• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

speedometer cable

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
My speedometer stopped working so I ordered a new cable. Is it as simple as unscrewing the old one and just replacing it w/ the new one? I can't find it in my manual and I don't want to just do it without asking first. Better safe than sorry.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well it is kind of simple. But if you tie a string on to the cable after you remove it from the speedo then carefully remove it by unscrewing the end at the tranny , you can then re thread the new one by following the path of the string. Be sure the washer at the tranny end is replaced.--Fwiw--Keoke

elrey

Darth Vader
Country flag
:yesnod: The old washer at the angle drive trick! Ignore at your peril. Mr. learn by doing. --elrey

Country flag
You can--I've done it many times--just unscrew the cable sheath at the back of the speedometer, then pull the cable out. You can then feed the new cable though the sheath and futz with it a little to get the squared-off end seated in the angle drive. Takes all of about 3 minutes. Of course, you'll get a new sheath with the cable and it's a good idea to replace both.

However, if your speedo stopped working suddenly it may not be the cable. Cables don't really wear out, though they can be kinked and, theoretically, break. But, if your cable broke the speedo itself may be locked-up--a much bigger problem. Or, you may have a problem in the angle drive.

Pull the cable out and inspect it before you shell out for a new one; if the cable isn't broken or kinked it's probably not your problem.

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Donny_L said:
Well,I put the cable in and still no speedometer. What else can it be?

Make sure the square end is seated correctly at both ends and there are no kinks in the cable if so then speedo must go to Nisonger or you can disassemble the angle drive by popping out the cover some time the grease in them gets hard and contributes to your problem. to reassemble clean the gears and cavity then load with grease put the cover back in and seal with a thin coat JB Weld.

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
The angle drive or speedometer. I would check the angle drive first because it's cheaper than sending in the speedometer. If you disconnect the cable from the back of the speedometer and move the car, the cable should turn. If it does - speedometer; if not - angle drive.

And, as Elray keeps pointing out, don't forget the washer if you replace the angle drive. It will break without it.

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
Okay, I took the angle drive off. there was no washer. There was a squared piece about 2 inches long that pulled out. Is that the broken end of the pinion drive?

Bob Claffie

Jedi Knight
Country flag
Please 'splain this washer fear. The Moss cat only shows a washer between the angle drive and the transmission, not at either end of the cable. Am I missing something or are they ? Bob

Keoke

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Donny_L said:
Okay, I took the angle drive off. there was no washer. There was a squared piece about 2 inches long that pulled out. Is that the broken end of the pinion drive?

No it is the coupling between the tranny and the angledrive.

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
The part that the coupling fits into turns when I put the car in gear and let the clutch out. So somthing in that angle piece is broken ??

OP
D

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
Thank God! It's fixed !! Can you believe that I reverse enginiered an old transmission I had out back. I remembered that it was part of the deal when my dad bought the car. Anyway, it had a piece that looked alot like the part I needed. Just took it off and gave it a try and it worked. Hooray!!! I don't even know what the spare transmission came out of but I'm sure glad I hung on to it after all these years. It's got some #'s on it; MOWOG 1B3764 . Anybody know what it's out of???