• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Survey of Spitfire owners for article.

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
I am writing an article on the Spitfire for our club magazine, and would like to get some feedback from other owners to fill out the article.

I am interested in what you like or dislike about your Spitfire, what influenced your purchase, whether it is your first or only Triumph, whether it is stock or "tuned", and how you use it; i.e. local pleasure driving, longer trips too, motorsport/competition, concours/car show etc.
Anything else you think might be of interest is welcome.

Your name will not be mentioned, I am planning to feature a couple of guys in the club, so this will be just to create a
profile of a "typical" Spitfire owner (if there is such a thing!) No commercial use will be made of this, strictly a volunteer operation.

Any responses can be sent to me as a personal message if you feel this is cluttering up the board!
Thanks in advance!
Simon.

waltesefalcon

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I used my 79 spit as a daily driver for about two years. I drove it long distances, and in town daily. Right now it is only a weekend driver, and I am going to paint it and sell it soon. It was also my first British car, and after driving it and a couple MGBs convinced me to go with Triumph. My 66 is a car that I am going to completely rebuild from the ground up in my own image. Its currently just in the dissasembly stage. The things I like about the cars, are that they are very fun to drive, you can throw them around corners very fast and are fairly responsive; they look much better than MGs, and tend to cost a little less than a B. In addition they are easy and cheap to maintain. The things I don't like about them, are that the cabins get alot of engine heat, and if you live someplace where it gets warm in the summers, they can be pretty hot; the swing axle rear ends, have, well all the problems you get with swing axles, and I hate the CD150 carb. Overall I'd say that for the money, they are probably the most fun, best looking, and best preforming LBC you can get. But I think Bs and midgets are just kinda vanilla, and boring.

Mark Jones

Jedi Warrior
Hi Simon;

My 1980 Spitfire 1500, ‘Lil Bit’ is my first Triumph, but not my only British Car, I also own a 73 MGBGT.

My Spitfire is not stock: all the emission equipment has been removed except for the catalytic converted, and I have replaced the stock Stromberg carburetor with a UK-spec twin HS4 set-up. It does have overdrive, which is why I bought this particular car.

During the driving season it is used as regular transport, cruising, and is taken on long trips as well; the longest being 1,700 miles. My significant other also enjoys driving it every chance she gets. In fact she’ll probably claim stakes to it.

It’s a fun little car to drive. Since it is small and close to the ground you don’t have to be going fast to feel like you are flying along. Also is also a very easy car to work on due to flip front clip, and not an expensive car to maintain, it costs about the same as my MGBGT.

Contact me off-list if I can be of any further help to you.

Mark

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
I had a '76 with OD for a few years. I currently have another '76 that is in need of a total resto right now. My former car was used as a commuter and to have fun. I had sport springs, a Weber downdraft, and as much of the emissoins junk that could be removed, removed. I liked how simple it was to work on, it was comfy to drive, and neat electric OD. My wife on the otherhand, really didn't like the car. It was too windy for her with the top down. The Spit was my first British car, and I now own a couple of Stags(Wife likes these), a couple of JH's, and a Herald convertable.(basket case) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Paul Slice

Jedi Hopeful
Country flag
Simon,

My 80 BRG Spitfire is used for fun and extreme enjoyiment only, not driven daily. It is modified with a black chrome bumper conversion as well as other handeling, engine and relialibility changes. I have a 78 MGB as well but the Spitfire has better lines and is easier to work on. The hinging bonnet is the thing I remembered most about Spitfire, and 4 years ago when there was one on e-bay near me for a good price I jumped on it. I owned a 72 TR6 in the early 80s so it is not my first Triumph. It is a very fun car that makes you feel that you are going 75 mph when in reality you are going closer to 50.

Paul

4400e200776e7163.jpg

V

vagt6

Paul, that's one gorgeous Spit. Nice work, man! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/thumbsup.gif

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag
Echo on the Spit - very nice!

My 1973 is only driven on rare occasions now, but I can't bring myself to sell her. I would agree with Paul that the Spit seems to add about 20 MPH to everything!

She is a totally original 1973. Handles great - not the fastest thing in the world - but that isn't what they are about.

KLUTZ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Looking forward to reading the article Simon, when the issue comes out. Both your's and your better half's writing make the magazine worth the wait. (especially Mary's /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif )
And also, you know I am shy; next TTC meeting you go to, can you let me know please, I need to get my plate suround. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Paul

OP
Simon TR4a

Simon TR4a

Jedi Knight
Thanks to everyone for your contributions; and to Paul S, nice looking car!
My wife has a 1979 Spit in Pageant Blue, and its looks remind me of an MGA, very nice looking car, and as you all mentioned, fun.
Paul C-- Next issue will have an article about the turbo TR7V8 which ran at LeMans; the Spit article will be in the summer issue. I'll tell Mary what you said!

Next meeting is 3rd. Tuesday of this month, March 21st.
Thanks again! Simon.

frankenstang57

Jedi Warrior
That is on nice lookin' Spit! Good work! Look's like mine could use a little work tho...
[image]https://evilallianceracing.com/ipw-web/gallery/album239/100_1319[/image]

MadRiver

Jedi Knight
Bronze
Country flag
[ QUOTE ]
Where are all the round tail spitfires? Not one mentioned at all?

[/ QUOTE ]

Great question!