• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Speedometer cable not spinning

Country flag
Hi all, If my speedo cable suddenly stopped spinning, and I'm guessing that I have to get to the angle drive. Can this be done from underneath, or do I have to pull up the carpet and tunnel?

Thanks!
Larry

John Turney

Yoda
Silver
Country flag
longbridgehealey said:
Hi all, If my speedo cable suddenly stopped spinning, and I'm guessing that I have to get to the angle drive. Can this be done from underneath, or do I have to pull up the carpet and tunnel?

Thanks!
Larry

On my BN4, I have to pull the carpet and tunnel.

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
I just changed mine out a few weeks ago. I might have been able to do it from under the car but it would have been a real bugger.I had to work on the overdrive too,so I took took out the tunnel and it was easy from there. the toughest part was getting the tunnel off. Doing it this way made it easy to clean it all out really well also.

Donny_L

Jedi Trainee
Bob would definatly know better than me. I'm completley new to all of this and that was the first one I ever had to do. His expierience has probably done this a few hundred times. If he says it can be done, I say do it his way. :smile:

bob hughes

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
For my money, I would go in from the top, much easier to see what you are doing and you can check on the state of the cable in this area and the clutch slave cylinder, line and the rubber gromet into the bell housing along with the overdrive cable, grease up the hardy spicer at the end of the drive shaft at the same time.

My trans cover is not fixed down and acces is easy.

:cheers:

Bob

Johnny

Darth Vader
Country flag
Hi Larry, hope I'm not too late to offer advice. I feel it's easier to go in from the top also. If it's stopped spinning altogether the culprit may be the angle drive. Usually what happens is the round bushing on the end facing you comes off and the gears fall out. If you're lucky they just fall or get wedged on something and can be recovered. You can put them together easily then secure the round bushing by staking it in place. You'll see what I mean when you have it off.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks everybody. I'm thinking in from the top (although I DON'T WANT TO!!). :wall: Can't get to it until next week, so I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Larry

Country flag
longbridgehealey said:
Thanks everybody. I'm thinking in from the top (although I DON'T WANT TO!!). :wall: Can't get to it until next week, so I'll keep you posted on the outcome.

Larry
Do it from the top. Plenty of access...

IMG_7989.jpg

IMG_8005.jpg

Legal Bill

Jedi Knight
Country flag
By the way, Beware of aftermarket speedo cables that are too long. I had a talk with the folks at Nissonger and they tell me that some of the aftermarket speedo cables have inner cables that are too long for the application and cause damage to the speedometer. With the cable installed at the transmission end, the inner cable should protrude exactly 7/16ths of an inch from the face of the metal collar that sits flush against the threaded fitting on the back of the speedometer. This is the case for my BJ8. Not sure if it is the same for other models with different speedos.

Country flag
If you're going to go to the trouble to remove the transmission cover I recommend you install a clutch bleeder extension while you're in there (I have a BJ8 and removing the cover is more trouble than with a roadster). Bleeding the clutch slave is a PITA, but with the extender it's a piece of cake (I had a sloppy pedal on a long road trip and bled the cylinder in a parking lot waiting for a steakhouse to open; took about 5min.).

Contact Doug Reid at mrfinespanner@earthlink.net

Country flag
I had the trany cover off and out in less than 20 minutes when I dropped the tubing in the gear box filler hole. And that is with a BJ8 radio and consul to remove. You don't have to pull it all the way up and out to get to the OD. You probably could get away with just removing the seat bottoms and the 8 screws that hold the cover to the floor and lift 4 or 5 inches. Putting mine back took a lot longer 'cause I cleaned a lot of stuff you don't get to see often.
I'm assuming you don't have a BJ8 with the consul by your Longbridge title.

OP
longbridgehealey
Country flag
Thanks, Bob - Doug is a good friend of mine. He put his (prototype) bleeder extension on both of my Sprites, and you're right, this is a great time to install it on the 100-6.

Larry