• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

MGB MGB ZS Carb 175CD

Eleven22

Freshman Member
Country flag
I just bought a 175CD carb for my 79 MGB. it was rebuilt. and when I went to pull mine off I noticed mine was a 175CD-2. it seems that 1 hose is different where it goes from the front to the back and there is a little port on the bottom that I was not using nor did I even know it was there. I contacted the seller and was told that the CD-2 was for triumphs and that MGBs never used it , so at sometime someone must have changed it. sure ok , i'll try this 175 CD and make the adjustments. I swapped it out car started right up sounded pretty good at first, then once warm it started to stumble so I took at my adjustment tool, and as I pushed it in it sounded like the car sounded better, without me even turning the Allen wrench part. I turned it just to see what difference it did so I can adjust it to what it needs to be. but every time I push down on the tool to hold it in place and then attempt to adjust the mixture it seemed that it would run better, as soon as I take pressure off the tool it starts stumbling a bit. my questions are :1. should this be expected? 2. when I do turn the allen wrench to either leaner or richer should there be a big difference? I did throw on a colortune to check it out and adjusting the needle seemed to do nothing for the color. It was running with a blue color so I figure it was ok , and I took it for a spin. It feels almost as if it is flooding. As it wouldn't die but it had no power, just going around the block I found myself having to baby the gas just to barely move the car. I'm starting to think this carb is bad. my other carb the 175CD-2 works it just needs a rebuild as it is time, but now I'm unsure if these cars ever came with a cd-2? any help would be great here.

OP
E

Eleven22

Freshman Member
Country flag
I figured out my own stuff. Ha! sometimes you have to sit back have a beer and think it through. I turned the needle all the way clockwise til it stopped then backed it out a quarter turn til I got it smooth. Just drove to the store and back. I'll do a full test drive tomorrow.

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
I figured out my own stuff. Ha! sometimes you have to sit back have a beer and think it through. I turned the needle all the way clockwise til it stopped then backed it out a quarter turn til I got it smooth. Just drove to the store and back. I'll do a full test drive tomorrow.
Good news! sometimes a beer and a think is the best route. (In truth a beer and a think would have saved me from hours of launching in without a plan)

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
First Rule: Stare at the problem sternly for a bit.

A CAB in-hand can help slow the impulse to jump in and "just DO it."

JPSmit

Staff member
Silver
Country flag
Big fan of staring sternly at the problem - for a very long time