• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Question - a little OT - Tow vehicles

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight
Hi guys,

A little off-topic, but I know a lot of you guys have tow vehicles. There's a low-mileage '94 GMC Sierra 1500, V6 with factory *propane* conversion, near me. Low miles (100K) and supposed to be in good shape.

Anyone have any experience with this model, or similar? I was thinking it'd be a good, cheap, fuel-efficient workhorse...

https://www.usedottawa.com/classified-ad/6709218

YOW6709218.2.jpg

G

That truck is severely under powered, under braked, and has way too light duty of a transmission and suspension for towing purpose! I've seen just this kind of blunder SO many times throughout my automotive carreer....Someone using too light duty of a truck for their purposes driven by a budget... Moreover, that truck is FAR from fuel efficient... I have customers who get better mileage with that very model sporting the 350 V-8 than those with the 4.3 litre V-6. Also, if it has the M30 RPO code transmission, (4L60E), it is real weak in the towing department. That year GM truck had the 4L80E in the 3/4 tons.... more than twice as strong as it's 1/2 ton counterpart!

A larger 3/4 ton is ideal, but a big-engine 1/2 ton with bigger brakes and towing suspension is adequate, too, if you limit the size of the towed car to that of an MG, Triumph, etc.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
I think it depends on how you tow.

If you want to tow an enclosed trailer with a heavy car in it going up hills at 120 kph, that truck won't do it.

If you are happy to soft-pedal the gas and cruise at 100 kph towing a lighter load, it'll work fine.
I have seen several of those V6 trucks in use towing vintage cars on open trailers.

By the way, I am towing an open trailer with a 3.9L Ford Freestar mini-van. Electric brakes, stabilizer, etc. Works fine for my purposes (about 5000 miles of race car towing per year last three years). I'm getting about 17 mpg towing so I'm delighted. I drive super-gentle when I tow.
That pickup will probably be hard on fuel, whether you're pulling or not.

All of this assumes it has a decent trans, which is the weak point in many used tow-vehicles.

G

Is it possible that you do as many others in that just because you've seen others take risks, and had no consequences, that what they do is alright? I still unload my guns when I clean them.. and it might create a false sense of security if someone else observes me cleaning those guns while they are still loaded and proceed to clean their guns while loaded. And just as in that scenario, as I've stated, I have seen many problems through the years with people who use a vehicle beyond safety limits... The owner's manual helps, but common sense still prevails.

Just pulling in a straight line isn't nearly the whole scene... there are panic stops, sudden maneuvers, etc that sometimes are impossible to avoid despite best efforts. A big engine helps slow down a rig with engine braking on decelleration, and brakes are doing double duty going downhill....Heavy suspension can prevent roll overs and allow better control over the entire rig.

IMHO... A Ford Freestar is woefully inadequate to haul a car...

If you're towing with open trailer you can get by with alot less truck than a when towing a enclosed traler, you need a hoss, preferably a diesel to get the job done with enclosed trailer, even with a enclosed trailer as small as 16ft, they are bog ole squares box that HP to pull them down the road. If you're looking to just pull a open trailer, then this truck my be ok for a samll sprite and light open trialer, but you could get a 4.3 V6 whic weight alot less than the full size truck.

Here's my dilema, with my 2001 F350 7.3 powerstorke crew cab diesel I can pull anything I want, and carry 4 big boy comfortably, and if I want to go with a ligth open trailer, then I can get the fuel milelage of the smaller vehichle, in comparision to Niel's fuel mielage (16-18 depending on how fat I want to drive), I can get the same with the big diesel as alomost any of the suitalbe gas engine offerings . I like to see the car companies start to offer smaller V8 or even V6 turbo diesels that get can 20+MPG pulling a open trailer, only problem is they probably cost so musch I'd still be better off sticking with the already paid for F-350. people in V6 Explorers at the gas pumps are always asking me about fuel mileage, only to find out I'm getting the same as them. NOw I feel real sorry for the folks who bought 454 or V10 trucks, thay can't give those things away.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
Hap:

I'd keep the truck you have. The payback for buying a new (more economical) truck vs. the one you have could be many years, even if gas goes up another 25%.
Unless there's something about your present truck you don't like.
(although there are some great deals on big-engine trucks at dealers in my area.......$12,000 under MSRP, etc.)

Sherman said:
IMHO... A Ford Freestar is woefully inadequate to haul a car...

Thanks for your opinion.

The literature provided from Ford Motor Company disagrees with you.
I'm taking their word for it and not your's.

198686d

Jedi Trainee
I'm glad someone raised the question about towing. I'm a novice with towing other than 3 rail motorcycle trailers which I've actually towed with VW Bug, amongst others, so I know nothing about towing an LBC. What is an adequate SUV type vehicle for towing a BE or BJ8 with an open trailer? Can this function be performed safely with a 6cyl. vehicle?

Thanks.
dave

61 BE
05 Vespa ET4
04 Mini Cooper S with mods

04 Honda CRV...totaled by deer when struck at 70 mph+ in Eau Claire Wisconsin two weeks ago which is why I'm asking about SUUV

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
If careful you can tow a Bugeye with a 4 cyl Ranger, std tranny. That's open special built trailer of course. I have done it and Kim did it half way across the country.

Branson

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I had no problem towing my sprite on an open trailer with an '03 Landrover Freelander se3 (2.3L v6). Just had to make sure the overdrive was turned off.

Im currently using an 01 Chevy Tahoe with the towing package and a 350.

