• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Spitfire / GT6 Dashboard Help

nathandarby67

A big hello to all the Spitfire guys!

I have a small, but growing business making wood dashboards for (mostly) British sports cars. I want to add the Spitfire and GT6 to our line-up of dashboards we offer, and I need a little help from some of you Spitfire experts out there. What I need is examples of the different changes made to the Spitfire dashboards over the years. So for anyone that is willing to post pictures of your Spitfire or GT6 dashboard with the corresponding year model, this is the thread for it! If we could put together a timeline with a picture of a stock-configuration dashboard from each year, that would be GREAT! It would also be nice, I think, to have this thread as a reference for anyone down the line wanting to restore their car to the factory correct specs for any given year. I have one original spitfire dashboard to work from currently, but I am unsure which year car it came from.

Also, as another general question, are GT6 dashboards from a given year identical to the Spitfire dashboards from that same year, or are there differences?

Check out https://www.darbydashboards.com for a look at some of our work and the parts we offer. Thanks SO MUCH for the help guys!!

Nathan Darby

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
Sorry I don't have any pictures handy, but I can provide some information.

The "Mk1" GT6 dash is essentially unique to that car. The early Mk3 Spitfire center dash panel was wood veneer. From 1969 to the end of "Federal" Spitfire production, the general layout of the dash was similar to that of the GT6+ but was not wood veneer. Note that the ignition switch was moved from the dash to under the column (steering lock) with the 1970 models. Mk III GT6 dashes are very similar to that of the GT6+, although the arrangement of switches and gauges in the center panel changed at some point, perhaps around 1972. There was still no factory wood veneer dash in the Spitfire until the 1973 models (1500 in the US). Configuration remained similar, but different years had different (and, in some cases, additional) warning lights. Also, most GT6+ and MkIII models will have provision for two extra switches not found on a Spitfire, those being for dome light and rear window defroster.

I'm sure it will help you if you can get folks to send photos of original dashes for each model year of both Spitfire and GT6!

OP
nathandarby67

nathandarby67

Here is a picture of the old dash that I have. I figure it is a good place to start with this reference thread. Does anyone know what year models this dash is correct for?

Attachments

• 4787-spit.jpg
    4787-spit.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 215
M

Mike_Bouse

Well, that looks like it would fit my '69, but I have a black vinyl covered dash boards. The center board cutouts look identical. I am thinking those are previous owner gouges or hand made holes on the right board, correct?

As i am many owners past original, i am struggling in my restoration process right now with the dashboards. i would really like to know what those left most small holes are for.

Hope this helps. if anyone has some '69 federal dash board pictures they'd like to share, I am very interested too.

myspitfire

Jedi Warrior
You may want check out the Spitfire specific website at NASS(NorthAmericanSpitfireSquadron)they have a public NASS YAHOO WEBSITE to ask your question.Tell them Ken Moorhead(kenswhitelightning) sent you.You will definatly get more help there!Good Luck

Andrew Mace

Staff member
Country flag
nathandarby67 said:
Here is a picture of the old dash that I have. I figure it is a good place to start with this reference thread. Does anyone know what year models this dash is correct for?
My guess would be 1973 or 1974 Spitfire. It can't be later, since it still has a rectangular hole above the speedo and tach for the older style hazard flasher switch. And it can't be any earlier yet "original" since the wood dashes did not appear until 1973 models.

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
Is it a custom dash that's been modified? That looks more like burled walnut veneer, which was found in Jaguars but not Spitfires or GT6's, as far as I know.

At any rate it's got cutouts for a 70s dash: Fasten seatbelts light & square hazard switch. It's missing the cutout for the demister which would be present on the GT6.

cutlass29

Dash cutouts match my 1970 mk3 spit (late '70 with RAF badge on front). However the late '70 dash is vinyl, NO Wood. I've thought about fitting wood dash but interior is in good shape and stock...a bit reluctant to mess with that although it would look very nice.

I've tried to post some pics of my dash so you can see the matchup but haven't got it figured out yet. I've got the piccies saved on cox web space just gotta sort out the linkage.

OP
nathandarby67

nathandarby67

I believe it may be a custom dash, as you are correct in stating that it is not a fatory wood. I picked it up with a truckload (literally) of old mostly MGB parts I bought several years ago, so I have no way of knowing exactly what car it came from. Thanks for all the info so far.....very helpful.

TheAssociate

Jedi Hopeful
Here's a picture of my '73.

Adam H.

Attachments

• 4812-DashSmall.JPG
    4812-DashSmall.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 973

rotoflex

Jedi Trainee
TheAssociate said:
Here's a picture of my '73.

I believe the screws holding in your center section were originally black anodized oval-head philips screws on black anodized cup washers (not finishing washers).

the_more_you_know_224x.jpg

TheAssociate

Jedi Hopeful
That's a good eye Rotoflex. I decided to replace those original screws with stainless screws and washers. I got tired of looking at the rusty ones that were in the dash. They are not recessed like the original, but in my opinion are better. Is it possible to improve perfection? Well, yes.

Adam.