• The Roadster Factory Recovery Fund - Friends, as you may have heard, The Roadster Factory, a respected British Car Parts business in PA, suffered a total loss in a fire on Christmas Day. Read about it, discuss or ask questions >> HERE. The Triumph Register of America is sponsoring a fund raiser to help TRF get back on their feet. If you can help, vist >> their GoFundMe page.
  • Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

Roll Cage Side Protection

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Wondering what you guys who race are doing to meet the SCCA required side impact protection starting next year?

I'm looking at the SCCA GCR p103. Under subsection 7 it states that two side tubes are required connecting the front and rear hoops accross both door openings. These are 1.5" DOM tubes (minimum) per the regs.

The allowance that they can enter the door cavity really helps with elbow room, but how exactly can you clear the seat? Stock seats, miata seats and the poly buckets I've considered are all too wide to accomodate a 1.5" tube between them and the B pillars.

Thoughts? suggestions?

I figure I can't be the first to ponder this....

BTW - my 4x4 club got it's new JD2 Model 3 tube bender and 1.5"x4.5"x180-degree die in last week. Now I just need our bulk tubing order to be resolved /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Well takeing a chance here, but put em on the outside? Gesh what a solution. All you would need is a high tech name for them.

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
called exo-cages in the 4x4 world. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You're allowed to run them inside the door and modify the door accordingly, but to really make that work on a spridget I'd have to go through the b-pillar too, which isn't allowed (at least as I read it).

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rob, my door bars acually start at the plane of the rear bulkhead. They then angle outward and forward, and are inset into the "B" pillar. They extend out until they are nearly touching the inside of the door skin, before coming back in at the "A" pillar. I'm running a Kirkey 15" aluminum seat, which is 17" wide at the widest point, (the shoulders) including the upholstery. I've got 24" between the inside of the tunnel, and the inside of the door bar on the drivers side. I don't know how you are going to reconcile this with "Street" seats.

Of course, mine is a '62, without window mechanisms, inner door panels, or side impact beams to contend with. I don't see where you are prohibited from going into the "B" pillar.
What class are you preparing the car for? There are different standards for different classes. Your reference to pg 103 of the GCR refers to Showroom Stock cages.My rules are on pg 116.
Jeff

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
Thanks for the info Jeff.

I'm in SP which requires showroom stock cages.

My main hoop will tie in to the chassis behind the b-pillar, and going through it as you have seems the most logical aproach to me too, but I wasn't sure that was allowed....

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rob, I'll try to get a digital camera and take a couple of pictures of the way mine is built. One picture is worth......................
Jeff

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior
60' of 1.5" DOM 0.095 wall on order /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cheers.gif

For those wondering about steel prices, ended up costing $2.76/ft.....

Now I just need to figure out how I want to build it /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

OP
RobSelina

RobSelina

Jedi Warrior

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rob, here's a shot of the Spit, so you can see how tall I made the cage. The guy that bought it is much taller than I, and has no helmet clearance issues at all.
Jeff

Attachments

• 233608-LastSpit.jpg
    233608-LastSpit.jpg
    66.4 KB · Views: 76

Bugeye58

Yoda
Rob, here's one of the Sprite, that somebody took, and then photoshopped as a joke. I wasn't really on the grid.
Jeff

Attachments

• 233609-JeffGrid.jpg
    233609-JeffGrid.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 90

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
Ahh, Jeff. Bummer, looked like you had that intense look in your eye even.

Bugeye58

Yoda
Jack, that picture was actually taken in the driveway of good friend, and fellow forum member, Tim Hollister. I was just trying it on for size before getting it home, and Tims wife shot it from the 2nd floor deck, unbeknownst to me. It then magically appeared on our Waterford Hills website.
It's funny you should mention intensity, as after a race one day, someone came over to me, and said they had been trying to get my attention while I was on the grid. I was so focused, that I never even saw them! I was already on track, in my minds eye.
Jeff

aeronca65t

Great Pumpkin
[ QUOTE ]
Rob, here's one of the Sprite, that somebody took, and then photoshopped as a joke. I wasn't really on the grid.
Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah Ha!
The super-secret invisible engine!
Very light and impossible to test for illegal parts!

I've always wanted one of those.. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/jester.gif

Bugeye58

Yoda
Actually, Nial, there's a 1275 in it in that picture. The ugly orangish blob is the cylinder head. It's got a proper, 94 HP 948 in it now, although I <u>am</u> running double ultra secret rods made of clear Titanium! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazyeyes.gif
Jeff

jlaird

Great Pumpkin
Country flag
94 HP 948, oh my goodness. How can that be?

One day Jeff you are going to have to send me an email and tell me all about that.