• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire GT6 or TR6 in a Spitfire?

MrP

I was just wondering if it would be possible to drop say a GT6 or TR6 6 cyl motor into a Spitfire? Has anyone ever seen something this done before?

MrP

G

I've heard that the GT6 motor is a relatively easy swap. You know the GT6 is practically a spitfire. I know someone who has a GT6 motor here in Memphis if your interested. I believe its complete except for carbs and transmission.

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: David Kiehna ]</p>

78Z

Darth Vader
Country flag
The easiest way too do this would be get a rusted GT6 and swap the Spitfire body onto a GT6. Then you get the brakes upgrade too. The weight distribution takes a bit of a hit though as the inline six is almost as heavy as a Ford 302 V8! Oh you need the GT6 bonnet/hood as well for the carbs and valve cover to clear.

Its a pretty popular swap so lots of info online. Try https://www.gt6.com/ as a start. Its got a nice webzine.

The TR6 motor doesn't fit as easy. Differs externally from GT6 in oil and carbs at least.

Basil

Administrator
Boss
Hmmm, a 6 cylinder Spitfire! Now there's an idea! I bet a GT6 wouldn't be too hard to drop into a Spitfire. Don't they have basically the same chassis forward of the firewall? I may have to look into that mod myself one of these days
driving.gif

Basil

[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: Basil ]</p>

Baxter

Jedi Trainee
I know it's trickier than you first think.. there's quite a few little differences between the two, and some fairly major ones. The frames are somewhere between slightly and very different, depending on exactly which year.. gas tanks are in different locations.

That said, it's a relatively simple swap, and it's certainly been done many many times.

G

My friend up the road dropped a GT6 engine into his TR3 resto. Stock-looking little bullet gives my souped up TR6 a run for the money...

Bill

Country flag
As 78Z said, there are several Spit/6' out there. The spifire tub on the GT6 frame is the best way to do the conversion, makes it a very fun car. It just so happens I have a project that was started that way. Good GT6 frame,bonnet and engine with the spifire body tub sitting on the frame, if anyone wants it I will let it go for $650. TR6's are my first love but I will try to save all the LBC's I can.

Marvin

OP
M

MrP

<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by David Kiehna:
I know someone who has a GT6 motor here in Memphis if your interested. I believe its complete except for carbs and transmission.
[ 01-16-2004: Message edited by: David Kiehna ]
<hr></blockquote>

Thanks for the offer, but I couldn't afford it right now anyway, I was just curious. It is something I might like to try some day when I'm not so poor
nonod.gif

MrP

spit6 guy

I have done the GT6 engine into the spitfire and
I will tell you that swappimg the bodies is the
way to go because I did it the other way and had a tough time getting the rear end in corect; so I finaly changed the frame to get it right. The only
thing that I would do is get the rear shock mount extention so that the shocks mount on the frame, not the body. After that the rest is just changing the gauges, the brake cables, and master cylinder because they are diffrent sizes.
kurt

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by BOXoROCKS:
I did the Spit/TR6 conversion, I would post a pix but dont know how<hr></blockquote>

Look at the tutorial under the "Help" menu above and select the "How do I post a picture" link. It will show you with actual forum screen shots how to do it.
Basil

Basil

Administrator
Boss
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Eric:
There's lots of info on Spit/GT6 conversions at

<hr></blockquote>

Excellent! Thanks for the link! I have dual webs on my Spitfire and am thinking of removing one and going with a single (I think two is too much carb for my setup). Great to see a reference on proper jet sizes, etc.

Basil
cheers.gif

BOXoROCKS

Jedi Knight
Well... Thanks for the tip. I read the tutorial, but I am one of those guys who doesn't think his life is all that interesting enough, to have a web page. Hopefully, the only time that I will be in print is on the obits page.