• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Took another look at the paint

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I took another look at the paint today with my brother who has more experience with paint. He thinks that I can sand down the bad spots and touch them up. I still need to buy more paint as the whole car needs at least one more good coat and I don't have much paint left. The good parts do look really good even with no clear on it yet. I really got no money for more paint right now, so I will consider it some more.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Just wait till you do, meanwhile I am sure there are other things that need doing.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Gesh, knee should be all better by now. What's the Doc. say?

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
Gesh, knee should be all better by now. What's the Doc. say?
He says its some kind of arthritis now. Having a special brace made that he hopes will help. The problem is that my left knee hurts a lot now because of the extra strain placed on it. I have 5 months to get better or I am out of a job, insurance, etc. I'm trying to stay positive but sometimes its hard.

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Otho arthritis. Sound right? Bone rubbing on bone. Only answer is replace knee with steel.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
jlaird said:
Otho arthritis. Sound right? Bone rubbing on bone. Only answer is replace knee with steel.
Not sure jack, there are 100 different kinds of arthritis. My meniscus is fine (the cartilage between the bones) but the problem is with the catilage on the ends of the bones.

bugimike

Yoda
Good luck with the knees and the paint! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh, they may need to do some microscopic surgery to clean up the end spurs then, time will tell.

Can you get another opinion or are you stuck with the Dr. you have.

Microscop surgery not a big deal.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I don't think I am stuck with this one doc but He took pics when he was in there doing the microfracture surgery and it looked rough. I'm just hoping the brace will be enough to get me back to work long enough to get me out of trouble with losing my job and insurance.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
100_1301.jpg
100_1302.jpg
100_1303.jpg
100_1304.jpg
This of course has no clear on it and I have to fix the bad spots and it has a layer of dust on it by now also. I managed to find the problem and fix it on my touch up gun, so we sill see how it goes. The bad spot pics will be next.

RickB

Yoda
How is the back of the car?

Is the true color closer to this:

yellow_midg.jpg

I noticed you have neon light, tends to turn yellow a bit green /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
The back has some light spots, but not too bad. The lights are not neon , just flourescent. there is no green in it, rick. Its still not very light in my basement. The metallic is hard to get in the picture. Maybe I will try the flash on the camera.

OP
regularman

regularman

Yoda
Country flag
I think my problem was me putting it on too thick. One of the ads for this paint was coverage in 1 or 2 coats, I should have ignored that and used a bunch of light coats like with other paint. If I am able to touch up the bad spots then I will buy more paint and recoat the whole car before clearing.

bugimike

Yoda
From what I see in your pictures, I agree that you have put it on a bit thick in spots, and also perhaps a bit too soon after the first coat. That is what that krinkle both on the fender and sag on the front valance look like. Wet-sand off the bad spots and feather out quite a bit. This will make the touch-up blend in better (This is important with metalflake). After the touch-up, when it looks good, let it cure well, then tack-cloth and give the entire panel one more, even, light coat to even out the flake in the finish all across the panel!I think you have figured it out! Patience! It's gonna look GREAT! that color!

Remember, when you put metal-flake paint on, the flakes will concentrate or "puddle" in dips and the bottom of curves if you apply it so thick that the paint "moves". Always comes out more even with a few lighter coats applied at the recommended intervals! Metal flake needs to be even! The subsequent clear-coat will give it the "depth" /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/wink.gif ! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/thumbsup.gif /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/cheers.gif