• Hey there Guest!
    If you enjoy BCF and find our forum a useful resource, if you appreciate not having ads pop up all over the place and you want to ensure we can stay online - Please consider supporting with an "optional" low-cost annual subscription.
    **Upgrade Now**
    (PS: Subscribers don't see this UGLY banner)
Tips
Tips

roll cage designs

57_BN4

Hi Guys,

I'm doing some work to resurrect an old race car that was last campaigned in the 70s. It is fitted with a home-made rollcage that isn't of a particularly good design, nor does it look very well constructed.

There is a front hoop welded across the heater plenum box under the dash and turns down to meet the front outriggers (no reinforcing, just arc welded onto the floor next to the hinge pillar). The main hoop picks up the rear outriggers next to the shut pillar, again just welded to the floor and has two intrusion bars each side running forward to the front hoop across the door openings. There is a third bar across behind the seats for the harness mounts and the main hoop is tied back to the top of the rear bulkhead with bolted plates. The doors are bolted shut as they are pretty much useless with the side beams occupying the openings.

Has anyone got pics of a good 4 seater Healey rollcage design? The doors will be made functional again so the car can be road registered which means the side impact bars have to go or be lower down. Ideally when finished it will fit under a factory roadster hardtop and look something like this from the outside.

IMG_7524.jpg

How important is it to tie across the door openings for structural rigidity in a Healey? I see a few bolt-in half cage designs which have nothing forward of the shut pillar and obviously don't add anything to the strength of the car, is this a better approach? The car won't be used for anything more than weekend club racing as it is more of a semi-retirement project.

Andy.

Country flag
This setup had been revised by the time I had the Healey running (simpler design behind the main hoop/relocated diagonal bar) and though made for a 2-seater, the same pattern could be applied to the 4-seater by eliminating the kink in the aft support bars (necessary the clear the smaller cockpit opening).

Healey_Rollcage.jpg

There are fabricated sockets bolted into the original rectangle front supports to accept these bars running forward. At present, they're the only pieces that remain in the car, as I wasn't about to remove the doors and fenders to get them out! Those cuts had to be made to rotate the bars into position.

cai_003.jpg

This was the final iteration of the main hoop:

ws_023.jpg

Then, I made another rear main hoop altogether, more of a "strret" rollbar, abandoning the B-pillar attachment points and provision for side bars. Details of that are here: https://www.spcarsplus.com/gallery3/index.php/tube_works

IMG_6136.jpg

IMG_6166.jpg

IMG_6172.jpg

IMG_6178.jpg

IMG_6190.jpg

IMG_6193.jpg

IMG_6194.jpg

The under and backsides where the rear support bars bolt to the deck/bulkhead have plates that also provide a mount for rear tube shock absorbers.

IMG_6195.jpg

Anyway, some food for thought :cheers:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
Here in the Uk the only people using full cages are the full blown racers. Those of us that hill climb, sprint and do track days tend to use the triangulated roll bar set up similar to that shown on the Dennis Welch website. These are made by a firm called Safety Devices and fit under a hard top. I think this should be more than sufficient for your needs.

OP

57_BN4

Thanks for the pics Randy, much food for thought. I think the final installation will end up like the Safety Devices design but I am concerned with the lack of torsional rigidity in the front as the Healey relies almost entirely on the main chassis rails to connect the engine/front suspension to the rest of the car with just a thin section each side next to the brake master cylinder for support. I do like the idea of your bars running from the suspension tower back to the outer edges of the firewall.

Here is the car in it's last running state. The main roll bar has been lopped off at the top of the doors and a completely separate hoop is bolted through the floor sheetmetal (!) behind the driver.
image002.jpg

Andy.

Country flag
That car/picture looks very familiar; hardly anybody ever uses "#13"** for their car number, so it must've been pictures of the same car!

** superstition abounds in racing, bordering on lunacy! So a car numbered "13" is TaBoo :cheers:

DerekJ

Luke Skywalker
Country flag
I know its not relevant to this discussion but just for information purposes, under FIA rules and most other series, you would not be able to race with a cage like Randy's as it would be deemed to give too much additional rigidity to the chassis.

Country flag
I know its not relevant to this discussion but just for information purposes, under FIA rules and most other series, you would not be able to race with a cage like Randy's as it would be deemed to give too much additional rigidity to the chassis.
At the time I designed and constructed it (1986-1987) it conformed to the SCCA's GCR (General Competition Rules) for diameter/wall thickness and number of attachment points for the car's weight.

While it may not fall into the spirit of current worldwide vintage guidelines, it wasn't just thrown together without any forethought. I had planned to use the car for SCCA Solo I & II events, and for that, it was a 100% legal rollcage.

Making the chassis more ridgid was a << calculated >> by-product :cheers:

OP

57_BN4

The car was built to SCCA "D Production" in California some time in the 70s and I can only imagine the tech inspection wasn't too much of an involved process as the cage is only welded on the bits you can see. Any tubework near the body is unconnected. What is in there wouldn't comply with anything today so it is going to get cut out as soon as the rain stops. What goes back in will (thanks Derek) be based on a lot of reading of rule books about what is allowed.

Here is it's for-sale ad from December 1976 Healey Highlights. Dennis "Crusty" is still around and we are trying to get hold of him. He is out in the desert racing dune buggies or something at the moment.
HH 1976.PNG

Andy.

Last edited:

Randy_Gay

Jedi Trainee
Country flag
I think this the former John Swann car as pictured in the Chris Harvey book ' Healey the Handsome Brute'. It was prepared in San Fransisco according to the book. It carried #13 and had torque thrust wheels and a side exhaust.

OP

57_BN4

Hi Randy,

Yes it is. You can probably just make out "Swann Healey" on the door in the pic. Can you please send me a scan or photo of the page in Chris Harvey's book? I can't find it for sale locally.

Andy.

OP

57_BN4

Borrowed a copy of the book now so all good. Here is the pic if anyone else is interested.
p139.jpg

Andy.