• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Armstrong Lever Shocks

karls59tr

Obi Wan
Bronze
Country flag
Is it possible to check if a lever shock is working effectively when it's off the car? If they are the original shocks would it be reasonable to assume that they would be worn out after 50 years and that they should be replaced with rebuilt units? Anyone bought lever shocks from Nosimports on Ebay for $77.00 US with $30.00 refundable core charge?

Don Elliott

Obi Wan
I'm still driving my TR3A with the original rear lever shocks from new in May, 1958. I restored the TR from 1987 to 1990 and at that time I drained the oil from my shocks and replaced it with genuine Armstrong lever shock oil. Since then I've driven another 113,000 miles with no issues. These shocks have been on my TR for 194,500 miles from new. Why change them. ?

Reminder:- if they are off the car, re-fill with the shocks standing up in the correct vertical position as they would be when mounted on the car. This is to avoid over-filling.

If the lever moves as it should - resistance in one direction and a quick return in the other direction, they are operating as they should.

6TTR3A

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
Try Googling resistance measurement for Armstrong lever shocks
Lots of info, Pretty negative to your question about "bench"testing.
FRank

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
My take: Change the oil, then mount the shock upright and cycle the lever a few times to work the bubbles out of the cylinders. Double check the oil level and add more if necessary. Then force the arm through a full stroke up and down. You should feel the same resistance throughout each stroke (though not necessarily the same between up and down). If you can feel places where it moves easier or harder, the shock is worn out (or damaged).

As the Moss article notes, this is not a complete test, and certainly not grounds for evaluating performance or comparing one shock to the other. But, if they flunk this simple test, they are definitely bad. And if they pass, they are probably OK, IMO.
https://www.mossmotors.com/graphics/products/PDF/980-341.pdf

That eBay seller I believe is Peter Caldwell at World Wide Auto Parts in Madison, WI. He has been rebuilding them for a long time and I've never heard any complaints about the results. If you poke around on their web site, I think there is even an article on what all they do as part of the rebuild process. The result should be literally "better than new", even if you don't go for the various extra cost options (like increased damping, adjustable damping, etc).
https://www.nosimport.com/Lever-shocks-remanufactured/triumph-tr3-tr4-lever-shocks

I've got a pair packed up myself to go to him, just haven't sent them off yet. You need to contact him first, to get the instruction form and packing slip. He also offers options like immediately shipping rebuilt units from his stock, or waiting until your units can be rebuilt (for the true purists); and how much paint to apply afterwards (none, primer, arm only, entire shock).

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
I used Peter Caldwells shocks on my MGB and Bugeye Sprite and will on the TR4a...they are that good. As said many times they are rebuilt to better than new and have a lifetime warranty, they transformed the way my MGB drives.
Rut

PAUL161

Great Pumpkin
Silver
Country flag
I used Peter Caldwells shocks on my MGB and Bugeye Sprite and will on the TR4a...they are that good. As said many times they are rebuilt to better than new and have a lifetime warranty, they transformed the way my MGB drives.
Rut

I totally agree with having the shocks rebuilt by Peter! I had the shocks on the 72 B rebuilt by him and also the front shocks on the TF. His work is excellent and beyond compare. JMHO. PJ :encouragement: