• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Took the TR3 out for Winter exercise

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
The sun is shining today, and its about 40 degrees out. Good enough for me! The TR3 hasn't been started in about three months, so I decided to start it and let it stretch its legs a little.

Pumped some air in the tires, then used the priming lever on the fuel pump to get fuel to the carbs...

It still needed a little shot of starter fluid. Starter was a little reluctant. Finally caught and it just wanted to idle for about 3 minutes.

It was very cold blooded for the first 5 minutes.

Finally, the temp came up and the engine started really humming.

The top has never been on this car, and I don't have the sidecurtain mounts on, so it was a tad chilly. My ears quickly turned signal red! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

It was great seeing all the people looking at me like I was crazy. Of course many people were just happy to see an old car out there.

Took it about 15 miles -- winding roads and freeway as well. Even stopped to look at the '80 MGB listed locally for $3995, and found it to be REALLY nice!!! (Extremely nice red paint, black interior very nice, except for one seam pulled loose on the passenger seat bottom.)

Great oil pressure and temp was 185 the whole ride (once it warmed up!)

It was nice to get back in the saddle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/driving.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
I envy you Sam. It's been raining here for the last couple of days, so hopefully it has washed the majority of the salt from the road. The snow is pretty well gone,and it's supposed to be around 40 Wednesday, so I think the '72 Midget will have to be my method of transportation to my racing club meeting that evening. Sans top, of course!
Jeff

Geo Hahn

Yoda
Country flag
For cold mornings I like a sock hat and an ear plug in the outboard ear. I have even resorted to a lap rug at times.

Someday you'll have to get the 'all-weather' gear on -- it is a cozy fit in the '3 with the top up and the side curtains in place... just be sure to put a bit of padding over the rear mounting bracket on the d/s side curtain, that will save your elbow once in awhile.

If by 'starter reluctant' you mean it balked at turning over the engine you might check the cable connections. In particular that terminal on the back of the starter can work loose over time.

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
I think the starter has been rebuilt too many times. I've had trouble with it since I bought the car. It is a good point to check the connection again though.

At some point, I'll invest in a gear reduction mini starter -- less weight, more starting power.

jayhawk

Jedi Warrior
Hey Sammy-- I think they were just in awe-- (as in "aw jeeze, I which I could be doing that"!
I did the same this past weekend with my TR3--but the weather here was considerably nicer-- record tying 68 degrees in Kansas City area!
Mine is half in primer with most of the chrome missing so folks were probably not so struck with mine-- it didn't diminish the fun.

urchin

Jedi Trainee
I drove my '80 TR-7 Spider in a blizzard last night, unplanned. I had driven the 150 miles to work during the evening, missing a moose hidden in the left lane of a rural road by only a hair. Two more moose stood on the side of the road. The blizzard drive occured when a heating system failed at the school where I serve as principal. By the time I left the building at 11:30 pm, wet snow had fallen for 4 hours. The roads were Monte Carlo Rally slick the entire distance. And yes, I left the top up in the snowstorm.

Jeff

OP
S

sammyb

Luke Skywalker
At least the TR7 is fun in the slick stuff. The city put down gravel on the road near my house and I took the opportunity to check how controllable the 7 is in a slide, and the handling is telepathic.

Jeff, I had a similar issue when I lived in Houston. We had a tropical storm, and that was the night I took it upon myself to have a "come to Jesus" meeting with one of the guys in the office, which lasted until 7:30pm. I literally floated my Corvette home. (I was floating through the Galleria area.) Finally I had to park in a driveway up the block from my house and swim through knee-deep water to get to my house...then two days later the storm returned and flooded the C5 and the '59 TR3. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif

And Jayhawk -- my '59 TR3 was primered in spots, and I had no problem driving it around. I think it's great when you drive a car for you, not for the onlookers (or just to have a show car.)

When you're inside driving, it doesn't make a difference what it looks like outside!

BRIAN TOWNE

Sammy Re: Winter exercise...... 40 degrees and sunny. Thats a good day in July for us. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif I HATE WINTER!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/pukeface.gif
Glad you got her out. Happy New Year!
Brian /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/canpatriot.GIF