in Indy wants to join along the way. Several folks from Cincinnati area will make their way up I-75 and join up in Indianapolis. It's gonna be a regular convoy.

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]So which are you going to do - Drive or Tow. [/QUOTE]
My '63 Midget will be on the trailer.....we're going from Huntsville, AL to Memphis via US72, then I think we're gonna take 'blue' highways on in - US63 primarily, I think.....there'll be a few of us from north Alabama in a little convoy....anybody who wants feel free to join us.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag

Boy oh boy, this is shapeing up to be a real happening.

Can you just see the folks smileing along side the road and at the fuel stops.

OP
Jim_Gruber

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

Jack,

This is the fun part getting it all organized and planning and anticipating. MapQuest says 562 miles from Dayotn to the Inn at Grand Glaize. And a little over 8 hours from here.Right! My a__ is numb already thinking about it but the brain is excited thinking about meeting lots of great folks along the way. Gonna be a fun, fun trip.

Bugsy my '68 Sprite's rhinoplasty starts this weekend.

healeyboz

Jedi Knight

Jim,

I sure do! I want to be picked up along the way. I would also like to take mostly state roads to the show. I got a garmin for Christmas and already mapped the route avoiding interstates and highways. I guess it is too far or something. It will not avoid 70. I have to get the car running perfect before I attempt the trip though!! I probably will not know for sure until sometime this spring.

Any ideas as to a route that we can take? I am off in the summer so I don't care if it takes extra time to get there.

The nostalgia and thoughts of rolling through towns as opposed to around is very appealing! Getting off of the concrete monsters and enjoying the coolness of the countryside is my preference. Thoughts?

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Barry - get to Memphis & join our convoy...

Bugeye58

Yoda

I just wish I had something presentable to drive by then. The '72 is the only one on the road right now, and it has some serious cosmetic issues.
Jeff

healeyboz

Jedi Knight

That would be fun but add about twice the amount of time to get to the Ozarks and still have to take major interstates. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

healeyboz

Jedi Knight

Still would be fun to have you there, Jeff. Take the 72, I won't say a word! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif