• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer and cable

Magyar

Country flag
I started to remove the speedo and cable from my 62 MKII. I believe the very tip of the cable is broken off at the transmission and the section that goes into the back of the speedo will not come out, that is without force. And at this point I don't want to force it. Any suggestions how to get the small piece out at the trans, I can't get with needlenose plyers, and who or where is a good place to send gauges and speedometers for repair?

Thanks, Magyar

OP
Magyar

Magyar

Country flag
I will give it a try in the morning, and thanks for the web page for the folks at NISONGER. I will contact them.

DrEntropy

Great Pumpkin
Platinum
Country flag
I'll 'second' Nisonger. Used 'em for years, no issues.

Which bit is stuck at the head? Is it the collar or the cable stuck in the drive?

My take is: the cable is scrap anyway so cut it an inch from the head and send it to Nisonger with th' 'stump' attached. The squared off end has likely twisted and jammed in the drive. From the description of the damage it sounds like the speedo seized first, cable kept spinning and twisted itself into a pretzel. You MAY be better off trying to locate a used speedo head.

Keep in mind I can't see it from here. After you cut the cable, see if the 'stump' spins the speedo.

OP
Magyar

Magyar

Country flag
Thanks Dr, it is exactly as you said. No doubt, the speedo seized and the cable jammed at the tranny and the speedo drive. I finally did get the cable out of the back of the speedo drive. I will need to work on getting it out of the gear at the tranny now. I assume that the nylon unit, looks to be 1-1/8", just needs to be backed out of the transmission. Is that correct, or are there any hidden tricks that I need to be aware of? I did call the good people of Nisonger and found them to be very friendly and very helpful. I'll send everything off to them and hopefully have the Sprite back on the road come spring weather. In Ohio, spring weather is anything over 35 degrees. I know I can motor the sprite without a speedo, however, my son is a State Highway Patrolman. If I get in trouble out on the road, I get it twice as bad when I get home. Go figure, just when you thought it was safe to go out and play.

Jim_Gruber

Yoda
Country flag
Magyar,

Not all speedos are the same. Different gearing for different rear ends. As a substitute until the speedo gets resolved, I installed a digital speedo using a bicycle speedo in Bugsy. Sigma BC1200 Wired not Wireless is on closeout for under $20. Goes to 180 mph. Round Button magnet JB Welded to outside of brake drum, I engineered a heavier duty magnetic reed switch(< $3.00 at a electronics surplus store) on a bracket I mounted to the LR Axle mounting U bolt, some wires(Old Telset curly cord takes care of axle movement in the back) run up to the cockpit through tranny tunnel and a bracket I fabricated to mount the display to the mirrior bracket. All told I have < $40 into the installation. Most of the parts and pieces came out of stuff I had in the garage. This really works slick and is dead on accurate. In doing over I'd opt for the Sigma with the lighted display for use at night or I'm planning on adding a little 12V LED directional lamp $6-8 at Big Box auto stores to provide illumination at night. An interesting engineering exercise and a fun project.

There are pics and details if you search this forum. I've got pics as well I can supply.