• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Well, took a while but I got her running.

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
So between a couple of issues that where not immediately, some issues form her sitting for a couple of years in the desert, and one case of my being an idiot I finally got her running.

I left for the hanger early today, and it was a nice sunrise. I bet this isn't what most people imagine of when they think of SoCal.

BugeyeFirstStartNewDist8-29-092.jpg

View from the airport.

BugeyeFirstStartNewDist8-29-093.jpg

Coming out of storage;

BugeyeFirstStartNewDist8-29-0913.jpg

My first issue was that I wasn't getting any spark, which turns out to be due to my not wiring the newly rebuild distributor from Jeff. Duh! No ground. I needed to phone a friend for help on this - Rich C, you are <span style="font-weight: bold">the</span> man!

So once I got past that I only had a very weak spark, and then I was having funky behavior where she wouldn't turn over at all. So after cleaning the ground look what I found. John and Gregg helped me with figuring this our via email.

Turns out the lead was basically just resting in place in the neck...

BugeyeFirstStartNewDist8-29-0916.jpg

Not the right place for the fuel pump nor the right regulator but I just wanted to get her going today. I fitted one of those chrome fuel regulators since I had it on hand and it turns out that it only allows fuel flow on the 3 PSI or higher setting. I had it set to 2.5 and after I got spark but she still wouldn't start I checked her fuel flow and nothing, nada. Set it back on 3 and got an OK flow rate. Do for anyone who doubted the coaching of the guys who said these were junk - there you have it.

BugeyeFirstStartNewDist8-29-0911.jpg

Readings from my slightly non-stock dash. (It was set up like this when I bought it, really....)

BugeyeFirstStartNewDist8-29-0914.jpg

Turns out the other issue with getting her starting was that the rear most carb piston was stuck, so once I freed that and fixed the wiring she started.

Thanks for all of the info earlier in the week guys - it helped!

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
woo-ho! and thanks for the pics

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:] Do for anyone who doubted the coaching of the guys who said these were junk - there you have it. [/QUOTE]

Some of 'em are "self adjusting" too... as in: full pump delivery pressure. I've seen th' poxy things come APART in an engine bay. Get that Holley unit ASAP, man.

...or ya may find out how to make an LBC bark... "WOOF!" :shocked:

livinginthepast

Jedi Trainee
:cheers: :banana:

Go frogeye, go!

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Readings from my slightly non-stock dash. (It was set up like this when I bought it, really....)

Sure it.. :wink: was so whats the cloths pin about in the right hand side of the picture. There must be a story there I"m guessing choke control?
Glad you got her going. love the battery terminal
Now get it home and get it staight! :driving:

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
texas_bugeye said:
So whats the cloths pin about in the right hand side of the picture. There must be a story there I"m guessing choke control?

Yeah, that is the choke control. Slick, eh?

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
On a Lotus Elan there are TWO of those, tied together with a string... and they ain't choke control. :smirk:

dklawson

Yoda
texas_bugeye said:
so whats the cloths pin about in the <span style="font-weight: bold">right hand side </span>of the picture.

This is an argument I have with my Mrs. all the time. That's LEFT.
(Sorry... couldn't resist!)

Regarding the round regulators, I have found as the Dr. and others have said that the numbers mean nothing. I do have one that I put on the GT6 years ago. I set the fuel pressure by gauge (not by dial) and this particular unit has held that pressure. I can't say that they all do that! I'm sure at some point I'll replace it with the Holley regulator.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
I had one of the cheap round ones go bad too. Was starving the carbs, no idea what as "wrong" I took it apart, simple little thing. I had another sitting on the bench and I'm still running it, maybe I should get a Holley.

texas_bugeye

Jedi Knight
Hey from where I have been spending most of my time on my BE that is the right!Arrg!
Which brings up the question how do I keep some tension on the choke so it stays partialy on - fast idle?

bgbassplyr

Darth Vader
ISTR, Twist the choke knob clockwise 1/8 to 1/4 turn to hold the setting where you want it.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
Yep. There *should* be a spring clip in the housing at the solid part of the cable to hold it in place with a quarter-turn left or right.