• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer Cable Installation Problem

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Hello, BCF guys! I have searched through the archives but was unable to find an answer/recommendation, etc. to this particular problem involving the hook-up of the speedometer cable to the speedometer on my BJ8. As part of my new carpet/heat insulation installation I decided to fix the "jumping" speedometer by replacing the cable. The problem is that the cable does not want to connect up to the speedo. By this, I mean that when I try to insert the cable into the speedometer it does not easily slide in - it just doesn't want to enter in. I tried rotating the cable a bit by driving the car forward a few feet, but it didn't help at all (the tranny end is connected).I did find several posts on the "List" regarding that the extension cannot be more than 3/8 inch. I measured and my new cable appears to be exactly 3/8 inch extension. When very closely inspecting the end of the cable it is apparent that one of the wire threads is not "tight" to the cable - in other words, it is sticking out just a bit - virtually undetectable, small amount. Is this enough to cause the cable from entering the speedometer gearing? The cable is a new one from Moss - the package said "Made in UK". What to do? I am thinking perhaps that a very fine, light file work on the frayed strand might be the ticket. Any other ideas, comments, etc. would be greatly appreciated. I really don't want the hassle of having to go down to the tranny to disconnect the cable to return it and then reinstall another one if I can avoid it. Thanks in advance for your help! Steve

shorn

Jedi Knight
Country flag
you might try pulling out the inner cable and reversing it. Perhaps the other end might fit more easily into the back of the speedo.

AUSMHLY

Obi Wan
Country flag
Hello Stever,

I'd remove the gauge, so I could see what's going on. Removing the gauge is really easy. Behind the dash, there are two round nuts that hold the gauge in place. They unscrew by hand. Then the gauge will pull out through the front of the dash. Note where the wires go, or take a photo. Once you have the gauge out, you can take a look at how it's going in. Or in your case, why it's not feeding in.

Good luck,
Roger

MarkA

Jedi Trainee
I had a similar issue with a speedo cable from Moss. It was more than just a little tight. Since I was having the speedo worked on, I took the cable to the speedo shop and they cleaned it up with their a square crimping tool for making cables. All it really did was skinny it up a bit.

Mark

OP
S

stever

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
Well, the good news is that I got it working just fine - at least as far as I can tell at this point. I ended up taking the speedometer out of the dash and inspecting it. It was "jammed".....so I used a very small flat blade screwdriver to insert into the connector and rotated it. It was a bit stubborn but after a very little bit of twist it released and spun fine. So, then I took great care afterword to not force the cable into the connector on the gauge. I filed the cable very carefully with a jeweler's file until it would fit OK then reassembled. The filing took a while and the wrappings became quite thin. I also compared the extension length with the old cable and it was OK in that measurement. It reassembled fine and worked fine...so, the cable was a bit too large and by trying to get it in I jammed up the speedo. Thank you all for your inputs! Greatly appreciate the help!

Regards, Steve