• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

The mg and gas prices

marinmg

I have seen more and more <span style="font-weight: bold">mgb's</span> on the road lately due to the high cost of gas. I saw two today. I guess that is the only good thing about the high cost of gas. I guess everyone is ditching that SUV and getting that project going that as been sitting in the garage.

Just paid $4 per gallon for 87 octane. When I first put gas in my mga many years (1980) ago it was about $1 a gallon. It is still worth the fill up for how much fun it is to drive. Have you looked at a hummer driver lately?

Steve_S

Yoda
That's the good thing about your hobby being driving cars. People who spend all their money on stamp collecting, golf, beer, whatever, then have nothing left for gas! We get to enjoy our purchase after filling up the car. :smile:

toysrrus

Yoda
Hi Folks,

I was just passing thru. I`m typ. on the Triumph Forum but this Gas Price thing is a huge topic of conversation; I can only guess Worldwide.

Here on the Eastcoast in PA. Regular is $3.60-$3.70 / High Test is $3.90 avg.

This past weekend; My friend and I took a "Bridge Tour" that lasted about 3hrs. of driving time. We "Filled-Up" with 93 Octane @ $3.90 per gal. & still had approx. 3/4 tank left! "Not Bad at all"!

I guess it just may become the "Daily Driver" when regular hits the $4.00 mark here; Which it will in the very near future!

Russ

twigworker

Jedi Trainee
Miss my B already but at least I have my old Subaru for the time being. My B got in the high twenties to low thirties and I used it lately as much as possible. I absolutely could not function without my truck but driving it every day as I did, say a year ago, just can't happen any longer.

I am, as everyone is, concerned about gasoline prices, but what REALLY gets my attention is what Diesel costs. Those guys in the rigs, especially the owner-operator's will not be able to stand much more of this. The outfits to which they are leased and the trip lease brokers will not be able to add the necessary sur-charges to the mileage pay to compensate.

If diesel gets much higher you can positively expect to see lots of them either parked or in the bank repo lots while the driver's go try to eek out some other way of living. When that happens you will have to run over to the port docks and pick up your stuff that has come in from China for yourself. Either that or don't eat for a while. I was in the long haul small fleet business in the seventies and I do know what I am saying.

Jack

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
Really! Diesel is out of control Have you noticed the sudden jump in the price of just about everything? From food to gas, building material, autoparts, everything is UP because everything is trucked in. Forget about buying a car on ebay or something and then having it hauled to your location, transportation cost kill the deal.
I just spent $4.03 for premium.
Mike

blueA

Just paid AUS$1.66 for a litre of 98 which would translate to AUD$6.28 a US gallon.You are right everything is up in price.Bob

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
We're doubly cursed. Premium for the Alfa, diesel in the Benz. The five pot diesel is more cylinders than I've ever owned before, and the rest of the "fleet" requires 90+ octane to run properly... I'm ready to start carrying an aluminum baseball bat aboard and bash Hummer owners with it at intersections. Not because they are enviable, but because they're just plain STOOPID!!! :devilgrin: :jester:

I've been conservative all my life about petrochemical use and am straining now for others' idiocy. They want to drive around in their livingrooms watching a big screen TV!!! Irresponsible and wasteful.

...and before anyone starts the: "I can drive anything I want!" argie, I certainly AGREE. But running a THING like a Hummer/Escalade/SUV to get the groceries or pick up the sprogs from school is just posing. NEEDING a 15 MPG truck to do business, haul stuff or whatever is understandable. Having one just to haul one person to a daily job and back is a "fashion statement". An ill-fitting one, too.

I wish I had a dozen Geo Metros about now! :smirk:

74mgbgt4me

Freshman Member
I've seen lot's of Hummer drivers lately and they're as smug and arrogant as ever. I live in Dallas where these things are a dime a dozen. What fashion statement? Every other moron in town and their dog's got one. These people have a serious ego problem to say the least. I get more attention in my 35 year old MGB-GT than they do because the dumb things are so common and mine ain't! The ones that kill me are the ones who've just bought 'em. You can spot 'em by their paper dealer tags. Could one make a dumber purchase in these trying times of $4.00+ a gallon gas? Most of these people call themself conservative but we all know that ain't so! Go LBC's!

Shawn

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have some fun with these people - when they're
filling up next to you,start cursing,act REALLY
upset,& then say something like -

"This (insert your words here)thing's only getting
39 miles to the gallon!".Then watch the look on their
face.
You can also ask - "What's that get...29 MPG?".
It's just too easy.
I just filled up the Dodge Dakota- $65.00!
- Regular's 409/gallon.

