• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Exhaust Hanger Question

jfarris

Jedi Trainee
Gold
Country flag
Early TR3 #TS10193L
The only exhaust hanger I have is at the rear. So, where the exhaust goes through the center of the frame, it rests on the bottom of the hole. There should be no surprise that engine vibration and movement causes the exhaust pipe to hit and rattle on the frame. I think I'm finally tired of the noise!
Moss shows a clamp/bracket 812-020 that fits later than my car, TR3 from TS11717 - 3B.
They also have a 812-030 for a TR4, but they say either bracket will fit earlier cars.
Where on the car do these brackets go? In front of or behind the "X" center section?
Anyone with experience with either of these brackets?
Or did you just go to a muffler shop, if you can find one?
Thanks!

charleyf

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Early TR3 #TS10193L
The only exhaust hanger I have is at the rear. So, where the exhaust goes through the center of the frame, it rests on the bottom of the hole. There should be no surprise that engine vibration and movement causes the exhaust pipe to hit and rattle on the frame. I think I'm finally tired of the noise!
Moss shows a clamp/bracket 812-020 that fits later than my car, TR3 from TS11717 - 3B.
They also have a 812-030 for a TR4, but they say either bracket will fit earlier cars.
Where on the car do these brackets go? In front of or behind the "X" center section?
Anyone with experience with either of these brackets?
Or did you just go to a muffler shop, if you can find one?
Thanks!
The 812-020 is the stock hanger for the TR3. What is not shown are three bolts with washers and nuts. One for the middle and two, one on each end. Those two end bolts go through the frame and those rubber buffers ( two per bolt). The holes in the frame for those bolts and buffers are forward of the center frame section. Truthfully you will need to separate the exhaust pipe to get this hanger on the pipe. Also note that the hanger has a front and back. This is noted by the angled ends that the two bolts go through. It is a real PIA to get installed. I recall it took me a number of hours to do But it does allow you to get the rattle stopped. I am including a pic that barely shows the installed bracket on the very left. 20210718_165854.jpg It can be seen under the rear of the tranny. Note the bend in the fuel line around one of the outer bolts that go through the frame for the bracket .
Charley

Last edited:

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
FWIW... I find the later TR4 bracket to be less effective than the TR3 version. So if you are going to add one I'd suggest the TR3 bracket is your best bet.

auprichard

Country flag
The rubber buffers mentioned are actually very specific "stepped grommets". The part was originally TRF 42243, superceded as GEX7329 - same as grommet for a TR4A radiator stay. Roadster factory shows it in their database, Moss has it as part number 680-640.