• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Anyone every spray paint/primer with one of these?

70herald

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Re: Anyone every spray paint/primer with one of th

you should be able to get a "20/20" paint job with it. It will look good 20 feet away at 20 MPH.

I am also EXTREMELY limited in terms of space, but I did get a small 2hp compressor. It is only about 2ft long 1 foot wide. Something like that will give you a much better paint job.

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
Just go and get some rattle cans of primer and spray it on. I'm assuming you just want to protect the metal until you process it further. Once you decide what you're going to do, the rattle can stuff can be easily sanded off if neccessary.

Edit: Besides that, you don't need any compressor to get a good $40 paint job. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smile.gif

Be sure to check out the results of the Aussie's work on page two of that thread. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/shocked.gif

Scott_Hower

Luke Skywalker
martx-5 said:
Just go and get some rattle cans of primer and spray it on. I'm assuming you just want to protect the metal until you process it further. Once you decide what you're going to do, the rattle can stuff can be easily sanded off if neccessary.

Thats what I did. I had a bunch of MGB parts stripped by Redi-Strip.

I bought a case of SEM self-etching primer from the local auto paint jobber (about $9/can). The stuff is nasty, so wear a mask (respirator with filters preferably). My local autozone sells it and I think Eastwood does too.

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Bear in mind that rust will go right through most primers. What you really need is a sealer or even a cheapo spray can of finish paint. As mentioned above it can / should be sanded off before you get serious but is a MUCH better protection than primer alone. Bob

I neglected to mention that many spray can paints are NOT compatible with regular auto paint. Rustoleum is one that comes to mind. Be prepared to test paint an area of spray can covered material before committing to the real thing.

DNK

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Buy yourself a little gravity fed gun. Doesn't need much of a compressor.

jackag91

Jedi Warrior
Also, I am not sure how well one of those paint guns would handle primer.

I have a little gravity feed HVLP detail gun that I have used on my bikes and after I spent a lot of time and wasted a lot of paint, I realized that I needed a bigger nozzle for the primer.

TR674

Jedi Warrior
martx-5
that is insane paintwork bt Aussie Driver. I suppose it would be working up the courage to apply the paint in that way. As he says 'its not the way the paint is applied, but the way it is finished'.
Regards
Craig

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
Trying to use a cheap airless sprayer for any form of automotive finishing sounds awfully iffy to me.

I haven’t seen a gun, gravity fed or otherwise, with specifications that are compatible with a compressor that will run off a 120V, 15A outlet. Not continuously anyway. Sata’s minijet will but they say it’s only for spot repairs, not large areas.

If space or outlet power are your limiting factors you could get a turbine spray system.
Lex-Aire
ApolloSpray
Turbinaire

PC.

G

I finally replaced my old horizontal air compressor with a nice new 26 gallon vertical model, on wheels yet, from Home Depot. Really nice unit that gives me all the air I need and has a footprint of about 18" square. Takes up no room at all, save vertical. And, it is all American made. Way under $400.
Runs any and all of my air tools. I would rank a decent air compressor at one of your most important tools. Quick-connected it to a Rapid Reel on the wall with 50' of hose.

OP
T

tdskip

Yoda
Country flag

Thanks for all of the help and ideas guys.

Those turbine sprayers are really interesting, but I'm starting to think I should just find the garage space for a unit similar to what Bill references above.

I probably will end up buying a larger compressor some day anyway, so I might as well just do it right now.

Thanks again guys.

D

DougF

I used a Wagner sprayer two years ago to paint the house. It did a nice job. Still had to have a paint brush handy for when it spit paint.
Thinner paint through that thing would be ugly. It might be possible, but a ton of work. You would be sanding paint for a year.
I painted my TR6 with a turbine system. It took time to get the system working properly as far as catalysts and reducers and temperature. The turbine blows warm air all the time, so the paint must be mixed with that in mind. My first coat looked like the surface of a basketball.
It is best to study and practice before using this system because it lays the paint on much heavier. There is no such thing as a tack coat. A definite advantage is less air flow from the unit causing less dirt in the paint.

Jon80spit

I have a Croix turbine paint system I bought from an aircraft supply company. Kind of expensive ($600), but plugs into 110v and is small and easy to take with you. Some of the new ones also supply breathing air. The best part is much reduced over spray. DougF is right about mixing. I have no problems with tack coats, but I do have several diffent tips. The regular guns use compressed air that is very cold when it atomizes the paint. The warm air my system produces makes the paint flow out faster.
The trick is always how much paint to put on in a coat. Too much makes orange peal. Too little and you don't get the wet look. I am still trying to get that right. Sometimes I have to re-shoot. I shoot a tack coat, wait an hour for the thinner to flash, then another tack, another hour, then a full wet coat. Usually works great.
Back to your question. Inside of panels, I would use weld through primer where you will arc and spot weld, and another primer and finish enamel everywhere else. Spray something cheep and easy to seal the outside. You will probably scratch it anyway. Just sand it off or if you use lacquer, remove it with lacquer thinner. You probably will will want to use a better product for the final finish.

YankeeTR

Luke Skywalker
That Wagner will really disappoint you. Your local body shop supply store can supply you with the SEM paint that was mentioned earlier...or get PPG in a can at https://www.towerpaint.com

I've seen guys buy a Wagner and throw it in the trash after one day...

martx-5

Yoda
Country flag
TR674 said:
martx-5
that is insane paintwork bt Aussie Driver. I suppose it would be working up the courage to apply the paint in that way. As he says 'its not the way the paint is applied, but the way it is finished'.
Regards
Craig

I watched one of the guys in the Triumph club paint his car the traditional way with an HVLP gun. Being a noobie at it, he had to do alot of sanding and polishing. He had his share of orange peel, runs, drips and errors. He got it to look really good, but the amount of work was considerable. Some panels he had to re-do. He also had to build a 'spray booth'. The prep before and after painting was very time consuming.

I was going to spray this car myself, but after seeing the roller method, and reading lots about it, I figure I've got nothing to lose except some time and a couple of quarts of marine paint. I've personally repaired every panel on this car, cut out tons of rust, made patch pieces, installed floors and boot panels and learned how to do lead work. Painting this car with a roller sure isn't intimidating after all of the other work. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/grin.gif

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag

TR6BILL said:
...Really nice unit that gives me all the air I need and has a footprint of about 18" square. Takes up no room at all, save vertical....
I don’t have any vertical space either, let alone a clear 18”x18” patch of floor. /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/frown.gif

PC.

Alan_Myers

Luke Skywalker
No, that's not really enough unless you are using an air brush and plan to spend months on the job. For decent sparying you also need to separate moisture and filter any and all oil out of the compressed air.

How about renting a compressor setup? Might even be able to rent an automotive paint gun, too.

Or, I saw a Maaco ad on TV that they are doing a half price deal right now... under $300 to spray an entire car! /bcforum/images/%%GRAEMLIN_URL%%/smirk.gif

PC

Obi Wan
Country flag
tdskip said:
How does this look?

Is 60 cfm of air @ 4 psi enough?...

Alan_Myers said:
No, that's not really enough unless you are using an air brush and plan to spend months on the job. For decent sparying you also need to separate moisture and filter any and all oil out of the compressed air. ...

tdskip’s link is to a turbine sprayer, not a compressor. It’s a different animal, special gun, no filter/seperators or moisture traps.

TP Tools claims their system will handle auto finishing but their specs do appear to be lower than other turbine manufacturers’.

PC.