• Hi Guest - Welcome to the New BCF!! Welcome to the new (as of 2/22/21) British Car Forum. For help navigating this platform, see: This forum
  • Hi Guest! Being a Paying Supporter is NOT a requirement to participate at BCF. However, subscribing will help ensure we can continue to serve the LBC community for years to come. If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource...Please consider supporting us by **Upgrading**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this banner)
Tips
Tips

Sway Bar End Links

SimsBJ8

While replacing the sway bar end link bushings on my ’67 BJ8, I found a setup that I cannot find any reference to. It has a 7/8 sway bar with end links that have compression springs that appear to be adjustable; see below picture.

Has anyone seen this setup before? What are the advantages and disadvantages?

I would think the spring end links would cushion the stiff 7/8 sway bar during casual driving and during hard turns would fully compress and allow the stiff sway bar to take over, maybe a little more roll going into a turn, but less of a roll throughout a turn. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Bob

Attachments

• Sway Bar End Links - with springs02.jpg
    Sway Bar End Links - with springs02.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 112
Last edited by a moderator:

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Re: Sway Bar - End Links, information

Nope !
Not me???

John Turney

Yoda
Silver

I can't think of a reason to do that unless they thought the 7/8" bar was too stiff. I have a 7/8" bar and I have regular end links (sort of). The stock end links aren't really strong enough for a 7/8" bar.

steveg

Yoda
Gold

Two-stage sway bar, eh?

The lower coil springs look pretty wimpy. On a turn, the sway bar would compress them as far as they would go. Are they trying to make a 7/8" bar less able to resist a turn - like a stock bar?

BoyRacer

Jedi Warrior
It's ridiculous. The springs render it useless for its intended purpose.

Madflyer

Jedi Warrior
I agree also it lost any point of being. When I would go to SCCA races hard turns would lift inside wheel, less rubber on the road. Madflyer

BigGreen

Jedi Warrior
Silver
And an other one

Front Bar with Spring.jpg

Attachments

• Front Bar with Spring 2.jpg
    Front Bar with Spring 2.jpg
    393.6 KB · Views: 17

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Looks like they used a long bolt instead of the standard link. Because mine is lowered and has a 7/8” bar, I also used long bolts, but with a length of 1/8” steel pipe between the ends to achieve the proper spacing.

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
Addco used to sell them. I put them on in the 70's when I was autocrossing regularly, but I went back to solid links.

Hangtown Healey

Jedi Hopeful
It was a long time ago. I think I didn't really notice a change in the straight ahead ride quality. My attempt at moving the steering box up and down was more successful on bump steer as I recall.