• Hey Guest!
    Yoda says: A FREE resource for the Little British Car community BCF is. Support us with an account upgrade, not many will (less than 1%) "Require" you to pay to play we don't, but if you find BCF helpful, appreciate no pop up ads, and want to ensure we stay online - Supporting us with an "optional" low-cost member upgrade you should. There are some benefits to upgrading!
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Seeing this UGLY banner, you won't)
Tips
Tips

The Priest's Bugeye needs a Ride

spritenut

Luke Skywalker
As some of you know I will be restoring a Bugeye for a local retired Priest.
Father Jack already has a 69 Midget which is for sale to finance his Bugeye project.
I already have a $100 bugeye and it is exactly what a $100 Bugeye should look like.
No sills, no floors, no interior, no drivetrain,, no bonnet, but it does have some major dents.
Glen Byrns recently acquired a semi rust free California Bugeye shell with 2 little spots of rust and only 1 small dent.
It has floors, sills, and a bonnet!
I can buy Glen's tub for the cost of all the panels the tub I have needs. This will save a few weeks of cutting patching and welding.
I already have a 1098/ribcase that runs and will drop in. Interiors are a piece of cake. And I recently stripped out a 63 Sprite and am working on the front end and rear suspension bits.

SO HERE IS THE PLEA

Do you think we can shuttle Glen's bugeye tub across the country?
Somebody trailers it to the next guy who trailers it to the next guy who gets it a little closer to NJ.
Remember, this is for a Priest, he can take away any of your sins and unlock those Pearly Gates if you think you may need a little nudge due to your past acts.

I would like to start the project in September and have it ready for him around Christmas.
This leaves 6 weeks to get the Bugeye across the country.
What do you guys think? Possible?

A little about Father Jack.....
He's in his 70s, retired about a year ago. He still goes to housebound and ill people to give Communion, he does weddings for children of the parents of his parish, he's a nice guy, AND He disparately wants a Bugeye.
He has no money, He does have a nice Midget that he is selling to finance the Bugeye.

So IF we can get the CA tub to NJ, that will save a lot of time and effort in replacing most of the panels on the tub I have.
There has to be a real commitment to shuttling this car from point A to point B and beyond.
Shipping it across country is .80 a mile or $2400 give or take and that will be more than 1/2 of what Father Jack has to spend.
So plan on a short road trip with a trailer, meet other BCF members along the way. Heck, maybe a long trip, I think getting it over the Rockies is the hardest part.

On another forum wWe did it with an MGB hardtop...the thing to do is plot a route & see who's along it...you could use my list of MG owners across the country (https://www.theautoist.com/PRINTABLELIST.HTM) and the members of this forum as a start....if it comes near me, I can toss it on my trailer & haul it a few hundred miles.

Lord knows I need all the help I can get! hehehe

I'd be happy to help if I can for the Utah-ish portion if it needs to come through this way.

That's nice Drew - considering your proximity to the Rockies...

:wink:

spritenut said:
Remember, this is for a Priest, he can take away any of your sins and unlock those Pearly Gates if you think you may need a little nudge due to your past acts.
It'll take more than a little nudge for me, so consider Central Illinois covered.

Oh, and Frank, maybe Mark Endicott's map will help identifying people and places?

I'm probably a bit south of the best route, but count on me through the I-40/I-24 corridor.

Or depending on the time and distance, maybe even more...

Mickey

Oh, and I have a trailer as well.

I hate to commit without knowing a schedule, but I would do everything possible to help. I have a few friends that owe me some favors so if I can't do it then I may be able to volunteer one of them.

RickB said:
considering your proximity to the Rockies...
Right up in them big hills, to be exact. :smile:

Where exactly is the car & where exactly does it have to go....we can do a MapQuest to figure out the shortest & quickest route & then plug in ourselves or friends who could help.

Tony -

I believe that it is Davis, CA to Toms River, NJ.

Then that's up north using I-80 thru Cheyenne & Chicago to I-76 in Pennsylvania.

How much would it cost to have it shipped? When doing it via relay method the total mileage for the volunteers is double and gas is not cheap. (Call me Mr. Obvious)

If you need any help when the car is in Jersey, let me know, I need some absolotion :wink:

How is the BE going to packaged?

Inquiring minds want/need to know!

Steve

GeeBee1 said:
If you need any help when the car is in Jersey, let me know, I need some absolotion :wink:

Come help me with mine - I'll get you sorted :angel:

As of now the Bugeye may be coming on it's own trailer.
Simple 4 prong flat plug that fits most hitch plugs.
It's a new cheap trailer, but we may bolt the car to the trailer to avoid tie down issues with unexperienced haulers. I have seen some whimpy straps holding expensive cars. Before it leaves CA, I'm sure the guys out there will make sure the car and any parts are secure.
BTW it comes with a 1500 engine and trans, free to anyone who wants it if they are among the shuttle crew. Just take it when it gets to you.

spritenut said:
BTW it comes with a 1500 engine and trans, free to anyone who wants it if they are among the shuttle crew. Just take it when it gets to you.
Don't be surprised if it gets to you with those things still there Frank!
Keep in touch.

Passing it along on its own trailer makes a lot of sense. Just pick up the trailer and pass it on down the line.

Hey! if there is a gap in the relay you can enlist a spitfire guy to help in exchange for the 1500 lump. :wink:

I should be able to pull a trailer if the route is South.

Steve