• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spray on Chrome

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Has anybody tried any of the products out there yet? There seem to be quite a few relatively affordable things out there, but haven't heard any great testimonials about anything yet. The few I have seen reviewed weren't good. I'd like to hear from anyone, either good or bad.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Gerard

first and foremost what is the application and type of part you need chromed.

dklawson

Yoda
I have not tried any of the new products but over the years I have used various high-luster "chrome-like" paints on things like the INSIDES of bumpers. They seem OK for that purpose.

Country flag
I've not used any, but I've seen some speaker enclosures painted with Alsa (sp?) chrome system. Looked good at 5 feet, but was obviously not chrome.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
I don't know what part(s) you're working with, but here are before and after photos of some chrome work I did on my old Mercedes-Benz bumpers. All the chrome sprays and quick fixes I experimented with were big disappointments, so I just cleaned up what I had.

Before:

BumperBefore.jpg

After:

BumperAfter.jpg

Tom

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
I used Rustoleum Chrome in a can on Bugsy I BE grille that did not have an eyebrow. On that it made grille look like Stainless but I did not have a flat eyebrow to paint. Trevor I thought you had a can of one of those expensive Chrome in a Can paints you were saving for something special. I'm assuming you tried and results were not so great?

dklawson

Yoda
I don't know what part(s) you're working with, but here are before and after photos of some chrome work I did on my old Mercedes-Benz bumpers. All the chrome sprays and quick fixes I experimented with were big disappointments, so I just cleaned up what I had.
Tom

Are you saying that the "after" picture is re-chromed? If you are saying "after" is from a spray... I am impressed.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Gerard

first and foremost what is the application and type of part you need chromed.

My '37 Chevy grille. Alternatives are to go with "Chrome" powder coat or paint it body color. I fear the cost of chroming may be frightful. I did email Knox Custom Chrome (recommended here) several days ago, but they haven't bothered to reply.

WP_002159.jpgWP_002157.jpg

Rut

Obi Wan
Country flag
Gerard, Jim does better with a phone call than email.
Rut

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
Are you saying that the "after" picture is re-chromed? If you are saying "after" is from a spray... I am impressed.

Doug - no "chrome spray" or re-chrome at all. First, I washed the bumpers with water and detergent, then rinsed and dried. Sprayed with phosphoric acid and allowed to sit for one hour. Washed again. Then scoured using copper wool and paint thinner until all the surface rust was removed. Washed again, dried, then waxed with Maguiar's Tech Wax.

Tom

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold

Hot Wings

Never even thought about CLR - but I can't find him using it on chrome in the link - just paint.

Tom

CLR just happens to be the favorite of some people for this, and it does work on chrome too. Plain oxyalic acid seems to work better for me on chrome. Far cheaper then H[SUB]2[/SUB]PO[SUB]4,[/SUB] but potentially toxic.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
WOW !

I am even more impressed. Thanks for the information !

I've been cleaning chrome with phosphoric acid for years. As long as you don't let it dry before rinsing, it does a wonderful job of removing/diminishing pits, etc., but there has to be chrome left for it to be effective. As you can see from my photos, there is virtually nothing left. Chrome of this vintage is actually very thin compared to later years, and doesn't seem to adhere near as well once it starts to deteriorate. In fact, check out the before pictures of my grille. The clean was done strictly with a phosphoric acid and waiter bath.

Third pic is half way through the process.

WP_001782.jpgWP_001855.jpgIMGP0061.jpgWP_002159.jpgWP_002169.jpg

Whitephrog

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Regarding Knox Custom Chrome, I agree with Rut. Jim is not an email sort of guy.

EvapoRust does a decent job cleaning up chrome as well.

HealeyRick

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
I've read a few threads on the HAMB over the years and frankly, I wouldn't trust the stuff. Lots of reports of it looking good at first, then turning yellow or spotting. Another big issue with something like a grille or bumper is that it's susceptible to road chips. I'd probably give it a shot for interior pieces or a piece of pot metal that would be tough to plate, but that would be about it.

NutmegCT

Great Pumpkin
Gold
One thing that always bothers me about those plugs for "spray on chrome" - there are very few examples showing exactly what you need and how you use it. And heaven help you if you try the YouTube links on those treatments - blaring music with bad camera work and again, no details. Even the Leno's Garage video leaves much to be desired - and the German website he mentions is nearly empty, and hasn't been updated in three years.

Onward through the fog.
Tom

I've read a few threads on the HAMB over the years and frankly, I wouldn't trust the stuff. Lots of reports of it looking good at first, then turning yellow or spotting. Another big issue with something like a grille or bumper is that it's susceptible to road chips. I'd probably give it a shot for interior pieces or a piece of pot metal that would be tough to plate, but that would be about it.

OP
Gerard

Gerard

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Regarding Knox Custom Chrome, I agree with Rut. Jim is not an email sort of guy.

EvapoRust does a decent job cleaning up chrome as well.

OK, I called and left message...