• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

shocks or levers "survey"

zimmy

Jedi Knight
shocks or levers "survey"

first of all, yes i know PeterC
and my front levers are rebuilt.
my right rear lever appears to b shot and hence
the reason my tire rubs occasionally.....

my point is.......
some of u have levers and some have shocks.....
which are better, and why?
no fighting please :wink: ........zimmmy

Morris

Yoda
Re: shocks or levers "survey"

I won't make a value statement on shocks versus levers, but I will say

a)rear tube shocks can be put in the car with off the shelf parts and little/no modifications to the car. In short, it's pretty cheap.

b)It doesn't seem to me that a bad shock would cause your wheel to rub. Not saying you don't have a bad shock, just suggesting something else is going on, too.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee

I have seen the kits on MOSS for rear tube shocks. Does anyone know which tube shocks are used for this conversion? I can make the adapter plates myself and save a little green.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

I had an issue with bolts on front of rear springs. The spring hanger was rotating as DPO did not install the correct size bolts. Bugsy would go into a corner body would lean and then I'd get an extra amount of roll and turn as axle rotated on spring mount. I had a 1" V groove in 4 of the spring mounting plate holes. Could not see it until I pulled the springs to have then rearched. You could have something wierd like that going on too.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior

I can't comment as to which is better, but I will be converting to tube shocks in the rear, most likely this weekend. It'll be the DIY method. I hope to get my rebuilt rear axle back under the car this weekend.

My reason? Because I can :wink: Actually, just because it's an easily reversible modification and it's cheap to do. I'd like to see how well it works. All I know is, the back end of the car was very "floaty" and would get squirrely on a bump (felt like it wanted to drift left and right, while kind of "floating"). So, hopefully re-arched springs, new poly bushings, and new tube shocks will get it riding the way it should again.

Next stop, front suspension, and probably a tube shock conversion there as well.

Dadandson

Jedi Trainee

Hey Kevin, where did you source the tube shocks for the rear?

drooartz

Staff member
Gold
Country flag

I figure the levers lasted for 50 years, who am I to mess with it. I've got my PeterC rebuilt fronts ready to go, and will be doing the rears eventually. Personal preferences, as I don't like to make alterations to the car if possible.

I haven't read anything saying one is really better than the other, but I also haven't read everything. :smile: I'll be sticking with the levers.

fabmandan

Jedi Hopeful

My car came with the Spax rear tube shocks installed and front tube shock conversion started but not put together. I haven't driven my car yet so I can't say. I'm going to use the tube shocks cause my front levers are shot.

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin

First.
The street car I'm building will probably retain the lever units. But I'll drain and re-fill them with clean oil. This often makes a huge difference. And if this doesn't help, for 99% of Spridget drivers, I think using the services of PeterC is a great idea. He has a great reputation.

However, there is a minority of us who use our cars for motorsports and need dampers that will not fade, even after 4 hours of hard use. For this type of situtation, the tube units are probably better. I can't think of any regular production racers who use lever units in a Spridget (except vintage racers).

Second. I hate the word "shocks" as applied to dampers.
The springs are the "shocks".
Whether they are tube-type or lever-type, they are "dampers".
But despite this, I'll use the word "shocks", since that seems to be the prevailing term these days. [/sigh]/

Anyway, if you really need the tube shocks for your application:
To convert the rear lever dampers to tube-tube dampers, flip the lower clamping plate that the rear axle U-bolts go through.
This will give it enough "drop that you can use Monroe part # 5877R tube-shocks
For the upper mount, use the upper strap mount (with a longer bolt). You may have to drill out the mounting holes on the end of each shock just slightly. And you will have to remove the dust cover. You can delete the upper strap mount or reposition it.

For front shocks, I used the same Monroe # 5877R units.

More info on fronts:

https://npmccabe.tripod.com/spritetubeshock.htm

For racing, these Monroe shocks have worked out great. I have same size Spax on the front right now, but I'll probably switch back to Monroe next season.

As usual, you are on your own on this.
Please don't write to me if you're unhappy with the result or your Mother-in-law complains about the rough ride. :jester:

[edit]--Just checked online. The gas Monroe #5877R are $25.81 each (USD). The regular (non-gas) shocks in this model are $15.02 each

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag

I discovered after I rebuilt the front end and replaced the shocks with Peter C's shock and I can't continue to emphasize the difference the shocks made. Rear end was still squirrely until I replaced the rear shocks as well. Need to replace as a complete set for best results.

Atrus

Jedi Warrior

I don't have the info in front of me, and I haven't purchased/completed it yet. Do a search for "DIY Tube shock" or something similar - there were a few threads on here.

Seemed that a Dodge Colt (1988 if I remember correctly) rear was a good fit for the spridget rear.

G

Gas. Nite and day difference. Replacing the 29 year old springs also helped some, I believe.

This was low buck but using decent gas shocks (Hyundai Excel).
IMG_0352.jpg

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

Lemme ask just 1 question: Where you gonna get a shock that lasts from 1974 until 2008?

None of the shocks you can buy will do that!

...& the difference in ride & handling you perceive you gain by swapping from those old 'dampers' to new shocks is only the difference between old & new.....swap old 'dampers' for new 'dampers' & you'll also be amazed at the difference!

...& you'll never have to do anything to your 'dampers' again!

Call PeterC & have him send you 4 rebuilt 'dampers'!

G

tony barnhill said:
Lemme ask just 1 question: Where you gonna get a shock that lasts from 1974 until 2008?

Mine didn't.

While I like nostalgic rides, I don't care too much for the "nostalgic ride."

tony barnhill

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P

gmichael52 said:
tony barnhill said:

Mine didn't.
Are you talking shocks (tube) or dampers (lever)?

Your dampers lasted about 30 years - your new shocks might go 3 or 4!

Country flag

I can honestly say that after running 3+ hours on the interstate my shocks (Rebuilt from Peter C) did seem a bit faded. At the time I thought they must has lost oil, but the next morning the extra "bounce" was gone. I've noted this on several occasions, but the difference is not enough to concern me. I've toyed with the idea of tube shocks on several occasions, but have always stuck with the levers.

tosoutherncars

Jedi Knight

OTOH,

- you don't need to maintain gas shocks
- you don't need to have them rebuilt
- they are universally available
- they should be mechanically more efficient, as they work in the plane of the action they are dampening

And although it may be baseless, I assume that modern valving technology allows better and more highly adjustable dampening than the Armstrong design, which is a fairly basic, 60 or 70(?) year old design.

Which is not to say I'm doing gas shocks... in fact, I'm in the middle of renewing my lever arms. I certainly think there's a potential upside to the upgrade. But as Tony and Nial point out, well-maintained rebuilt units should be durable, and suit the needs of most drivers... My two cents.

Gray_Cat

Jedi Warrior
Country flag

I will consider the change to gas shocks when (and if) the time comes. As it is, one of the few redeeming features on my poor little Bugeye, is that it has new rear lever shocks!
Roy
:cheers: :driving: <<<<looking forward to this by 11-1!!! (08).