• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

TR2/3/3A Speedometer cable routing and dash switch layout.

John_Progess

Jedi Warrior
Country flag
I have an overdrive on my 60 TR3 which has the 96" long speedometer cable. Is there a preferred routing to the dash? Also I have checked pictures of car dash switch layout and mine seems different (I also have an aluminum windshield frame!). My dash has the panel light restate in the middle of the 3 switches based on the size of the hole in the dash. The panels I have seen have the panel light switch on the top of the 3 switches. Did they make a change at some point? Thanks for your help and have a good day!

John

TR3driver

Great Pumpkin - R.I.P
The speedo cable crosses over the engine on the ledge in front of the battery, with a clip and screw to hold it there. Then it makes a gradual bend down the firewall on the RH side and follows the inner frame rail (I think there should be a spring clip to the frame, but not certain where offhand) until it loops around and comes up through the floor behind the handbrake lever. Then through the boot, back through the hole in the transmission tunnel and onto the OD. I was seeing some damage where it went through the sheet metal, so I slit a length of old fuel line and put that over the cable as protection.

Here's a shot of TS38781LO with what I believe is the original cable routing and clip (although the screw is probably wrong).

The rheostat does belong in the center of the dash. Early cars had a simple switch located at the top, but there isn't really room there for the rheostat, so the rheostat was moved to the center and the wiper switch put at the top. You can see the later arrangement documented in Practical Hints 6th edition
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2...M2U2LWJhYWUtMjEyZDgxMzUyNzUw/view?usp=sharing

According to Bill Piggott, the rheostat appeared on some cars starting at approximately TS43000, but didn't become standard on all cars until TS60000. But the rheostat takes a larger hole than the simple switch, so the panel itself is different depending on whether the rheostat or switch was used originally.

fpstude

Silver
Country flag
Randall, thanks for the link to the TR3 Instruction Book. It will be a great help as I work on the TR3 at the California Auto Museum. The forum helped me find a flex oil hose earlier today.