• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR6 Soft top material

OP
S

slegsonly

Freshman Member
Country flag
Looking for opinions on soft top material. SO there is vinyl, mohair, Canvas and twill or some could actually be the same material (mohair-twill). Does anyone have experience with any of these? I am choking on the Robbins top cost and Prestige actually has a canvas top that I have read people are happy with. The others mohair from Rimmer (mohair with liner included) and twill ( lost the link) Anyway, what say you?

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
Stay away from cheap vinyl/cheap tops. Invest in quality here or hate yourself later.
I have installed dozens over the years, and crap some owners had found boggled the
imagination.
One comes to mind that was so bad, pieces had to be sewn into the corners of the
top (Tr3) to even have the end snaps at all. Good thing this top saw a lot of trunk time.
Mad dog

bammons

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I agree buy a good one. I bought mine from John Skinner UK along with my interior. It is vinyl and is fine. Most of our driving is top down but I figured it would see some time being used. There is cheap vinyl and good vinyl. I would only spend more if it is a trailer queen or you anticipate driving with it up alot. Even then vinyl is fine. I also figured the canvas would be harder to clean. It is a personal choice but don't be afraid of a quality vinyl. Bruce

mctriumph

Jedi Warrior
Silver
Country flag
I agree Skinner sells a fine top. I do question their awful customer service. They admit that the white
vinyl shrinks more than any color. Mine was terrible to fit (two men and a 100 deg day). breaking 2 studs
on the wind screen frame. Worst I have ever done in the last 50 years/two dozen tops.!!
They also provided the WRONG hardware kit and never sent another when I complained.
Mad dog

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
This is a Prestige top for my wife's 72 car which I ordered directly from them in the UK. The fit was perfect, but when the top came it had a misplaced stitch on one of the quarter windows and showed a slight gap. I told them about it, they wanted it back at their expense and they sent me another with no flaws. Took a couple of weeks. They were very nice about it. The top was a heavier material than a US-made top. PJ

Sandys 72 MGB.jpg