- Doug

AngliaGT

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Have some fun with these people - when they're
filling up next to you,start cursing,act REALLY
upset,& then say something like -

"This (insert your words here)thing's only getting
39 miles to the gallon!".Then watch the look on their
face.
You can also ask - "What's that get...29 MPG?".
It's just too easy.
I just filled up the Dodge Dakota.Regular's 409/gallon.

- Doug

OP
M

marinmg

I agree with Jack.

This country is going to come to a grinding halt very soon if their is no trucks to move our goods due to the high cost of diesel.
Better put in a vegtable garden.

I am so happy my mga 1500 engine is a LOW compression engine that can burn just about anything you put in the tank. Just finished a 1275 High Compression engine for my bugeye which may have been a mistake.

There is a street in town where everyone advertises their car for sale (just like everywhere else) and all I see is SUV's for sale. Didn't anyone see this coming. Obviously not GM.
In traffic I do get lots of envious looks so expect these little cars to get more popular than ever. And this web site to get more popular than ever.

Liam

RickB

Yoda
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:]Better put in a vegtable garden.[/QUOTE]

I do, every year.

I also have fishing gear and keep plenty of ammo and I was taught how to hunt and fish as a boy all those many years ago.

I'm also fortunate in where I live, next to a whole lot of forest, rivers and lakes.

Oh, and I usually fill my Midget at Costco and sometimes I have to make a big deal of only being able to fit 6 or 7 gallons in the tank... Just for grins!

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Don't know what's happining, but reg gas just went from 3.43 to 3.35 here in SC. Explain why it costs 75 cents more per gal in Ca.???
screwy.gif

Shinsen774

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I've always wondered why gas is cheaper in North Carolina than Virginia, but the state tax is higher in North Carolina than it is in Virginia. The states are next door. How can that be?

I've also noticed that no one has slowed down to the maximum legal speed.....doing so would end the crisis if all did it....comply with the law that is. The Prius driver going 80 mph in a 65 zone makes no sense to me at all. Some trucking companies have had their drivers slow down and drive legally just due to the fuel savings.

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
Shinsen774 said:
Some trucking companies have had their drivers slow down and drive legally just due to the fuel savings.

I drive I-40 a lot between NC and Oklahoma and have noticed the same thing. Most trucks seem to be adhering more to the truck speed limit than before, as you stated, mostly the large companies. If the truck has GPS and a lot of them do, the company knows just how fast the driver has been driving.

ecurie_ecosse

Luke Skywalker
Just dropping your speed by as little as 2 miles an hour makes a difference in consumption.That, and not burning rubber on take off!! :devilgrin: :jester:

Stuart. :cheers:

Steve_S

Yoda
My MGC gets its best fuel mileage at around 80-85 MPH. Of course this is still well under 20 MPG but it's better than the 12 MPG it gets at lower speeds. :wink:

mk2sprite

Jedi Hopeful
If it's not bad enough driving these things, especially with the current situation, but the way they drive them. I live on a long wide block with 5 stop signs about 100yds or so from each other. And it PEDAL DOWN between every sign. talk about watching the gague move.
I live 20 miles east of NYC and you drive thru the Holland Tunnel into New Jersey and boom, like 10 gas stations. all of which are 20-30 cents cheaper a gallon then on the other side of the river.

19_again

Jedi Warrior
I drive a Highlander Hybrid and do mostly highway driving, average 26-27 at normal speeds 70-75, but if I go the limit at 65 then the average jumps to 29.7. Needless to say I go the limit at $3.57. In New England I have noticed drivers, 4 wheelers as well as truckers, slowing down. Of course even slowing down still doesn't change the laws of physics whereby if I'm talking on my cell phone I don't have to use directionals and I can cross solid lines and I can slow down for no apparent reason in the hi-speed lane.I love these guys that continually pass me and then slow down on the thruway giving me dirty looks when all the time I'm on cruise control.
Boy, I feel so much better!

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag
Four years ago I traded my then 3-year-old Subaru Outback wagon (24mpg) for a Hyundai Accent hatchback (35mpg), in part as a bit of an experiment. Four years and 77k miles later it's still going strong and I'm glad to have made the move. It has never let me down, it's paid for, and I can fit in it everything I need to. Definitely a successful move. Doing my part to use only what I need, with really no adverse consequences.

marinmg said:
Just finished a 1275 High Compression engine for my bugeye which may have been a mistake.
Still should get better mileage than a standard full-sized SUV by a long shot. I'm doing the the same thing right now with my Bugeye (hot 1275), but did keep the original 948 around. May have to rebuild it some day as an economy option.