• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A TR-3 Tow Car

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
One of the guys in the Sunbeam section here at BCF has written something about the old Vineland race track in southern New Jersey.
It has been closed since I was a teenager but I had several web pages about it bookmarked (I never got to it, but it was near my parent's house).

Anyway, one picture (taken around '65) shows a Lotus Seven being flat-towed to the track by a TR-3.
Here I'm all excited about my new van and trailer for my racer....I guess times were simpler back then......
sevFitzgerald11.jpg

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Reminds me of Hardy Prentice - flat-towed his TR3 with an E-type Jag.I thought this was a joke until I actually saw him do this at Portland,& Seattle race tracks.

- Doug

Bugeye58

Yoda
Doug, it's funny you should mention that, as when I saw Nials' picture, I immediately thought of Hardy. The reason Hardy used the Jag was that it was the only car he had!
I ran into him at Laguna a few years back, and he was trailering the 3 with a Ford Mini-Van. Aerostar or Windstar, one of those. He's still got the Jag, too.
Still living in Daly City, as far as I know.
Jeff

piman

Darth Vader
Hello all,

at one time Innes Ireland used an Aston Martin DB4GT as a tow car pulling a Ford GT40 on a trailer to races in Europe. According to Denis Jenkinson, he said that it was an excellent car to tow with.

Alec

billspit

Jedi Knight
Country flag
I believe Hardy towed the TR3 all the way to Road Atlanta a few times when the runoffs were there. Never met him but he was my hero back then. I had a 3 at the time.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
What I would give to have that setup now! As well as the Saab wagon in the background.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Those Saab 95's (wagons) back then had the same lever shocks in the back as our beloved TR's. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/hammer.gif

R6MGS

Yoda
nice pic, that TR3 looks beautiful with a hardtop and sidecurtains, I'd take that over any of those cars, including the racers.

bobh

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
When I had my '71 TR6 I lived outside of Atlantic City. I was so impressed with the TR that I started looking for a TR3. Not that I had any place to work on it. I lived in an apartment and did all my work in the parking lot. My search led me to Vineland where a guy has 3 TR3s, a pile of spares, an early Midget or Sprite, a Bugeye and a two axle trailer. He wanted $750 for everything. All or nothing. I had to pass on the deal. I wonder if he ever raced on the old track?

OP
aeronca65t

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
One of my favorite towing stories is about ~PHIL HUNT~ , a friend and well-known racer here in New Jersey. One Summer, Phil decided to trailer his faithful Volvo 142 all around the USA with his family on sort of a "SCCA racing vacation". He used his Ford pickup to do the towing. Somewhere out in the midwest the Ford blew up. Not a problem: he put the Ford on the trailer and kept towing with the Volvo (which has dealer plates from his used car dealership). He kept racing too!

Sidenote: Phil had a bad race accident in a vintage motorcycle race some years back and is now in a wheelchair. He still races in our Time Trials using self-designed hand-controls. A neat guy.

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I have a trailer hitch on my '59 -- it's welded to a plate that is welded to the frame. My friend, Adam, and I were talking about what I could tow...need to either find one of those classic one-wheeled trailers or go make a deal for a rather rusty TR3 a few miles away and cut the car at the rear bulkhead, and just tow a TR3 rear!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Sam,

Look for one of the Coleman Versatrailers.
I've had one for about 25 years.2 wheels,single axle,
tilt-bed,1/2 ton rating,with a plastic top.
We bought this when I was racing the Fiesta.
We were able to haul everything we needed - tent,spare wheels/tires,tools,etc.
I upset more than a few people who would try &
hold this "little fereign car" off.It had to embarress them when they noticed that I was towing a trailer,behind it.
I think about selling it time-to-time,but haven't
done it yet.

- Doug