Starting to consider a new Toyota FJ for the next vehicle. I think its towing capacity is like 5000 lbs.

the FJ has a 4.0L v6

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
I pulled a 74 Midget up Parley's Canyon (4500' to 8000' elevation change, freeway speeds) with a 3.5 V6 Isuzu Rodeo Sport. This is one of the steeper/higher freeway grades in the USA. Pulled like a champ.

Spridgets are pretty light (1500# or less for most models), and on a light open trailer you're around 2000 - 2500# or so total. The Rodeo is rated to tow 3500#, so plenty of headroom.

Morris

Yoda
Here in Texas we KNOW that you need AT LEAST a 1 ton jacked up turbo diesel dually just to haul your MeeMaw back and forth from church on Sunday.

These Northerners will just never get it. :wink:

G

I just bought (July 31st)a brand new 2008 F-150 crew with the Lariat and TOW package and a 5.4 engine... it has the biggest frame in it's class, bigger leaf springs, yada yada yada. It also sports the 4rR75W transmission. This is the Raveneaux design which is FAR superior to the Simpson design most other vehicles use... so towing is a breeze. I financed 14K$ after trading in my 2001 Miata with just 45k miles on it and no cash down... it stickered just 50 bucks south of 40K$. So I'm tickled with my deal... I just sold my original tow vehicle today.... 1990 Suburban WITH Tow package....184,000 miles on the clock... still runs perfect, looks like new...but it has the MD-8 (700R4) Transmission that has so many inherent problems IF you do not tow exactly right! This trans is original due to meticulous attention to maintenance and following EXACT directions as far as towing goes. I've towed with smaller vehicles just like these other guys allude to here. They seem miffed that I even dash the use of those twinky-dinky vehicles to tow... But the control I have in all aspects of handling, braking, steering, maneuvering are FAR better in the bigger vehicles that are really more suited for towing. At least I know I won't ever have the towed trailer/car combo be dragging me down the highway backwards like Ive seen with a Chevy S-10 once! This IS one time that bogger IS better! ROH! ROH! ROH! (Tim Allen)

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
:cowboy:In Texas I think a Quad-Cab Dually 4x4 is still classified as a compact, Am I Right?!? :lol: :cowboy:

Having lived in FtWorth for a year (work assignment) I quickly learned that ALMOST EVERYONE in the Lone Star State has at least one pick-up in their garage (or barn, or stable...)! Gotta have somewhere to hang the Stetson and six-shooters I guess!! :smirk:

BTW: LOTS of good used tow vehicles from Texas are always available on eBay. No rust issues, fully equipped, and frequently recent model years! Just be careful that it didn't get heavy use on a farm or ranch. I've known several people who've bought trucks & Suburbans this way and are VERY PLEASED with their purchases years down the road!! :thumbsup:

Regarding Towing:
I've pulled a 7x16 enclosed trailer with a Chevy TrailBlazer. Pulled fine, even on hills. You could feel the side winds, & this did tend to have a neg impact on gas mileage. Also had a tendency to "wag" a little as you passed semis on the highway (I was probably driving too fast... I'll admit it!). The one time I really felt that this vehicle was insufficient for towing a 7x16 Haulmark Race Trailer (i.e. heavy duty w torsion suspension) was when I attempted to pass a semi at 70-75mph... Just as I was approaching the "buffeting zone" (as you are passing the semi cab) a large van FLEW past me on the left, causing me to receive a "wind wake" from both sides. The trailer started to "WAG" pretty significantly, and all I could do was HANG-ON, keep it pointed straight ahead & in the lane, and slowly decrease my speed until the trailer had stabilized. After that I decided that 65mph BEHIND the semi was just fine for the rest of the trip!! (BTW: I did check my shorts, they were surprizingly still clean...) I now own an F-350 quad-cab dually for towing! (although I am looking to downsize to something a little smaller... maybe something from Texas on eBay......)

In short ("too late?") IF you use a vehicle for towing that is near it's rated maximum capacity be sure to compensate by reducing your speed, increasing your patience, making certain that your tires & brakes are in peak condition, & leave PLENTY of room between yourself and everyone else on the road!

Happy Towing! :driving:

"Cheers!" :cheers:
-Bear-

G

A lot of it is the pride in stretching limits.. Kind of the "Little Choo-choo that could" mentality. "My 1/4 ton mini-sputz truck hauled 5,000 pounds of whuzzit across the country"! "'Course it had 17 flats, rolled over twice, went into the cow patties 3 times! But other'n that, she was purrfect!""" Moreover, since some of these guys got away with their flirt with disaster by towing up to limits, it is accepted as OK. So what if you burn too much fuel as long as everyone arrives safely! That Chevy S-10 I alluded to in my previous post wound up upside down in the tree tops just outside of Jackson, Mississippi along with the trailer.... both occupants died. Troopers at the scene said a combination of high wind and too small a truck for the trailer size were culprits.

What were the famous last words of Benny the Bugler? "They'll never shoot me, I just play the bugle"!

Morris

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]You slay me! laugh[/QUOTE]

Maybe I redeemed myself for the "Year of the clack" commit I made on another post. :rolleyes:

BugEyeBear

Jedi Trainee
A lot of fleet vehicles use propane becuase it is more economical. Downside is potentially the availability of refueling stations, & the extra space that the propane tank takes up. For fleet vehicles thay have a dedicated source of propane back at the city/county fleet yard. & since most of these are large vehicles, they can usually find a place to install the tank(s).

Some cities use CNG (Compressed Natural Gas) for their fleet vehicles.

Does this truck also allow the use of gas? i.e. is it dual-fueled?

"Cheers!" :cheers:
-Bear-