• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Top folding question

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
I know I'm not the only person who has issues with this. when I had the old top on the 1979 B it didn't really matter how carefully I folded the top as it was much like the texture of a Kleenex. It would just disintegrate a little more each time I messed with it. Well, I got a new top put on in the winter and have only put it down a couple of times but I know I'm doing it wrong. When I follow the manual, the backlight and quarter panels don't want to go over the lowered top...I can only softly tussle with it and have it go betwwen the body of the car and the lowered top. I do what Mickey Richaud said do and use a towel so I don't scratch the plastic but I really don't think I'm doing this correctly and don't want to hurt anything.
Now here's the real question...can someone post a video of their top folding technique to help those of us who have trouble with this? I've seen some folding jobs that were so neat it brought tears to my eyes. I would love anyone who could share their knowledge.
Thanks!

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
So it is just me then? The backlight really and truly will not physically go over the lowered top no matter what, even though the original top was able to do that. Guess I'll have to go to the upholstery shop where I had it installed and ask them...??

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Hey, TN -

Sorry nobody's jumped in here yet.

Does your top attach to one of the bows of the frame - maybe velcro or snaps? If so, it needs to be loose, so the top material can be pulled free of the frame bows. Don't know if this is making any sense, but you won't be able to pull the window area far enough if the top is attached.

One thing you might do is go to the next NBCC meeting with it and have someone give you a demo.

Mickey

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Thanks, M...
Yeah, you did show me at the British Car Show in Franklin and I had been doing it the same way but all seems different now with the new top. I'm going to examine it and see if there is something keeping the folded backlight from going over the lowered top. And you won't believe it but Woodstock has an identical twin who just moved down the street a couple of blocks! Same color and everything! I'm going to stick a note in his mailbox as well since he's just put a new top on his B; he clearly has this down to an art.
Thanks!

Mickey Richaud

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Good deal! And along with the note, tell him/her about the Forum - and the car club!

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I've had both "styles". The fold down has to be unfastened from all but the header rail, held out of the way (up) while the frame is lowered into the stowed position. Then the top may be folded from back to front once at the window top seam, the quarterlight "ears" folded inboard and the next fold about half way forward. Then it's a matter of wrapping the rest forward over the header rail and stowing it (mostly) under the frame on the "parcel shelf". Then on with the boot/tonneau bow and cover. The bath towel thing as it's folded helps too.

Hope that makes sense!

OP
TNMGB

TNMGB

Jedi Trainee
Thanks so much for the input...I'll go down to the garage this evening and give it another look and try.
Thank you!