• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

this carb set up, yes or no

mightymidget

Jedi Knight
I like the way this set up looks plus I like the idea of one carb, educate me on pro & cons since I am lost on the subject of weber carburators.

this is for a 1098/1275 engine (depending on shape of 1098 at machine shop) that I am trying to get going in my $500 midget. the carbs on the 1098 are all out of wack so they need to be redid so that will a big expense.

https://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Weber-40D...=item35a728de4c

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
The cost to redo the SU's may be far less than the frustration of trying to get theyWeber dialed in. Plus your mileage will be significantly different with the Weber than with the SU's.

scoutll

Jedi Knight
Country flag
They both have their mrits, bur Jim brought up some good points. A lot of people like the Weber, but once you get the SU's right and know how to deal with them, they are great. Plus, they tend to get significantly better mileage. I have talked to folks who got as much as 5-6 mpg difference in gas mileage (24-25 with the weber and 28-30 with the SU's).

Weber DCOEs tend to help on the top end, but lack the lower repsonse of the twin HS2 set up, and since most of your time is spent between 3000 and 5000 rpm, I tend to like the HS2 set up better. Twin SUs often intimadate folks, but they are the simpliest carbs on the planet, while the weber can be a bear to get dialed in, most of my customer tell me they simply bolt on my rebuilt SU carbs, set the idle and go.

jvandyke

Luke Skywalker
My 1098 had a weber (the common 32/36 though). I went through (cleaned up, replaced NOTHING) the original HS2 (I had never touched one before), threw them back on "just to see". Sold the Weber on ebay the next week and never looked back. Weber had a stumble on tip in that wouldn't go away. SUs don't. They are easier and way cooler. IMHO. My gas mileage went up even though my SUs really do need new throttle shafts and proper set up. Even so, I like them better then the Weber. Now maybe if a Weber pro spent a few hours fiddleing with jets and and dyno the Weber could win out but who has a Weber pro, a dyno and an extra $1,000 to try and make the Weber "almost" as good as the original SUs? I wonder why my PO ever put the Weber on in the first place. The kit costs $400!! For worse performance? Weird.

nomad

Yoda
Hs2's low 30's to high 30's for mileage. Last I checked on 2 lane road at about 65mph average got 37mpg's. 1275 in 66 midget with 5speed and stock rear ratio.[4.22?].
KA.

nomad

Yoda
John: 3.9 did'nt happen till 68 and 1/2. Iknow this because I bought a 68 parts car a while back and checked the serial numbers to be sure I got the 3.9.
I placed the ? mark cause I could'nt remember if it's 4.22 or 4.11
KA.

john_j

Jedi Trainee
nomad said:
John: 3.9 did'nt happen till 68 and 1/2. Iknow this because I bought a 68 parts car a while back and checked the serial numbers to be sure I got the 3.9.
I placed the ? mark cause I could'nt remember if it's 4.22 or 4.11
KA.

AAAhhh! I assumed that with a 1275 it would have a 3.9.

Hairyone

Jedi Trainee
ONE carb way to go, only one set of bits to buy, HIF44 is my choice on my 1275 frog. Has been proven by David Vizard to be good for engines producing up to 100 BHP. & will out perform a webber at low revs to around 4500. It will certainly give you more mpg. Check out Whitephrog post (today).
Here's mine; my frogeye