• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Spitfire Misc GT6/Spitfire Questions

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Ok <span style="font-weight: bold">first</span> one is Im having problems with my GT6 smith tachometer. I dont know if its broken, or just poorly installed. The distributor cable is brand new. When the car is idling, the needle slowly sways back and forth from 7000 to the 0 RPM stopping pin. (area on the bottom without numbers). When the car is turned off, the needle rests on the 7000, 5000, and sometimes 0, and in rare cases, will slowly move to other numbers when the car is off and when originally rested around 7000. If the needle were poorly installed I would just assume it would still function normally, just higher RPMs than usual. Instead its behavior seems to be completely random.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Second</span>, I was wondering if someone with an early spitfire could tell me how long their round knob choke cable is. Please dont go uninstalling for my sake. But if someone just happens to have one uninstalled, it would be awesome if you could measure it for me.

<span style="font-weight: bold">Third</span> - Early GT6/Spitfire interior question: I was wondering if someone could please get me the dimensions for #66 if their car still has these.
https://www.canleyclassics.com/?xhtml=xht...mp;showsubs=yes

Thanks.

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
UmmYeahOk said:
I dont know if its broken, or just poorly installed. The distributor cable is brand new.
Many new cables have the inner cable protruding too far from the outer cable. That can put pressure on the gauge mechanism and make it malfunction.

Try taking the connection partially apart (ie if it's a nut, unscrew the nut a few turns) and see what difference that makes. If it doesn't change the problem, then the mechanism needs to be serviced. Not necessarily 'broken', it might be as simple as oil where it shouldn't be, but something is wrong.

Sorry, can't help with the others.

dklawson

Yoda
I agree with Randall on the tach. I suspect it is the cable.

I could be wrong bit I think our car has the "wing" type choke knob with a carb butterfly symbol on it. Our car is under covers at the moment but when we next dig it out I'll look at the cable length for you.

It took a while to find #66 in the linked diagram. Those look like trim/skinny versions of the knee pads used on later Spitfires. They were not on our GT6 when we got it. If they ever were there... they were removed by my father-in-law years and years ago.

ArcticOne

On my 68 GT6:

Front and Rear: 3 1/2 inches wide (slight curve to profile so not exact)
Length: 26 inches

6 inches from the rear is a 1" x 3 1/2" oval shaped hole through which the seat belt feeds through.

The cover starts at the front of # 65 and ends at the rear of # 63.

Sorry for the imperial measurements, but it was the handy tapemeasure.

Can post some pics if needed.

jb

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
Thanks everyone! For some reason the batteries on 3 of our 4 vehicles are dead, including the triumph, so when I get that sorted I'll see if that'll fix my tach. I'm hoping that's it.

As for the interior pieces. My guess is it was intended to be the inside bolster of the seat. Many early MK1s I see have these missing. I don't know if they were removed to accommodate a larger rear end, or if they were just prone to damage. But the pieces they cover always show wear like something belonged there, because it did.

dklawson said:
I could be wrong bit I think our car has the "wing" type choke knob with a carb butterfly symbol on it. Our car is under covers at the moment but when we next dig it out I'll look at the cable length for you.

I think you're right. All the pics Ive found have it, and my owners manual has it too. I guess I said "round knob" because that's the one Victoria British sells. I currently have a $11 universal one, but would love to be able to use my old "wing" pull and chrome bezel. The choke cable I got may have not been for a GT6, or at least a MK1. It controlled two cables rather than one, the longest of the two operated my choke until my husband pulled too hard on it (frayed wires got stuck)

OP
UmmYeahOk

UmmYeahOk

Jedi Warrior
ArcticOne said:
Sorry for the imperial measurements, but it was the handy tapemeasure.

Thanks a bunch. Being a 60s british car, inches are preferred. I simply cannot have anything metric on my car (at least with this one) =)

I am making all my body panels myself, and these are the last pieces. Pics would be awesome, but I don't want to trouble you.

ArcticOne

A number of pictures will follow - tough at one per post.

Towards the bonnet

Attachments

• 25017.jpg
    25017.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 228

ArcticOne

Towards the boot

Can't get it all in one shot as the seat is in the way. Will take it out for some better pics.

Attachments

• 25018.jpg
    25018.jpg
    89.2 KB · Views: 232

ArcticOne

More detailed measurements:

Overall length: 26"

Front width: 4 1/4" ish
Middle width: 4 1/2"
Rear width: 3 1/2"

Measurements are not the best as it is not a flat piece, but more formed / shaped to hug the tunnel cover.

It is a very heavy plastic / rubber piece (almost 1/4" thick). Mine has a leather / leatherette covering.

I would not use mine as a template as I think it was hand fashioned. Likely best to measure up your particular car and also figure out how high up the e-brake console you want it to ride.

If you need anything else please let me know.

jb

Attachments

• 25019.jpg
    25019.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 229